Jahméne Douglas in 2011, performing during the finals of Swindon Has Talent
|Birth name||Jahméne Aaron Douglas|
26 February 1991 |
|Genres||Pop, soul, gospel|
|Associated acts||Nicole Scherzinger, James Arthur, Stevie Wonder|
In December 2012, he signed a record deal with Sony Music. On 22 July 2013, he released his debut studio album, Love Never Fails, which peaked at number one on the UK Albums Chart. He is currently recording his second album which is set for release in 2014.
2006–2010: Open Mic UK
Douglas started his musical career in 2006 by entering national singing competition Open Mic UK at South Parade Pier in Portsmouth, but did not make it through the audition stage, with Open Mic UK saying "it was too early for Jahméne". Douglas returned to Open Mic UK in 2010, where he won his heat in St. Georges in Bristol, but nerves overcame him in his Area Final when, Open Mic UK claim, "it looked a certainty he'd make the Grand Final of Open Mic UK at The O2 that year."
2012: The X Factor
On 30 May 2012, Douglas auditioned in London for the ninth series of The X Factor. He sang Etta James' "At Last" and received four yeses from judges Louis Walsh, Tulisa Contostavlos, Gary Barlow and Nicole Scherzinger. Despite struggling with his confidence at the bootcamp stage of the competition, where he gave an average performance of "Moves like Jagger", Douglas managed to advance to judges' houses, where he impressed mentor Nicole Scherzinger with his rendition of David Guetta's "Titanium". Douglas admitted after the second live show ("Love and Heartbreak" week) that he struggled to connect with the song as he had never had a girlfriend, and also had never had a proper kiss. On 8 December, he was the first act to make it safely through to the second night of the live finals. He finished the competition in second place, losing out to fellow "Boys" category contestant James Arthur, also mentored by Scherzinger.
2013: Love Never Fails and X Factor Around the World
On 19 December 2012, it was announced that Douglas had signed a record deal with Sony Music. On 25 January 2013, it was confirmed that he had signed with RCA Records and would be releasing his debut album in May.
It was announced by RCA Records that Douglas' first album would be called Love Never Fails and would be released on 22 July. It was on track to hit number one in the UK, after topping the midweek charts (as reported by the Official Charts Company). It was also reported that Douglas would donate some of the profits of the album to domestic abuse campaigns. The album features appearances from his X Factor mentor Scherzinger and Stevie Wonder. He released a single from the album, a cover of David Guetta's "Titanium", on to his Vevo account on 12 June 2013.
In August 2013, Douglas performed in Indonesia for RCTI's 24th anniversary television special, X Factor Around the World, along with Samantha Jade, The Collective, Melanie Amaro, Novita Dewi and Fatin Shidqia.
2013–present: Second album
On 22 July 2013, shortly after the release of Love Never Fails, Douglas told Digital Spy that his second album would contain more original material. On 21 October, he posted a preview of a track from his second album onto Instagram and also announced that he would be releasing his second album in summer 2014: "*Spoiler Alert* sneak peak-Listening to some material for the next album. Can't wait for you all to hear these tracks and to finally introduce the REAL sound of Jahméne Douglas !!!! #TheUnit #StanleyBrown #hyping #summertime2014 #grateful". On 12 January 2014, he tweeted: "#JahmeneNewAlbum2014 - New Music Coming Soon! Uberly bouncing in my spirit and itching to play them for you all, but all in good time <3".
Douglas is an ambassador of the UK charity Women's Aid, for children and young people.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Certifications|
|Love Never Fails||1||30||1||
|Second album (title TBA)||
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2013||"Titanium"||94||Love Never Fails|
- O'Reilly, Brian (19 December 2013). "X Factor runner up Jahmene Douglas latest contestant to sign record deal". The Irish Independent. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- "The X Factor 2012: Jahmene Douglas". Open Mic UK. November 2012. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- Seale, Jack (2 October 2012). "The X Factor 2012: Jahmene Douglas". Radio Times.
- Corner, Lewis (25 January 2013). "'X Factor' Jahmene Douglas joins RCA Records, debut album out in May". Digital Spy (Hearst Magazines UK). Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- Jahmene Douglas To Collaborate With Stevie Wonder On Album 'Love Never Fails' Out July 22nd 2013 | Contactmusic.com
- Jahméne Douglas - Titanium - YouTube
- "RCTI 24 Tahun "X Factor Around The World"". YouTube.
- Copsey, Robert (22 July 2013). "Jahmene Douglas interview: 'X Factor was a traumatising blessing'". Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- Douglas, Jahméne (21 October 2013). "Video by jahmeneaarondouglas". Instagram. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- Douglas, Jahméne (12 January 2014). "Twitter / JahmeneDouglas: RT #JahmeneNewAlbum2014 New Music Coming Soon! Uberly bouncing in my spirit and itching to play them for you all, but all in good time <3". Twitter. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- Women’s Aid announces X Factor finalist Jahmene Douglas as Ambassador for Children and Young People - Women's Aid
- Peak positions in the UK:
- Hung, Steffen. "Discography Jahméne Douglas". Irish Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- Peak positions for the albums in Scotland:
- "Certified Awards". BPI. Retrieved 18 September 2013.