||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010)|
Joan Sebastian at Pepsi Center on August 22, 2009.
|Birth name||Jose Manuel Figueroa|
|Also known as||El Rey del Jaripeo, "El Poeta De Juliantla", "El Huracán del Sur"|
8 April 1951 |
Juliantla, Guerrero, Mexico
Latin Pop / Mexican pop
|Occupations||Singer/Composer, Actor, Producer|
José Manuel Figueroa Sr. stage name Joan Sebastian (pronounced: [xoˈan seβaˈstjan]) (born in Juliantla, Guerrero, on April 8, 1951) is a popular Mexican singer and songwriter. He has composed hundreds of songs and been a regular staple on the top-40 charts in Mexico since his career began in 1977. His music is a mixture of Latin pop, ranchera and grupera music. His success is not only found in music but also in his short acting career when he became the main protagonist of a Mexican soap opera. In 1996 he made his acting debut in the Mexican soap opera Tú y Yo (You and I) sharing credits with Maribel Guardia (his former wife and mother to one of his sons) the soap opera became an instant televised hit. He has won seven Latin Grammy Awards and four Grammy Award
Personal life 
Joan Sebastian was born José Manuel Figueroa on April, 8, 1951, his first single was El Camino de Amor, he remains one of the most famous singers and songwriters Mexico has. Although he had been diagnosed with bone cancer in 1997, it did not stop him from creating music. His versatility has help him remain in the popular taste of the public. On July 26, 2012 he announced that his bone cancer has return during one of his concerts for the third time.
Joan Sebastian is the father of eight children who he has had with different partners throughout his life. Their names are José Manuel Figueroa (who is also a singer and composer), Juan Sebastián, Trigo de Jesús, Sarelia, Julián (son of Maribel Guardia), Marcelia, Joana Marcelia y Juliana.
Trigo de Jesús, his third oldest, was shot in the back of the head after one of Joan Sebastian's concert in Texas on August 27, 2006. Trigo had been trying to control the crowd after the show. He was transported to McAllen Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.
On June 12, 2010, Juan Sebastián was shot dead in Cuernavaca, Morelos, after arriving at a night club with some friends and being refused entrance. Joan Sebastian said that his son's death had something to do with the Mexican drug cartel.
Special appearances 
In 2013 Joan Will be a Special guest on Transformers: Rescue Bots
- Edmundo Perez Que me entierren con narcocorridos 2012 "... de Marco Enrique Yépez Uribe, el Jarocho o el Comandante Alex, principal testigo de la PGR, era un rancho situado en Juliantla, Guerrero, propiedad del cantante José Manuel Figueroa, conocido artísticamente como Joan Sebastian.
- Although pronounced "Sebastián" the accent is not written on official website, nor on CD covers.
- Bonacich, Drago. "Biography: Joan Sebastían". AMG. Retrieved 18 May 2010.
- Carmen Burgueño Encontrando El Camino de Luz y Verdad 2007 - Page 251 "Por si no lo conoces, Joan Sebastián es un cantante Mexicano. En un recital que hizo el cantante en Texas, aparentemente su hijo trataba de frenar a los fanáticos de su padre que intentaban invadir el escenario. Uno de los fanáticos sacó un ..."
- Francisco Pérez Abellán Crimen y criminales II. Claves para entender el mundo del crimen: ...2010 - - Page 73 "No es un fenómeno nuevo: en los últimos dos años, varios cantantes han sido asesinados. En 1992, Chalina Sánchez, al que se le supone creador del narcocorrido, fue suprimido. Hace unos años, Trigo Figueroa, hijo de Joan Sebastián, fue .."
- Asesinan a hijo de Joan Sebastian – El Universal – Sociedad