Kanthi Dakshin (Vidhan Sabha constituency)
|Vidhan Sabha constituency|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Kanthi|
|Electorate (year)||174,817 (2011)|
Kanthi Dakshin (Vidhan Sabha constituency) (earlier known as Contai South) (Bengali: কাঁথি দক্ষিণ বিধানসভা কেন্দ্র) is an assembly constituency in Purba Medinipur district in the Indian state of West Bengal.
As per orders of the Delimitation Commission, No. 216 Kanthi Dakshin (Vidhan Sabha constituency) is composed of the following: Contai municipality, Contai I community development block, and Durmuth and Kusumpur gram panchayats of Contai III community development block.
|West Bengal assembly elections, 2011: Kanthi Dakshin |
|CPI||Uttam Krumar Pradhan||58,296||38.31||-5.95|
|BJP||Dr. Kamalesh Mishra||5,004||3.29|
|Independent||Sek Mahammad Jilani||1,233|
.# Swing calculated on Congress+Trinamool Congress vote percentages taken together in 2006. 2009 by election not taken into consideration because of lack of sufficient data.
|Party||Seats won||Seat change|
|Communist Party of India (Marxist)||0||6|
|Communist Party of India||0||3|
In the by-election held in 2009, because of the election of the sitting MLA Suvendu Adhikari to parliament from Tamluk (Lok Sabha constituency), Dibyendu Adhikari of Trinamool Congress won the Contai South seat defeating Satyendra Nath Panda of CPI.
In the 2006 state assembly elections Suvendu Adhikari of Trinamool Congress won the Contai South assembly seat defeating his nearest rival Satyendra Nath Panda of CPI. Contests in most years were multi cornered but only winners and runners are being mentioned. Sisir Adhikari of Trinamool Congress defeated Sukhendu Maiti of CPI in 2001. Sailaja Kumar Das of Congress defeated Sukhendu Maity of CPI in 1996 and 1991. Sukhendu Maity of CPI defeated Sailaja Kumar Das of Congress in 1987. Sisir Adhikari of Congress defeated Deepak Mondal, Independent, in 1982. Satyabrata Maity of Janata Party defeated Sudhir Chandra Das, Independent, in 1977.
Sudhir Chandra Das of PSP won in 1972, 1971, 1969, 1967 and 1962. Rashbehari Pal of Congress won in 1957. In independent India’s first election in 1951 Natendra Nath Das of KMPP won the Contai South seat.
- "Delimitation Commission Order No. 18 dated 15 February 2006". Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Kanthi Dakshin". Assembly Elections May 2011 Results. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- "West Bengal Assembly Election 2011". Kanthi Dakshin. Empowering India. Retrieved 2011-05-01.
- "West Bengal Assembly Election 2011". Kanthi Dakshin. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-05-01.
- "Results of bye – elections to the 31 (thirty one) Assembly Constituencies and 1(one) Lok Sabha Constituency". Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2009-08-29.
- "Trinamool Blooms with Green". Contai Royals. Retrieved 2010-12-12.
- "211 - Contai South Assembly Constituency". Partywise Comparison Since 1977. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- "Statistical Reports of Elections". General Election Results and Statistics. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2010-12-01.