Location in Siskiyou County and the state of California
|• Total||1.176 sq mi (3.047 km2)|
|• Land||1.165 sq mi (3.017 km2)|
|• Water||0.011 sq mi (0.029 km2) 0.96%|
|Elevation||2,172 ft (662 m)|
|• Density||210/sq mi (81/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||0266820|
Hornbrook is located at .(41.909594, -122.557628)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 1.2 square miles (3.1 km2), 99.04% of it land and 0.96% of it water.
This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Hornbrook has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated "Csb" on climate maps.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Hornbrook had a population of 248. The population density was 210.8 people per square mile (81.4/km²). The racial makeup of Hornbrook was 195 (78.6%) White, 0 (0.0%) African American, 15 (6.0%) Native American, 0 (0.0%) Asian, 0 (0.0%) Pacific Islander, 10 (4.0%) from other races, and 28 (11.3%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 19 persons (7.7%).
The Census reported that 248 people (100% of the population) lived in households, 0 (0%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 108 households, out of which 23 (21.3%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 46 (42.6%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 13 (12.0%) had a female householder with no husband present, 2 (1.9%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 7 (6.5%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 1 (0.9%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 40 households (37.0%) were made up of individuals and 16 (14.8%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.30. There were 61 families (56.5% of all households); the average family size was 3.11.
The population was spread out with 50 people (20.2%) under the age of 18, 18 people (7.3%) aged 18 to 24, 45 people (18.1%) aged 25 to 44, 82 people (33.1%) aged 45 to 64, and 53 people (21.4%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46.7 years. For every 100 females there were 87.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.0 males.
There were 156 housing units at an average density of 132.6 per square mile (51.2/km²), of which 72 (66.7%) were owner-occupied, and 36 (33.3%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 6.3%; the rental vacancy rate was 11.9%. 159 people (64.1% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 89 people (35.9%) lived in rental housing units.
As of the census of 2000, there were 286 people, 120 households, and 75 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 245.5 people per square mile (95.2/km²). There were 148 housing units at an average density of 127.0 per square mile (49.3/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 86.01% White, 4.90% Native American, 0.70% Pacific Islander, 4.90% from other races, and 3.50% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 9.79% of the population.
There were 121 households out of which 23.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 39.2% were married couples living together, 18.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.7% were non-families. 30.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 22.0% under the age of 18, 8.0% from 18 to 24, 22.7% from 25 to 44, 24.1% from 45 to 64, and 23.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 83.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 79.8 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $26,094, and the median income for a family was $30,500. Males had a median income of $28,750 versus $16,667 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $14,907. About 19.8% of families and 21.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 30.3% of those under the age of eighteen and 13.0% of those sixty five or over.
- U.S. Census
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Hornbrook, California
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- "California's 1st Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 1, 2013.