Joyce Anelay, Baroness Anelay of St Johns
|The Right Honourable
The Baroness Anelay of St Johns
|Chief Whip in the House of Lords
Captain of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms
12 May 2010
|Prime Minister||David Cameron|
|Preceded by||The Lord Bassam of Brighton|
|Opposition Chief Whip in the House of Lords|
2 July 2007 – 11 May 2010
|Preceded by||The Lord Cope of Berkeley|
|Succeeded by||The Lord Bassam of Brighton|
|Born||17 July 1947|
|Alma mater||University of Bristol|
Joyce Anne Anelay, Baroness Anelay of St. Johns, DBE, PC, FRSA (born 17 July 1947) is a Conservative member of the House of Lords and has been the Government Chief Whip in the House of Lords since 12 May 2010, having previously been Opposition Chief Whip before the May 2010 General Election.
She was born Joyce Anne Clarke on 17 July 1947 and was educated at Enfield County School and Bristol University. She was a secondary school teacher from 1969 to 1974. She later worked as a volunteer adviser with the Citizens' Advice Bureau, and sat as a Justice of the Peace and as a member of Social Security Tribunals.
Prior to her appointment to the House of Lords, Baroness Anelay held a number of senior posts in the Conservative Party organisation. She was Chairman of the Conservative Women's National Committee from 1993 to 1996. She was created an Officer of the Order of the British Empire in 1990 and raised to Dame Commander in 1995. She was made a life peer as Baroness Anelay of St. Johns, of St. Johns in the County of Surrey in 1996.
Between May 1997 and June 2002, she served in various Opposition front bench posts, including as an Opposition Whip and as Shadow Minister for Culture, Media and Sport. Baroness Anelay was Shadow Home Office Minister from June 2002 to July 2007. On 2 July 2007, she was appointed Opposition Chief Whip in the House of Lords, and on 12 May 2010 was appointed Government Chief Whip in the House of Lords and Captain of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen at Arms.
Baroness Anelay is married to the leading family and criminal law barrister Richard Anelay QC, the head of 1 King's Bench Walk Chambers and a Deputy High Court Judge.
- Miss Joyce Clarke, subsequently Mrs Richard Anelay (1947–1990)
- Mrs Richard Anelay OBE (1990–1995)
- Dame Joyce Anelay DBE (1995–1996)
- The Rt. Hon. The Baroness Anelay of St Johns DBE (1996–2009)
- The Rt. Hon. The Baroness Anelay of St Johns DBE PC (2009–present)
- Joyce Anelay on the Conservative Party website
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 1803–2005
- Current session contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Voting record at PublicWhip.org
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou.com
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
The Lord Bassam of Brighton
|Government Chief Whip in the House of Lords
|Captain of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms