|Origin||Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines|
|Genres||Pinoy rock, alternative rock, pop punk, hard rock, hardcore punk(early), nu metal (early)|
|Years active||2000–2014 (hiatus 2015-present)|
|Labels||Universal Records Philippines|
|Associated acts||Parokya ni Edgar
Kamikazee is a Filipino pop punk band formed in 2000. The band is composed of Jay Contreras, Jomal Linao, Led Tuyay, Puto Astete and Bords Burdeos. On January 25th of 2015, the band announced that they will be on a hiatus through a short video in their webpage.
The band is composed of five members who met in college at the College of Fine Arts of the University of the Philippines, Diliman. Kamikazee's early gigs were mostly on-campus events in UP Diliman like the annual UP Fair. Before they were signed to a major label, they went by the name "Kamikazee Cornflakes", eventually shortened to the current name "Kamikazee" for easier memory. Their early shows included renditions of the songs "Mmm Sarap", "Tsinelas", a cover of Ariel Rivera's "Sana Kahit Minsan", and Britney Spears' Lucky. Their live performances have since been known for using expletives, sexually suggestive dances, and references to genitalia.
Kamikazee released their first album in 2002. The album's carrier single was a heavy cover version of Britney Spears' "Lucky". Other notable songs include "Girlfriend", "Ung Tagalog", "Tsinelas" and their cover of Ariel Rivera's "Sana Kahit Minsan". In 2005, the band released "Chiksilog" as part of the compilation album Rok On! and in 2006, they released their second album, Maharot. The carrier single of the album was "Narda", which is about the fictional Filipina heroine Darna. "Narda" was a popular hit in 2006, and gained constant radio airplay in the same year, eventually becoming the band's signature song. The song was inspired by GMA Network's primetime show Darna which starred Angel Locsin. Later in 2009, "Narda" was used for GMA Network's primetime show Darna with Marian Rivera playing the title role.
The band maintains close ties with another popular Filipino band, Parokya ni Edgar (PNE). Chito Miranda, PNE's vocalist, met the band members in college. In concert events with Parokya ni Edgar in the line-up, one band's singer would normally jam with the other band. During Parokya ni Edgar's live sessions, Contreras frequently joined Miranda in performing songs such as "Okatokat", "Chikinini" and "The Yes Yes Show." In 2005, Contreras provided back-up vocals for PNE's hit song "The Order Taker" while co-member Linao provided lead guitar. In turn, Kaye Abad, Miranda's former girlfriend, provided back-up vocals for Kamikazee's song "Martyr Nyebera". Jay later married Kaye Abad's sister, Sarah, on February 12, 2009 at Paco Park.
Kamikazee's 3rd Album "Long Time Noisy" took the band three years to put together as the band balanced out their tough schedules. The album was recorded at Tower of Doom Studios with producer Eric Perlas. "Unang Tikim," one of the album's singles, was used in the TV Ad of RC Cola in 2011.
The band announced on January 25, 2015 that they would disband at the end of the year. They made it clear that it wasn't a break up or an official disbandment but a hiatus on band activities. They told the fans on their Facebook page that they would surely see the band again in the future.
- Ferdinand Jay Contreras – lead vocals
- Jose Ma. Luis "Jomal" Linao – lead guitar and backing vocals
- Led Zeppelin Tuyay – rhythm guitars
- Jason "Puto" Astete – bass guitar
- Allan "Bords" Burdeos – drums
|2009||Long Time Noisy|
- Supersize Rock (Warner Music Philippines, 2004)
- Kami nAPO muna (Universal Records, 2006)
- The Biggest OPM Hits Of The Year SUPER (Universal Records, 2006)
- Rok On (Viva Records, 2005)
- Pinoy Ako 2 (Star Music, 2005)
- Palabas: The Best Of OPM TV & Movie Themes (Universal Records, 2006)
- Kami nAPO muna ulit (Universal Records, 2007)
- Another Biggest OPM Hits Of The Year SUPER 2 (Universal Records, 2007)
- Astig...The Biggest Band Hits (Universal Records, 2008)
- From The Album Kamikazee (2002)
- From The Album Maharot (2006)
- "Martyr Nyebera"
- "Seksi Seksi"
- "Director's Cut"
- From The Album Long Time Noisy (2009)
- "Hanggang Tingin"
- "Unang Tikim"
- "Meron Akong Ano" (cover from the late Francis M)
- From The Album Romantico (2012)
- "Huling Sayaw" Feat. Kyla
- Theme song for First Day High film and Rexona commercial
- "First Day High"
- From The Album Kami nAPO Muna (2006)
- "Doo Bidoo" – No. 1 Philippines
- Teazz Ice Tea
- Smart Buddy Me Na Me
- Tanduay Rhum