History of the Prophets and Kings
The History of the Prophets and Kings (Arabic: تاريخ الرسل والملوك Tarikh al-Rusul wa al-Muluk, popularly known Tarikh al-Tabari, Persian: تاریخ طبری) is an Arabic historical chronicle written by Persian author and historian Abu Ja'far Muhammad ibn Jarir al-Tabari died 310H (838-923) from the Creation to AD 915, and contains detail concerning Muslim and the history of the Middle East. A al-Sila, appendix or continuation, was written by Abu Abdullah b. Ahmad b. Ja'far al-Farghani, a Turk student of al-Tabari.
Various editions of the Annals include:
- An edition published under the editorship of M.J. de Goeje in three series, comprising thirteen volumes, with two extra volumes containing indices, introduction and glossary (Leiden, 1879–1901).
- A Persian digest of this work, made in 963 by the Samanid scholar al-Bal'ami, translated into French by Hermann Zotenberg (vols. i.-iv., Paris, 1867–1874).
- An English translation in thirty-nine volumes (plus index), published by the State University of New York Press from 1985 through 2007. Various editors and translators. ISBN 978-0-7914-7249-1 (hc), ISBN 978-0-7914-7250-7 (pb), Author: Tabari (various translators), Publisher: SUNY Press 
Here is the list of titles for the 40-volume edition:
- Vol. 01 General Introduction & from the Creation to the Flood (trans. Franz Rosenthal)
- Vol. 02 Prophets & Patriarchs (William Brinner)
- Vol. 03 The Children of Israel (William Brinner)
- Vol. 04 The Ancient Kingdoms (Moshe Perlmann)
- Vol. 05 The Sassanids, the Byzantines, the Lakhmids, and Yemen (C.E. Bosworth)
- Vol. 06 Muhammad at Mecca (W.M. Watt and M.V. McDonald)
- Vol. 07 The Foundation of the Community - Muhammad at al-Madina, A. D. 622-626 (M.V. McDonald)
- Vol. 08 The Victory of Islam (Michael Fishbein)
- Vol. 09 The Last Years of the Prophet: The Formation of the State, A.D. 630-632-A.H. 8-11 (Ismail Poonawala)
- Vol. 10 The Conquest of Arabia, A. D. 632-633 - A. H. 11 (Fred M. Donner)
- Vol. 11 The Challenge to the Empires (Khalid Blankinship)
- Vol. 12 The Battle of al-Qadisiyyah & the Conquest of Syria & Palestine (Yohanan Friedmann)
- Vol. 13 The Conquest of Iraq, Southwestern Persia, & Egypt: The Middle Years of 'Umar's Caliphate, A.D. 636-642-A.H. 15-21 (Gautier H.A. Juynboll)
- Vol. 14 The Conquest of Iran, A. D. 641-643 - A. H. 21-23 (G. Rex Smith)
- Vol. 15 The Crisis of the Early Caliphate: The Reign of Uthman, A. D. 644-656 - A. H. 24-35 (R. Stephen Humphreys)
- Vol. 16 The Community Divided: The Caliphate of Ali I, A. D. 656-657-A. H. 35-36 (Adrian Brockett)
- Vol. 17 The First Civil War: From the Battle of Siffin to the Death of Ali, A. D. 656-661-A. H. 36-40 (G.R. Hawting)
- Vol. 18 Between Civil Wars: The Caliphate of Mu'awiyah 40 A.H., 66 A.D.-60 A.H., 680 A.D. (Michael G. Morony)
- Vol. 19 The Caliphate of Yazid ibn Mu'awiyah, A. D. 680-683 - A. H. 60-64 (I.K.A. Howard)
- Vol. 20 The Collapse of Sufyanid Authority & the Coming of the Marwanids: The Caliphates of Mu'awiyah II & Marwan I (G.R. Hawting)
- Vol. 21 The Victory of the Marwanids, A. D. 685-693-A. H. 66-73
- Vol. 22 The Marwanid Restoration: The Caliphate of 'Abd al-Malik: A.D. 693-701 - A.H. 74-81
- Vol. 23 The Zenith of the Marwanid House: The Last Years of 'Abd al-Malik & the Caliphate of al-Walid A.D. 700-715-A.H. 81-95
