Salem Township, Auglaize County, Ohio
|Salem Township, Ohio|
|• Total||24.8 sq mi (64.2 km2)|
|• Land||24.8 sq mi (64.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||817 ft (249 m)|
|• Density||20/sq mi (7.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085772|
Located in the northwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Jennings Township, Van Wert County - north
- Spencer Township, Allen County - northeast
- Logan Township - east
- Noble Township - south
- Center Township, Mercer County - southwest
- Union Township, Mercer County - west
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Salem Township has an area of 24.8 square miles (64.2 km2).
Name and history
After the creation of Auglaize County in 1848, the remaining portions of Salem Township were joined with the northern portions of what was then Wayne Township in Mercer County.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
The township is split between Spencerville Local Schools and the Saint Marys City School District.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Salem township, Auglaize County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 11, 2013.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- History of Western Ohio and Auglaize County, Wapakoneta: W.M. Linn & Sons, 1905. Accessed 17 August 2009.
- Auglaize County, Ohio Atlas and History, Piqua: Magee Brother Publishing, 1917. Accessed 05 July 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.