Goshen Township, Auglaize County, Ohio
|Goshen Township, Auglaize County, Ohio|
Fields in southeastern Goshen Township
Location of Goshen Township in Auglaize County
|• Total||17.9 sq mi (46.3 km2)|
|• Land||17.9 sq mi (46.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,024 ft (312 m)|
|• Density||30/sq mi (11.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085765|
Located in the southern part of the eastern edge of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Wayne Township - north
- Roundhead Township, Hardin County - east
- Stokes Township, Logan County - south
- Clay Township - southwest
- Union Township - northwest
Goshen Township contains slightly less than eighteen square miles. It is the smallest township in terms of both population and area in Auglaize County. The southeastern part of the township is located in the Virginia Military District.
Name and history
The township was also involved in one of the last county border changes in Ohio. This change occurred in 1888 when part of Stokes Township in Logan County was exchanged to Clay Township for part of Goshen Township.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
The current trustees are Gary Horn, Donald Spangler, and Larry Williams, and Jodi Hennon is the township clerk. The trustees themselves plow snow and mow along the roads in the township. On November 6, 2007, Edward Spencer was elected to replace Larry Williams in January 2008.
The Waynesfield-Goshen School District encompasses a large part of the township, with small portions in the northeast served by the Upper Scioto Valley Local School District.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Goshen township, Auglaize County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 10, 2013.
- Auglaize County, Ohio 2006 Highway Map Auglaize County Engineer's Office, 2006. Accessed 5 July 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Auglaize County, Ohio Atlas and History, Piqua: Magee Brother Publishing, 1917. Accessed 5 July 2007. Page 123.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.