Hip Hop Squares
|Hip Hop Squares|
|Created by||Merrill Heatter and Bob Quigley (based on Hollywood Squares)|
|Presented by||Peter Rosenberg|
|Narrated by||DJ Ms. Nix|
|Theme music composer||Kush Klein|
|Opening theme||"Hip Hop Squares Theme"|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||20|
Brooklyn, New York
|Running time||21 minutes|
|Production company(s)||MTV Networks in association with CBS Television Distribution|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original run||May 22, 2012 – present|
|Related shows||Hollywood Squares
Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour
Hip Hop Squares is an American television game show hosted by New York radio personality Peter Rosenberg, which debuted on MTV2 on May 22, 2012. The show's format is similar to Hollywood Squares, but with a more "urban" theme. The show is taped in Brooklyn, New York.
Setting and format 
Like its predecessor, Hip Hop Squares is based on the tic-tac-toe format. A win in the first two rounds is worth $500, and is worth $1,000 in round three. The Secret Square takes place in round two and is renamed the "G-Spot" with a $1,000 cash bonus that does not go towards a contestant's score. If time runs out in the middle of a round, each square on the board is worth $100 and the contestant with the higher score wins. The winning contestant then picks one of the three rows, with each celebrity in that row providing an answer to a multiple-choice question. The contestant must pick the celebrity with the correct answer to win a $2,500 bonus.
Below is a list of some of the celebrities who have appeared on Hip Hip Squares.
- 2 Chainz
- Amber Rose
- Angie Martinez
- Asher Roth
- Bam Margera
- Biz Markie
- Chiddy Bang
- Childish Gambino
- DeRay Davis
- DJ Khaled
- Donnell Rawlings
- Dov Davidoff
- Drita D'Avanzo
- Fat Joe
- Ghostface Killah
- J.B. Smoove
- Jessica White
- Kat Graham
- Lil Duval
- Mac Miller
- Method Man
- Machine Gun Kelly
- Miss Info
- Nick Cannon
- Owen Smith
- Rachel Feinstein
- Ralphie May
- Sherrod Small
- Tech N9ne
- Vinny Guadagnino
Broadcast history 
Casting for contestants on Hip Hop Squares began in March 2012. The show began taping on April 4, 2012 and recorded 20 episodes at Steiner Studios throughout the month. Hip Hop Squares premiered on MTV2 on May 22, 2012. The first season consisted of 8 episodes on consecutive Tuesday evenings, concluding on July 10, 2012. The series premiere was the highest viewed premiere for MTV2 by viewers aged 12-34 ever, with 329,000 viewers total. Season one averaged nearly 260,000 over its eight episodes. The second season, with an additional 12 episodes, began on October 23, 2012. Episodes aired on Tuesday nights, with two episodes airing during the first two weeks and final week, concluding on December 18, 2012.
- "Hip Hop Squares Episode Guide". TV Guide. Retrieved 03-10-2013.
- Ryzik, Melena (19 April 2012). "Tick-Tack-Toe for the Vigorously Unsquare". The New York Times. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- Rob Markman (30 March 2012). ""Hip Hop Squares": New Game Show Coming To MTV2!". MTV. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- LV. "Watch MTV Hip Hop Squares Episode 5". WZMX. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- "MTV2 newest game show HIP HOP SQUARES is casting". MTV. Retrieved 03-10-2013.
- "Hip Hop Squares Delivers Highest Rating". TV By the Numbers. Retrieved 03-10-2013.
- "MTV2 Ratings". Son of the Bronx. Retrieved 03-10-2013.
- "MTV2 Set to Debut All New Episodes of “Hip Hop Squares” on Tuesday, October 23 at 11:00 ET/PT". TV By The Numbers. Retrieved 03-10-2013.