Kitty Brucknell in 2012
|Birth name||Kimberley Dayle Edwards|
|Born||Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England |
|Genres||Pop, dance, country, techno|
|Occupations||Singer, songwriter, recording artist|
|Instruments||Vocals, piano, violin|
|Associated acts||Davis Redfield, The X Factor 2011 finalists|
Kimberley Dayle Edwards (born November 15, 1984 ), known by her stage name Kitty Brucknell, is a British singer-songwriter. Brucknell rose to fame as a semi-finalist on the eighth series of The X Factor. She embarked on her first world tour which was dubbed the "Glamour and Damage" Tour. Before the X-Factor, Brucknell was a Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and (more recently) Lady Gaga tribute act. Brucknell's debut album was launched in May 2014 via Pledge Music with a limited "pledgers only" release set for August 2014.
Kimberley Dayle Edwards was born in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. Kitty has always enjoyed singing and performing from an early age, studying the violin and piano and touring internationally since she was 16, always loved singing and performing from a very early age taking part in charity concerts and musical theatre performances and was a prolific award winner at the Cheltenham Competitive Festival throughout her childhood.
Playing the violin from the age of four years, piano from six years and later the viola gaining three grade 8's by the time she was 15 receiving one of the highest marks in the country for grade 8 piano.
At the age of 11 she won a place in the National Children's Orchestra of Great Britain and continued touring with them annually. She was awarded music scholarships to Dean Close School, St Edwards School and Clifton College Bristol. After finishing A levels at 17 she decided to pursue her love of singing and song writing and started singing wherever she could.
In 2004 she embarked on making a science fiction film ‘Interference’ which she wrote and directed. It was subsequently accepted for the Cannes Film Festival which she attended in 2005. Following this it was shown at the London Film Festival, The New York Short Film Festival, the Portobello Film Festival in Palm Springs and the Israeli Film Festival.
2008–11: Early career
She used to be a Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and (more recently) Lady Gaga tribute act. On May 9, she appeared on the Trisha Goddard. In 2008, she appeared in the British reality television series BBC One To Buy or Not to Buy. She appeared on the Australian morning show 9am with David & Kim on the Network Ten. She appeared in the TV Movie documentary Britney Spears Saved My Life as an Britney Spears Impersonator.
Brucknell appeared American television newsmagazine program CBS News Sunday Morning on 16 February 2014. Brucknell appeared in the reality television show Wedding House. She then appeared on The Wright Stuff as a guest panellist.
2011: The X Factor
Brucknell audition for the The X Factor with "Edge of Glory" gaining four yesses. In the boot camp stage of the competition, Brucknell performed "Feeling Good" leaving the judges shocked; Gary said he was fascinated with her while the other judges were impressed with the performance. In week one, Brucknell sang "Who Wants to Live Forever" by Queen and was put through by her mentor Louis. After the show, Brian May from Queen spoke out in support of her and thanking her for her performance. In week two, Kitty sang "It's Oh So Quiet" with a theatrical Alice in Wonderland performance and was put through by the public vote.
In week three she was in the bottom two after performing "Live and Let Die", along with Sami Brookes in spite of universal praise from the judges. She performed "The Edge of Glory" in the final showdown. Tulisa voted to eliminate her, but Gary, Kelly and Louis all saved her. In week four for Halloween, Brucknell took to the stage on a rotating wheel with pyrotechnics and a circus theme to perform "Sweet Dreams" and was put through by the public vote. In week five, Kitty sang a classic Madonna song: "Like a Prayer", but she was in the bottom three along with The Risk and Johnny Robinson in a double elimination special. The Risk had the least amount of votes from the public and were eliminated. Brucknell and Robinson then sang again for survival in the final showdown. Her mentor Louis Walsh, Tulisa and Kelly Rowland all saved her and voted against Robinson. Although he wasn't required to vote as the judges had reached a majority verdict (like in the previous week), Gary confirmed he would have voted Robinson off.
