Full Circle (The Doors album)
|Studio album by The Doors|
|Released||August 15, 1972|
|Recorded||Spring 1972, A&M Studios, Hollywood, Californiausing 16-track recording console|
|Genre||Funk rock, jazz fusion|
|The Doors chronology|
Full Circle is the eighth studio album by The Doors, released in August 1972. It is the second album after Jim Morrison's death, and would be the last album they would compile until 1978's An American Prayer. The album includes "The Mosquito", the last Doors' single to chart.
|1.||"Get Up and Dance" (Robby Krieger, Ray Manzarek)||2:26|
|2.||"4 Billion Souls" (Krieger)||3:18|
|3.||"Verdilac" (Krieger, Manzarek)||5:40|
|4.||"Hardwood Floor" (Krieger)||3:38|
|5.||"Good Rockin'" (Roy Brown)||4:22|
|6.||"The Mosquito" (John Densmore, Krieger, Manzarek)||5:16|
|7.||"The Piano Bird" (Jack Conrad, Densmore)||5:50|
|8.||"It Slipped My Mind" (Krieger)||3:11|
|9.||"The Peking King and the New York Queen" (Manzarek)||6:25|
In 1972, the Doors released "Get Up and Dance" as a single in the UK; the B-side was the non-album "Tree Trunk", one of only three non-album studio tracks released by the band.
According to Robby Krieger, the track was left off the album because "it sounded too commercial." The song was finally given official release as part of the Japan edition of the Doors Singles Box in 2013. 
The Doors have largely disregarded the two post-Morrison albums, with no official American CD releases of the albums. Full Circle was released on CD October 23, 2006 by the Timeless Holland label, along with the previous (post-Morrison) Doors album Other Voices.
It is relatively easy to find unofficial CD copies of Full Circle and Other Voices on the Internet, but most of these vinyl-to-CD transfers do not contain the single-only "Treetrunk", except for the Howling Wolf Records 2010 release of the two albums on one CD. This release also featured the edited single versions of "The Mosquito" and "The Piano Bird." "Treetrunk" was finally given official release as part of the Japan edition of the Doors Singles Box in 2013.
The Doors' management has stated they are not in possession of the master tapes to the two post-Morrison albums, but remastered tracks from both of them can nevertheless be found on later official releases. The only track from Full Circle the Doors have reissued is "The Mosquito". The track was released in 2000 as "No Me Moleste Mosquito" on the double-disc version of The Best of the Doors.
On September 27, 2011, the Doors finally gave Full Circle, along with Other Voices, its first official reissue that's currently available only for digital download via stores such as iTunes, Amazon.com and eMusic. It was confirmed that the original master tapes were used for these reissues.
- The Doors
- Ray Manzarek – lead vocals, keyboards
- Robby Krieger – lead vocals, guitar, harmonica
- John Densmore – drums
- Additional personnel
- Chico Batera – percussion on "The Piano Bird" and "The Peking King and the New York Queen"
- Jack Conrad – bass on "4 Billion Souls", "Good Rockin", "The Piano Bird" and "The Peking King and the New York Queen"
- Chris Ethridge – bass on "Get Up and Dance"
- Venetta Fields – vocals
- Bobbye Hall – percussion on "Verdilac", "The Piano Bird" and "The Peking King and the New York Queen"
- Clydie King – vocals
- Charles Larkey – bass on "Verdilac" and "The Piano Bird"
- Charles Lloyd – tenor saxophone on "Verdilac", flute on "The Piano Bird"
- Melissa MacKay – vocals
- Leland Sklar – bass on "Hardwood Floor", "The Mosquito" and "It Slipped My Mind"
- Technical staff and artwork
- The Doors – producer
- Henry Lewy – engineer
- Pacific Eye & Ear – cover concept
- Joe Garnett – cover illustration
Billboard (North America)
B-side: "It Slipped My Mind"
|1972||"Get Up and Dance"
B-side: "Tree Trunk"
|UK Pop Singles||84|
|1972||"The Piano Bird"
B-side: "Good Rockin"
- "The Doors - Full Circle". thedoors.com. Retrieved February 17, 2015.
- Full Circle: Liner notes
- Full Circle (The Doors album) at AllMusic
- "Robert Christgau: Album: The Doors: Full Circle". Retrieved July 26, 2011.
- "The Robby Krieger interview".
- "MOJO's Doors Page > Collection > Audio > The Doors Official Releases". Asahi-net.or.jp. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- OV/FC Master Tape Discussion "Full Circle Master Tapes". freedomman.com. Retrieved February 17, 2015.
- Full Circle - Charts & Awards at AllMusic
- Whitburn,Joel. The Billboard Hot 100 Annual 1955-2005. Menomonee Falls: Record Research, 2006
- "Other Voices/Full Circle". popmatters.com. Retrieved February 17, 2015.