Islip railway station
|Managed by||Chiltern Railways|
|Number of platforms||1|
|Live arrivals/departures and station information
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Buckinghamshire Railway|
|Pre-grouping||London and North Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||London, Midland and Scottish Railway
London Midland Region of British Railways
|1 October 1850||Opened|
|1 January 1968||Closed|
|13 May 1989||Reopened|
|15 February 2014||Closed to rail traffic during line upgrade|
|May 2015||Planned reopening|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Islip from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
In December 1968 British Railways withdrew passenger services from the Buckinghamshire Railway between Oxford and Bletchley and closed all intermediate stations including Islip; closure was effective from 1 January 1968.
The station closed to rail traffic on 15 February 2014 (the last trains having run late on 14 February) in order to allow upgrade of the line between Oxford and Bicester. Reopening is planned for May 2015.
From December 2008 the service on Mondays to Saturdays was improved with an evening service and a doubling of the service on Saturdays. There are now 11 trains on Mondays to Thursdays, 12 on Fridays and 13 on Saturdays. From May 2009 further improvements saw extra trains during the daytime on Mondays to Fridays and a new all-year round Sunday service, with trains every 90 minutes.
On 22 May 2011, Chiltern Railways took over all passenger operations from this station from the previous operator First Great Western. This is in advance of the new London Marylebone to Oxford service which was due to start in 2013. This has since been amended to 2015.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Oxford Parkway||Chiltern Railways
London Marylebone - Oxford
Bus replacement service in operation.
|Oxford Road Halt
Line open, station closed
|London and North Western Railway
Line open, station closed
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 128. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- "Oxford to Bicester, Banbury and Worcester". First Great Western. Retrieved 19 May 2010.
- "Last train to run on Oxford to Bicester line before revamp". BBC News Oxford. 14 February 2014. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "Chiltern Railway". Oxford Mail. 11 February 2014. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- Rail Magazine Issue 664, 23rd February - 8th March 2011, page 25 'Chiltern to take over Bicester-Oxford trains'.
- Train times and station information for Islip railway station from National Rail
- East West Rail Link support group
- East West Rail consortium
- Chiltern Railways Evergreen 3 project