List of knowledge deities
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Knowledge deity)
- 1 List of knowledge deities
- 1.1 Australian Aboriginal mythology
- 1.2 Aztec mythology
- 1.3 Celtic mythology
- 1.4 Chinese mythology
- 1.5 Egyptian mythology
- 1.6 Etruscan mythology
- 1.7 Greek mythology
- 1.8 Hindu mythology
- 1.9 Hittite mythology
- 1.10 Japanese mythology
- 1.11 Mesopotamian mythology
- 1.12 Norse mythology
- 1.13 Persian mythology
- 1.14 Polynesian mythology
- 1.15 Roman mythology
- 1.16 Slavic mythology
List of knowledge deities
Australian Aboriginal mythology
- Jar'Edo Wens, deity associated with earthly knowledge and physical might.
- Quetzalcoatl, god of wisdom.
- Ogma, a figure from Irish and Scottish mythology, said to have invented the Ogham alphabet
- Lugh, a figure from Irish mythology, said to be skilled in all arts.
- Erlang Shen, god possessing a truth-seeing third eye in the centre of his forehead.
- Wenchang Wang, god of literature and scholarship.
- Neith, goddess sometimes associated with wisdom.
- Thoth, god of wisdom and scribe of the gods, credited with the invention of writing and the alphabet.
- Sia, the deification of wisdom.
- Seshat, goddess of wisdom, knowledge and writing.
- Menrva, goddess of wisdom.
- Athena, goddess of wisdom, warfare, civilization, strength, strategy, crafts, and justice.
- Coeus, Titan, god of intellect.
- Eidyia, an Oceanid, sometimes sources call her "the goddess of knowledge".
- Metis, Oceanid of wisdom, wise counsel and cunning, skill, and crafts, mother of Athena.
- Prometheus, he is said to be the god of forethought, the god of intelligence, a trickster, and as a champion of humanity, because he stole fire from Hephaestus, and brought it to mortals (for which he suffered great consequences).
- Saraswati, goddess of knowledge and all literary arts including music, literature and speech.
- Ganesha, god of intellect and wisdom.
- A'as, god of wisdom.
- Fukurokuju, god of wisdom and longevity.
- Kuebiko, scarecrow god of wisdom and agriculture.
- Omoikane, Shinto goddess of wisdom and intelligence.
- Al-Kutbay, Nabataean, god of knowledge, commerce, writing, and prophecy.
- Enki, god of intelligence, crafts, mischief, water and creation.
- Nabu, Babylonian god of wisdom and writing.
- Nidaba, Sumerian goddess of writing, learning, and the harvest.
- Tiwaz/Tyr, "Tyr, known for his great wisdom and courage".
- Odin, the ruler of Asgard, who sacrificed his eye and was hanged for nine days from the world tree Yggdrasil in order to gain the wisdom of the ages.
- Mímir, a god renowned for his knowledge and wisdom; Odin is advised by his decapitated head.
- Snotra, goddess associated with wisdom.
- Vör, goddess associated with wisdom.
- Anulap, god of magic and knowledge.
- Egeria, water nymph who gives wisdom and prophecy in return for libations of water or milk at her sacred grove.
- Fabulinus, the god who teaches children to speak.
- Minerva, goddess of wisdom and the Roman equivalent of Athena.
- Apollo, Greco-Roman god of knowledge and intellect.
- Providentia, goddess of forethought.
- Gamayun - symbol of knowledge and wisdom.