Fairmount Heights, Maryland
|Fairmount Heights, Maryland|
|— Town —|
|Town of Fairmount Heights|
|Country||United States of America|
|• Type||Mayor-council government|
|• Mayor||Lillie Thompson-Martin|
|• Total||0.27 sq mi (0.70 km2)|
|• Land||0.27 sq mi (0.70 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||98 ft (30 m)|
|• Estimate (2011)||1,508|
|• Density||5,533.3/sq mi (2,136.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0597387|
Fairmount Heights is a town in Prince George's County, Maryland, United States. The population was 1,494 at the 2010 census. The town was formally incorporated in 1935, making the town the second oldest African-American-majority municipality in Prince George's County. The town is composed of six subdivisions: Fairmount Heights (1900), Waterford (1907), Mount Weissner (1909), North Fairmount Heights (1910), West Fairmount Heights (1911) and Sylvan Vista (1923).
- Robert S. Nichols (1935-1937)
- Ulysses Markall (1937-1941)
- George H. Patterson (1941-1943)
- James A. Campbell (1943-1955)
- Doswell E. Brooks (1955-1967)
- Lawrence L. Brooks, Sr. (1967-1973)
- Charles C. Davis (1973-1977)
- Robert R. Gray (1977-1991)
- Ruth S. Brown (1991-1993)
- Jerome T. Countee (1993-1997)
- Kathleen T. Scott (1997-1998)
- R. Dean Cooks * (1998-1999)
- Johnnie R. Saxton (1999-2003)
- Lillie Thompson-Martin (2003-2007)
- Madeline E. Richardson (2007-2009)
- Nathaniel R. Mines, Jr. (2009-2011)
- Lillie Thompson-Martin (2011-present)
(*)- Served as acting mayor
 Town government
The Town Council of Fairmount Heights consists of six elected councilmembers and an elected mayor who sits as chair of the council. The mayor and councilmembers are elected to serve for two years. The following are current officers of the town:
- Mayor: Lillie Thompson-Martin, 2013
- Councilmember: Kevin Downing, 2013
- Councilmember: Harry Saunder, 2013
- Councilmember: Aaron Wilson, 2013
- Councilmember: Andina Keith, 2014
- Councilmember: Patricia Waiters, 2014
- Councilmember: Jacqueline Wood-Dodson, 2014
 Notable residents
- Prominent architect William Sidney Pittman built his home on Eastern Avenue; his wife, Portia, was the daughter of Booker T. Washington, founder of the Tuskegee Institute.
 Historic sites
Fairmount Heights Historic District
|Area:||144 acres (58 ha)|
|Architectural style:||Colonial Revival, Tudor, Ranch, Bungalow/Craftsman|
|Added to NRHP:||November 18, 2011|
The following is a list of historic sites in Fairmount Heights identified by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission. On November 18, 2011, the Town of Fairmount Heights was added to the National Register of Historic Places as the Fairmont Heights Historic District.
|Site name||Image||Location||M-NCPPC Inventory Number||Comment|
|1||Samuel Hargrove House||5907 K Street||72-009-17|
|2||W. Sidney Pittman House||505 Eastern Avenue||72-009-18|
|3||Alice Dorsey House||910 59th Avenue||72-009-23|
|4||Fairmount Heights (Grace) Methodist Episcopal Church||716 59th Avenue||72-009-25|
|5||Trammell-Taylor House||717 59th Avenue||72-009-26|
|6||Towles-Brooks House||708 59th Avenue||72-009-27|
|7||Louis Brown House||701 58th Avenue||72-009-28|
|8||World War II Monument||Corner of 59th Avenue and 59th Place||72-009-29|
|9||Isaac Brown House||715 59th Place||72-009-30|
|10||William B. Coles House||730 60th Avenue||72-009-31|
|11||John S. Johnson House||612 60th Place||72-009-32|
|12||Henry Pinckney House||608 60th Place||72-009-33|
|13||Cornelius Fonville House||602 60th Place||72-009-35|
|14||Doswell Brooks House||6107 Foote Street||72-009-36|
|15||Charity Hall||715 61st Avenue||72-009-38|
|16||Robert S. Nichols House||802 58th Avenue||72-009-39|
|17||Bungalow Row House #1||610 62nd Avenue||72-009-41|
|18||Prince Albert Washington House||949 Eastern Avenue||72-009-43|
|19||Bungalow Row House #2||700 62nd Avenue||72-009-45|
|20||Bungalow Row House #3||709 62nd Avenue||72-009-46|
|21||Bungalow Row House #4||711 62nd Avenue||72-009-47|
|22||Tyrone and Caroline Bush House||5603 Addison Road||72-009-48|
 Bordering areas
Fairmount Heights is located at .(38.901761, -76.914504)
 2010 census
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,494 people, 517 households, and 370 families residing in the town. The population density was 5,533.3 inhabitants per square mile (2,136.4 /km2). There were 589 housing units at an average density of 2,181.5 per square mile (842.3 /km2). The racial makeup of the town was 2.9% White, 88.6% African American, 0.4% Native American, 0.8% Asian, 5.3% from other races, and 1.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.1% of the population.
There were 517 households out of which 36.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 30.0% were married couples living together, 33.5% had a female householder with no husband present, 8.1% had a male householder with no wife present, and 28.4% were non-families. 24.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.88 and the average family size was 3.34.
The median age in the town was 37.3 years. 24.8% of residents were under the age of 18; 10.3% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 25.7% were from 25 to 44; 27.3% were from 45 to 64; and 12% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the town was 49.2% male and 50.8% female.
 2000 census
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,508 people, 498 households, and 361 families residing in the town. The population density was 5,622.7 people per square mile (2,156.5/km²). There were 561 housing units at an average density of 2,091.7 per square mile (802.2/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 1.13% White, 95.82% African American, 0.27% Native American, 0.07% Asian, 0.60% from other races, and 2.12% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.13% of the population.
There were 498 households out of which 29.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 36.9% were married couples living together, 26.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.5% were non-families. 21.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.03 and the average family size was 3.52.
In the town the population was spread out with 29.0% under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 28.0% from 25 to 44, 24.0% from 45 to 64, and 11.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 89.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.2 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $48,250, and the median income for a family was $53,304. Males had a median income of $34,107 versus $34,327 for females. The per capita income for the town was $17,966. About 6.9% of families and 9.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.3% of those under age 18 and 4.0% of those age 65 or over.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-25.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-25.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-25.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Fairmount Heights, Maryland
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Fairmount Heights town, Maryland". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Fairmount Heights, Prince George's County, Maryland
- Fairmount Heights, Prince George's County, Maryland
- "National Register of Historic Places Listings". Weekly List of Actions Taken on Properties: 11/14/11 through 11/18/11. National Park Service. 2011-11-25.
- M-NCPPC African-American Heritage Survey.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.