High Hopes (Pink Floyd song)
|Single by Pink Floyd|
|from the album The Division Bell|
"One of These Days (Live)"
|Released||17 October 1994|
|Format||7", 12", CD, CD (Maxi)|
|Length||5:16 (single edit)
8:32 (album version)
6:59 (Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd version)
|Writer(s)||David Gilmour (music and lyrics), Polly Samson (lyrics)|
|Producer(s)||Bob Ezrin and David Gilmour|
|Pink Floyd singles chronology|
"High Hopes" is the eleventh and final track from the 1994 Pink Floyd album, The Division Bell, to be composed by David Gilmour with lyrics by Gilmour and Polly Samson. It's also the final track that concludes the entire Pink Floyd discography as no other albums have been recorded ever since. Its lyrics speak of the things one may have gained and lost in life, written from Gilmour's autobiographic perspective. Gilmour has said that the song is more about his early days, and leaving his hometown behind, than about the seeds of division supposedly planted in Pink Floyd's early days. Douglas Adams, a friend of Gilmour, chose the album title from one verse in this song. Live versions are featured on Pulse, Remember That Night and Live in Gdańsk.
The 7 inch vinyl version of the single was released on a transparent record.
The song is mostly in the key of C minor, and features the sound of a single church bell chiming a 'C' throughout, except for a short section in the middle where the song briefly modulates into E minor for a guitar solo.
- CD single
- "High Hopes" — 7:57
- "Marooned" — 5:31
- CD maxi
- "High Hopes" (radio edit) — 5:16
- "Keep Talking" (radio edit) — 4:55
- "One of These Days" (live) — 6:57
- David Gilmour - lead and backing vocals, classical, bass, and lap steel guitars
- Richard Wright - Kurzweil synthesisers
- Nick Mason - drums, church bell, tambourine
- The song was covered by Shark 'n the Smoke on 2003 tribute album A Fair Forgery of Pink Floyd.
- The song was covered by Nightwish who released two different live versions; one on the compilation album Highest Hopes: The Best of Nightwish and another one on the DVD End of an Era.
- The song was covered by Gregorian for their album Masters of Chant Chapter IV.
- The song was covered by the German band Sylvan in 2000 for the album Signs of Life – A Tribute to Pink Floyd.
- The song was covered by the French power metal band Karelia in 2005 for the album Raise.
- The song was covered by the German Metalcore band Caliban in 2012 for the deluxe version of I Am Nemesis.
- The song was covered by the Bosnian band Aesthetic Empathy in 2011.
- Fuller, Graham (July 1994). "The Color of Floyd". Interview Magazine, p. 20-21. Retrieved 2011-07-22.
- "High Hopes", French Singles Chart Lescharts.com (Retrieved January 22, 2008)
- "High Hopes", UK Singles Chart Chartstats.com (Retrieved January 30, 2009)
- Billboard Allmusic.com (Retrieved January 30, 2009)
- 1994 French Singles Chart Disqueenfrance.com (Retrieved January 30, 2009)