Henry Dickerson McDaniel
|Henry Dickerson McDaniel|
|52nd Governor of Georgia|
|Preceded by||James S. Boynton|
|Succeeded by||John B. Gordon|
|Born||September 4, 1836
|Died||July 25, 1926 (aged 89)|
|Allegiance||Confederate States of America|
|Service/branch||Confederate States Army|
|Unit||11th Georgia Infantry|
|Battles/wars||American Civil War|
Henry Dickerson McDaniel (September 4, 1836 – July 25, 1926) was the 52nd Governor of Georgia from 1883 to 1886.
Born in Monroe, Georgia, to Ira McDaniel, one of the first professors of Mercer University, McDaniel graduated at the head of his class in law at Mercer and established a practice in his home town. He was the youngest delegate to Georgia's succession convention in 1861, and later served in the Confederate Army. He first attracted attention during the American Civil War for taking command of the 11th Georgia Infantry after the death of his officers at the Battle of Gettysburg. Eight days after the battle, he was shot by a Union soldier at Funkstown, Maryland, and spent the rest of the war in a POW camp.
He was a member of the Democratic Party and after the war entered Georgia state politics, serving in its House and Senate, ultimately becoming governor at the death of Alexander Stephens in 1883. He served out Stephens' term and won a two year term of his own in 1884. During his administration, he established the Georgia School of Technology and began construction of the new State Capitol.
- Georgia, and Henry D. McDaniel. Message of Gov. Henry D. McDaniel, to the General Assembly of Georgia, November 1884. Atlanta, Ga: Jas. P. Harrison & Co. [State Printers], 1885.
- Herringshaw, Thomas William. McDaniel, Henry Dickerson. Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography : Contains Thirty-Five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States; Illustrated with Three Thousand Vignette Portraits. v4.
- McDaniel, Henry D., Hester Felker McDaniel, and Anita B. Sams. With Unabated Trust: Major Henry McDaniel's Love Letters from Confederate Battlefields As Treasured in Hester McDaniel's Bonnet Box. [s.l.]: Historical Society of Walton County, 1977.
- "McDaniel, Henry Dickerson: Thirty-Fourth Governor of Georgia". National Cyclopedia of American Biography. 1. 1898.
- McDaniel, Henry D. Henry Dickerson McDaniel Letter. 1894.
- McDaniel, Henry D., et al. Henry Dickerson McDaniel Directorship Records. 1870.
- McDaniel, Henry D., et al. Henry Dickerson McDaniel Family Papers. 1838.
- University of Georgia, and Henry D. McDaniel. Statement from Ex-Governor McDaniel, Chairman, of the Board of Trustees of the University of Georgia, As to Questions between That Board and the G.N. and I. College. Atlanta: Foote & Davies, 1917.
James S. Boynton
|Governor of Georgia
John Brown Gordon