Location in Hillsborough County and the state of Florida
|• Total||16.4 sq mi (42.5 km2)|
|• Land||16.3 sq mi (42.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||62 ft (19 m)|
|• Density||121.4/sq mi (46.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1853251|
FishHawk is an unincorporated census-designated place in Hillsborough County, Florida, United States. As of the 2010 census, the community had a total population of 14,087. The place name is derived from Fish Hawk Creek, a tributary of the Alafia River that joins the Alafia just west of Lithia Springs.
FishHawk is located at (27.852803, -82.208592).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the community has a total area of 16.4 square miles (42 km2), of which, 16.4 square miles (42 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (0.37%) is water.
FishHawk is a community comprising several subdivisions, or "mini communities", located in Lithia, Florida.
The subdivisions that make up FishHawk are Starling at FishHawk (CDD2 and CDD3), The Preserve (CDD3), and FishHawk Ranch (CDD1, CDD2 and CDD4). These neighborhoods are located approximately sixteen miles east of Tampa, Florida just south of the Alafia River. FishHawk Trails and Fishhawk Ranch formerly operated as a "ranch"; these two subdivisions were built by two different companies in the 1990s.
Before these subdivisions were constructed Fishhawk Trails was originally a wooded location which a CSX Transportation rail track path passed through. The rail tracks were removed in the late 1980s. There was once a train station in the FishHawk area that was the main import / export area of supplies, mail, and food for Lithia residents. The train station no longer exists.
Starling at FishHawk and The Preserve were previously an undeveloped wildlife habitat. The Florida Green Building Coalition has named FishHawk as a "green" community, the first in Hillsborough County and the largest in the Tampa area. The National Arbor Day Foundation and the State of Florida have also honored the FishHawk community preservation efforts.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,991 people, 678 households, and 581 families residing in the community. The population density was 121.8 people per square mile (47.0/km²). There were 798 housing units at an average density of 48.8/sq mi (18.8/km²). The racial makeup of the community was 91.41% White, 4.12% Black, 0.15% Native American, 0.80% Asian, 2.06% from other races, and 1.46% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.08% of the population.
There were 678 households out of which 43.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 76.0% were married couples living together, 6.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 14.3% were non-families. 10.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.94 and the average family size was 3.16.
In the community the population was spread out with 29.6% under the age of 18, 5.6% from 18 to 24, 35.7% from 25 to 44, 23.1% from 45 to 64, and 6.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 98.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.4 males.
The median income for a household in the community was $65,857, and the median income for a family was $67,286. Males had a median income of $42,321 versus $35,662 for females. The per capita income for the community was $26,540. About 2.0% of families and 3.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.6% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
The area was transformed by development in the next decade, with the population growing over 700%, from under 2000 to 14,087 in the 2010 census, while the median household income also increased dramatically from %65,857 to $107,250. To accommodate the rapid growth, The Hillsborough County School District opened several new schools in the area, including Newsome High School in 2003.
- Barrington Middle School (Public, 6-8)
- Bevis Elementary (Public, K-5)
- Bell Creek Academy (Charter, 6-9)
- FishHawk Creek Elementary (Public, K-5)
- Foundation Christian Academy (Private, Churches of Christ, K-12)
- Lithia Springs Elementary (Public, K-5)
- Newsome High School (Public, 9-12)
- Pinecrest Elementary (Public, K-5)
- Randall Middle School (Public, 6-8)
- St. Stephen's Catholic School (Private, Catholic, K-12)
- Stowers Elementary (Public, K-5)
- Valrico Lake Advantage Academy (Charter, K-5)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Florida Trend Report 2: State and Complete Places (Sub-state 2010 Census Data). Missouri Census Data Center. Accessed 2011-04-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING (1790-2000)". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- "Fish Hawk CDP, Florida". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 20 February 2014.