On the sixth live show, Brucknell wanted to sing "Born This Way". Unfortunately, Misha B chose the song and had higher priority over her. Kitty then sang "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen. Brucknell was for the third time in the final showdown along with Misha B. She sang "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" and although Barlow had the opportunity to take the vote to deadlock, he voted Kitty off, saying he felt she wasn't connecting with the audience. Only her mentor, Louis Walsh, voted to save her. After her elimination, Lady Gaga ran on stage in tears to comfort her. Brucknell appeared on Harry Hill's TV Burp on 19 November 2011 singing "Born This Way" in the final minute of the show.
2012–present: International breakthrough and Glamour & Damage
Following the X Factor, Brucknell began teasing the release of her debut single "Red Shoes". Brucknell returned to The X Factor in 2013 when she performed alongside other former contestants such as Rylan Clarke, Jedward, Wagner, 2 Shoes, Diva Fever and Johnny Robinson at the final in Wembley Arena. In January 2013, She went on her first tour which was dubbed the "Glamour and Damage" Tour. She performed songs that include "Remix", "The Damage is Done" and her own work "Red Shoes". She featured on a single which was released in Germany entitled “No Tomorrow".
In August, she shared one of her original tracks "Chains", which garnered a lot of interest from major online blogs, even with a mention from Brian May of Queen. Digital Spy and Maximum Pop called the track “striking”. She confirmed in an interview with Gloucestershire Echo that her debut EP would be released in 2014. On May 4, Brucknell announced that her debut single "Glitter In The Sky" would be released in September 2014. Her debut album Glamour & Damage was launched on Pledge Music where it is available to pre-order along with many other exclusives. Within the two weeks of its launch, she had successfully reached over 25% of her goal.
- The X Factor Live Tour (2012)
- Glamour and Damage Tour (2013)
- "Kitty Brucknell - Internet Movie Database". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- Elks, Sonia. "The X Factor 2011 final 16: Finalists revealed as Janet Devlin, Frankie Cocozza, Kitty Brucknell make the cut". Metro. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- Interference(2005) at the Internet Movie Database
- "Kimberley Dayle on Radio One". YouTube. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "X Factor's Kitty Brucknell – aka Kimberley Dayle Edwards". YouTube. 21 August 2011. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "Britney Spears Impersonator ~ Kimberley Dayle". YouTube. 16 November 2009. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "9am with David & Kim (Episode dated 30 January 2009)". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Britney Spears Saved My Life: Britney super-fans talk about how their love for the singer has made their lives worth living.". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "CBS News Sunday Morning (Episode dated 16 February 2014)". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "The Wright Stuff: Season 16, Episode 79". Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Kitty Brucknell compared to young Freddie Mercury by Queen's Brian May". Metro. 12 October 2009. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "It's Oh So Quiet for Kitty Brucknell – The X Factor 2011 Live Show 2". YouTube. 15 October 2011. Retrieved 15 October 2011.
- "Kitty Brucknell's earned her Wings – The X Factor 2011 Live Show 3". YouTube. 22 October 2011. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Kitty Brucknell is in a spin – The X Factor 2011 Live Show 4". YouTube. 29 October 2011. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "Lady Gaga runs on stage to hug Kitty Brucknell". YouTube. Retrieved 13 November 2011.
- Connolly, Lucy (13 November 2011). "Lady Gaga's tears for Kitty Brucknell". The Sun (London). Retrieved 13 November 2011.
- Copsey, Robert. "Kitty Brucknell teases debut single 'Red Shoes'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- Rainsforth, Lara. "X FACTOR’S KITTY BRUCKNELL CONFIRMS DEBUT SINGLE". UKstandUp. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- Taylor, Sam. "Interview: X Factor's Kitty Brucknell on her Glamour & Damage tour, gay marriage and 'living the dream'". Mancurianmatters. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Kitty Brucknell - Offical Website - Biography". KittyBrucknell. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- Rollins, Claire. "Kitty Brucknell – ‘Chains’ (Official Video)". HitTheFloor. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kitty Brucknell.|