|Origin||Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines|
|Genres||OPM / Pinoy rock
Hardcore punk (early material)
|Labels||Universal Records Philippines|
|Associated acts||Parokya ni Edgar
The band is composed of five members who met in college at the College of Fine Arts of the University of the Philippines, Diliman. Kamikazee's early gigs were mostly on-campus events in UP Diliman like the annual UP Fair. Before they were signed in a major label, they went by the name "Kamikazee Cornflakes" (eventually shortened to its current state as "Kamikazee" which they think is easier to remember). Their early shows included renditions of the songs "Mmm Sarap", "Tsinelas", a cover of Ariel Rivera's "Sana Kahit Minsan", and Britney Spears' Lucky. They were known for using expletives, suggestive movements, and references to genitalia in their campus performances.
Kamikazee released their first self-titled album in 2002. The album's carrier single was a heavy cover version of Britney Spears' "Lucky". Other notable songs include "Girlfriend", "Ung Tagalog", "Tsinelas" and their cover of Ariel Rivera's "Sana Kahit Minsan". In 2005, the band released "Chiksilog" as part of the compilation album Rok On! and in 2006, they released their second album, Maharot. The carrier single of the album was "Narda", which is about the fictional Filipina heroine Darna. This became the band's signature song. "Narda" was a popular hit in 2006, and gained constant radio airplay in the same year. The song was inspired by GMA Network's primetime show Darna which starred Angel Locsin. Later in 2009, "Narda" was used for GMA Network's primetime show Darna with Marian Rivera playing the title role.
The band maintains close ties with another popular Filipino band, Parokya ni Edgar (PNE). Chito Miranda, PNE's vocalist, met the band members in college as he was also studying in the College of Fine Arts. In events with Parokya ni Edgar in the line-up, one band's singer would normally jam with the other band. During Parokya ni Edgar's live sessions, Contreras frequently joined Miranda on songs like "Okatokat", "Chikinini" and "The Yes Yes Show." Contreras would do back-up vocals to PNE's hit song "The Order Taker" while Linao was on lead guitar. In turn, Kaye Abad, Miranda's former girlfriend, also did back-up vocals in Kamikazee's song "Martyr Nyebera". Jay later married Kaye Abad's sister, Sarah, on February 12, 2009 at Paco Park.
The 3rd Album "Long Time Noisy" took the band 3 years to construct as the band balanced their tough schedules. The album was recorded at Tower of Doom Studios with producer Eric Perlas. "Unang Tikim," one of their singles, was used in the TV Ad of RC Cola in 2011.
- Jay Contreras – lead vocals
- Jose Ma. Luis "Jomal" Linao – lead and rhythm guitars, backing vocals
- Led Zeppelin Tuyay – lead and rhythm guitars
- Jason "Puto" Astete – bass guitar
- Allan "Bords" Burdeos – drums
|2009||Long Time Noisy|
- Supersize Rock (Warner Music Philippines, 2004)
- Kami nAPO muna (Universal Records, 2006)
- The Biggest OPM Hits Of The Year SUPER (Universal Records, 2006)
- Rok On (Viva Records, 2005)
- Pinoy Ako 2 (Star Records, 2005)
- Palabas: The Best Of OPM TV & Movie Themes (Universal Records, 2006)
- Kami nAPO muna ulit (Universal Records, 2007)
- Another Biggest OPM Hits Of The Year SUPER 2 (Universal Records, 2007)
- Astig...The Biggest Band Hits (Universal Records, 2008)
- From The Album Kamikazee (2002)
- From The Album Maharot (2006)
- "Ambisyoso" – No. 8 Philippines
- "Narda" – No. 1 Philippines (3 weeks)
- "First Day High"
- "Martyr Nyebera" – No. 1 Philippines (2 weeks)
- "Seksi Seksi" – No. 6 Philippines
- "Director's Cut" – No. 7 Philippines
- From The Album Long Time Noisy (2009)
- "Hanggang Tingin"
- "Unang Tikim"
- "Meron Akong Ano"
- From The Album Romantico (2012)
- From The Album Kami nAPO Muna (2006)
- "Doo Bidoo" – No. 1 Philippines (3 weeks)
- From The Album Halina Sa Parokya (Parokya Ni Edgar Album)
- "The Ordertaker" – No. 5 Philippines
- From The Album ROK ON (Philippine Ragnarok Online Soundtrack)