Hit the Floor (TV series)
|Hit the Floor|
|Created by||James LaRosa|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2+|
|No. of episodes||22+ (List of episodes)|
|Running time||42-45 minutes|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original run||May 27, 2013– present|
Hit the Floor, originally titled Bounce, is an American drama television series on VH1 series, created by James LaRosa. The series follows Ahsha, a girl who joins the NBA Cheerleading team the Los Angeles Devil Girls, unaware of the treacherous and tempting world that follows. It debuted on May 27, 2013.
The series follows Ahsha Hayes (Taylour Paige). She's the talented yet naive daughter of single mom Sloane Hayes (Kimberly Elise); who joins the NBA cheerleading/dance team called the Los Angeles Devil Girls. She quickly discovers that her mother lied and kept secrets involving life as a Devil Girl herself. Unsure whom to trust, Ahsha must navigate her own way through the dangerous and temptation-filled world of pro basketball. Derek Roman (McKinley Freeman) tries to lure Ahsha away from her boyfriend, German Vega (Jonathan McDaniel). The more she resists his advances, the more persistent [and tempting] he becomes as German's insecurity overwhelms him. Ahsha's teammate, Kyle Hart (Katherine Bailess), tries to bring him to his senses and reveals her own agenda as she explains how the world works and how she's making that world work for her. Ahsha's father, Pete Davenport (Dean Cain), knows firsthand how difficult that life can be as a former all-star player for the Devils. He becomes the new head coach and discovers that his past is even more complicated than he thought. Players and dancers are forbidden to date, which only makes breaking the rules more tempting as history seems to repeat itself. Devil Girls' team captain, Jelena Howard (Logan Browning), is dating player Terrence Wall (Robert Christopher Riley) flouting the rules as the classic "mean girl" trying to keep Ahsha off balance because she sees her as a threat. Olivia Vincent (Charlotte Ross) is a former Devil Girl dancer-turned-basketball wife that oversees the squad and helps mentor Ahsha.
- Dean Cain as Coach Pete Davenport
- Taylour Paige as Ahsha Hayes
- Logan Browning as Jelena Howard
- Kimberly Elise as Sloane Hayes
- Katherine Bailess as Kyle Hart
- Valery Ortiz as Raquel Saldana
- Don Stark as Oscar Kincade
- Charlotte Ross as Olivia Vincent
- Rick Fox as Chase Vincent
- Jonathan McDaniel as German Vega
- Jodi Lyn O'Keefe as Lionel Davenport
- Adam Senn as Zero
- McKinley Freeman as Derek Roman
- Robert Christopher Riley as Terence Wall
- Brent Antonello as Jude Kincade
Hit the Floor was announced by VH1 in April 2012. The series was created and executive produced by LaRosa, alongside Bryan Johnson and Maggie Malina. The pilot was written by James LaRosa and directed by Sanaa Hamri. Signed on to the pilot was Taylour Paige as Ahsha, the lead; Dean Cain as Pete, the coach of the basketball team; Kimberly Elise as Sloane, Ahsha's mother; Valery Ortiz as Raquel, and Katherine Bailess as Kyle.
Following the announcement of the pilot, Charlotte Ross signed on to play Olivia, a former dancer-turned-basketball wife who oversees the squad. The pilot was ordered to series in July 2012, with Logan Browning, Jonathan McDaniel and McKinley Freeman signing on to the main cast. Don Stark who plays Oscar Kincade, the owner of the basketball team, and Robert Christopher Riley, who plays star player Terrence, were upgraded to series regulars from guest star status in the pilot.
VH1 announced the second season renewal on July 15, 2013. The first season was the No.1 new cable scripted series of the mid-2013 among the adults 18-49 viewership demo. Season 2 production began on January 31, 2014. It premiered on May 26, 2014.
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired||DVD release date|
|Season premiere||Season finale||Region 1||Region 2||Region 4|
|1||10||May 27, 2013||July 29, 2013||December 3, 2013||N/A||N/A|
|2||12||May 26, 2014||August 11, 2014||TBA||TBA||TBA|
- "VH1 Continues Winning Momentum In Scripted Arena By Setting Scripted Series "Bounce" In Motion With Greenlight". TheFutonCritic. September 30, 2012. Retrieved September 30, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (April 30, 2013). "New Scripted Drama 'Hit The Floor' to Premiere Monday, May 27 on VH1". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- "Hit The Floor — Cast Bios". VH1. Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (January 23, 2014). "VH1 Drama Series Hit The Floor Adds Trio Of New Regulars For Season 2". Deadnline Hollywood. Retrieved January 23, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (April 3, 2012). "VH1 Preps Hourlong Scripted Pilot ‘Bounce’". Deadline.com. Retrieved September 30, 2012.
- Goldberg, Lesley (May 2, 2012). "VH1's 'Bounce' Adds 'NYPD Blue' Actress". TheHollywoodReporter. Retrieved September 30, 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie (September 17, 2012). "Duo Cast In Netflix’s ‘Orange Is The New Black’, Don Stark Upped On VH’s ‘Hit The Floor’". Deaadline.com. Retrieved September 30, 2012.
- "Starz Worldwide Distribution Secures International Television Distribution Rights for Upcoming VH1 Scripted Series, "Hit The Floor"". The Futon Critic. April 2, 2013. Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 15, 2013). "'Hit the Floor' Renewed for Second Season by VH1". TV by the Numbers.
- Ng, Philiana (March 24, 2014). "VH1's 'Hit the Floor': Sexy Season 2 Promo Debuts (Exclusive Video)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 24, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 29, 2014). "'Hit the Floor' Renewed for Third Season by VH1" (Press release). TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- Lambert, David. "Hit the Floor - Season 1". Amazon. Retrieved January 23, 2013.