Fremont High School (Oakland, California)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2009)|
|Fremont High School|
|Location||4610 Foothill Blvd, Oakland CA,
Oakland, California, USA
|District||Oakland Unified School District|
|Colors||Green and Gold|
|Newspaper||Green and Gold|
Fremont High School, is an urban public high school located in the Fruitvale District of East Oakland, California. It was formerly a group of smaller high schools located on the same campus and known as Fremont Federation of High Schools. The school's present configuration is that of the "wall to wall" career academies model, consisting of a 9th Grade House which feeds into one of three California Partnership Academies (CPA), specifically the Architecture Academy, Mandela Law & Public Service Academy, and Media Academy.
Part of the Oakland Unified School District, and located at 4610 Foothill Blvd since 1905, the school was split into four smaller autonomous schools in 2003. The four schools were:
- College Preparatory and Architecture Academy
- Mandela High School
- Media College Preparatory High School
- Paul Robeson School, Visual and Performing Arts (closed after the 2009-2010 school year).
The three high schools remained and had their own administration up to Spring 2011. They functioned separately, though located on the same campus and used the same library, and well as having common sports teams under the Fremont High School banner.
After Spring 2011, as part of an Oakland Unified School District decision to slowly reverse the small school system, the three remaining schools became less autonomous. The 2011-2012 school year reintroduced a central administration with three separate entities and budgets on campus: Mandela High, Media High, and CPAA. In 2012, the Fremont Federation of High Schools again became Fremont High School, with one single administration.
California's API scores are on a scale of 200-1000, with a statewide median around 750. In 2009, Fremont Federation's schools received the following scores
- Mandela High School: 528
- Media College Prep. High School: 519
- Robeson Visual and Performing Arts High School: 483
In 2010, Fremont Federation of High Schools received the following scores:
- Mandela High School: 538
- Media College Prep. High School: 619
- College Preparatory and Architecture Academy: 604
- Florence Wysinger Allen, artist's model
- Lester Conner, professional basketball player and coach
- Darrell J. Doughty, biblical scholar
- Ken Hofmann, real estate developer and former co-owner of the Oakland Athletics and Seattle Seahawks
- Steve Hosey, major league baseball player
- Sten Odenwald, astronomer
- Donald G. Reed, actor and comedian
- Ade Schwammel, professional football player
- Too Short, Oakland rapper
- Henry Turner, professional basketball player
- "Brief History of Fremont" at Fremont High School official website (accessed 2012-01-17).
- Oakland Unified School District SARC site
- California Department of Education Average Performance Index
- J.L. Pimsleur, "Flo Allen -- Legendary Artist's Model", San Francisco Chronicle, June 18, 1997.
- Lester Conner bio at Atlanta Hawks official website.
- "Darrell J. Doughty", Portland Press Herald, May 31, 2009.
- Kenneth H. Hofmann: 1986 Honoree, California Homebuilding Foundation Hall of Fame (accessed 2013-01-16).
- Sean Waters, "They Are Struggling to Make It to the Top", Los Angeles Times, July 5, 1992.
- Don Reed Tells Life Tale In 'East 14th', NPR, August 12, 2008
- Ade Schwammel at DatabaseFootball.com
- Chip Johnson, "Too $hort singing a new tune", San Francisco Chronicle, December 26, 2006.
- Henry Turner at basketball-reference. com