- Vol. 24 The Empire in Transition: The Caliphates of Sulayman, 'Umar, & Yazid, A. D. 715-724-A. H. 96-105
- Vol. 25 The End of Expansion: The Caliphate of Hisham, A.D. 724-738-A.H. 105-120
- Vol. 26 The Waning of the Umayyad Caliphate: Prelude to Revolution, A.D. 738-744 - A.H. 121-126
- Vol. 27 The Abbasid Revolution, A. D. 743-750 - A. H. 126-132
- Vol. 28 Abbasid Authority Affirmed: The Early Years of al-Mansur
- Vol. 29 Al-Mansur & al-Mahdi, A.D. 763-786-A.H. 146-169
- Vol. 30 The Abbasid Caliphate in Equilibrium: The Caliphates of Musa al-Hadi & Harun al-Rashid, A. D. 785-809 - A. H. 169-192
- Vol. 31 The War Between Brothers, A. D. 809-813 - A. H. 193-198
- Vol. 32 The Absolutists in Power: The Caliphate of al-Ma'mun, A.D. 813-33 - A.H. 198-213
- Vol. 33 Storm and Stress Along the Northern Frontiers of the Abbasid Caliphate
- Vol. 34 Incipient Decline: The Caliphates of al-Wathig, al-Mutawakkil & al-Muntasir, A.D. 841-863-A.H. 227-248
- Vol. 35 The Crisis of the Abbasid Caliphate
- Vol. 36 The Revolt of the Zanj, A. D. 869-879 - A. H. 255-265
- Vol. 37 The Abbasid Recovery: The War Against the Zanj Ends
- Vol. 38 The Return of the Caliphate to Baghdad: The Caliphate of al-Mu'tadid, al-Muktafi & al-Muqtadir, A.D. 892-915
- Vol. 39 Biographies of the Prophet's Companions & Their Successors: al-Tabari's Supplement to His History
- Vol. 40 Index
The introduction states:
|“||Let the reader be aware that whatever I mention in my book is relied on the news that were narrated by some men. I had attributed these stories to their narrators, without inferring anything from their incidents ....||”|
|“||If a certain man gets horrified by a certain incident that we reported in our book, then let him know that it did not come from us, but we only wrote down what we received from the narrators ||”|
The main purpose of Tabari was to write history according to the science of narration. That is to say he quotes the narrator without interfering in any way.
Among its content can be found:
- Hadith of the pen and paper
- Information about Zayd al-Khayr
- Information about Utbah ibn Ghazwan
- Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr being the first to attack in the killing of Uthman .
- Some hadith regarding Aisha's age at marriage.
- Gaston Wiet, etc, "The Great Medieval Civilizations: cultural and scientific development. Volume 3. The great medieval civilizations. Part 1", Published by Allen and Unwin, 1975. pg 722:In the meantime another author, Tabari, Persian by origin, had been unobtrusively at work on two monumental pieces of writing, a commentary on the Koran ..
- Autonomous Egypt from Ibn Tulun to Kafur, 868-969, Thierry Bianquis, The Cambridge History of Egypt, Vol. 1, ed. M. W. Daly, Carl F. Petry, (Cambridge University Press, 1998), 98.
- History and Historians, Claude Cahen, Religion, Learning and Science in the 'Abbasid Period, 203
- History and Historians, Claude Cahen, Religion, Learning and Science in the 'Abbasid Period, ed. M. J. L. Young, J. D. Latham, R. B. Serjeant, (Cambridge University Press, 1990), 203.
- Ibn Jarir al-Tabari, The History of al-Tabari Vol. 1: General Introduction and From the Creation to the Flood, transl. Franz Rosenthal, (State University of New York Press, 1989), 7.
- SUNY Press :: History of al-Tabari
- [Tarikh Al-Tabari, 1/7-8]
- [Tarikh Al-Tabari, 1/8].