|Birth name||Christoph Hoeffel|
|Also known as||Black Van, Love on Laserdisc, Stars on 33, Cut Glass, Menace & Lord|
Landau in der Pfalz, Germany
|Labels||Compuphonic, DFA, Size, Pias, Work It Baby, Blood Music, Newstate, Kontor, Permanent Vacation, Defected, Vulture|
|Associated acts||among others Alan Braxe, Felix da Housecat, Rex the Dog and Romanthony|
Christophe Hoeffel began to work as a producer and writer in the mid 1990s for different projects and started using the pseudonym "Kris Menace" in 2005.
Menace's debut single (in collaboration with his friend Lifelike), "Discopolis", was released on Alan Braxe's label Vulture Music in 2005 and was one of the most anticipated house tracks and an Ibiza anthem within the same year. "Discopolis" was later picked up by Defected Records and re-released with various remixes (Kerri Chandler etc..) and a video directed by Seb Janiak.
Menace later formed his label "Compuphonic" and continued to release singles under its imprint. In 2006, his track "Jupiter" became one of the most downloaded tracks on the electronic music download platform Beatport. In 2006, Kris also started DJing with Alan Braxe, who was part of "Stardust" with Thomas Bangalter from Daft Punk, and together they released the single "Lumberjack" in June 2007 on Vulture Music.
In 2008 he teamed up with the UK band Spooky to release the track "Stereophonic", which became UK's buzz charts nr.1 during the WMC and voted for being one of the hottest records of 2008 for DMC as well as with Felix da Housecat to produce the house anthem "Artificial" or Rex the Dog to produce "POW!"
His "Heartbreaker" remix for the band Metronomy (Band), became number 1 most popular track on The Hype Machine and therefore the most played track across all blogs in July 2008. His Kylie Minogue remix was featured on Kylie Minogue's Aphrodite special edition album. His remix of LCD Soundsystem became part of their album Sound of Silver in different territories like Japan. His remix for Monarchy's "The Phoenix Alive" was used in the FIFA 12 video game soundtrack.
As a DJ, he played all across the world in clubs like Fabric London, Razzmatazz Barcelona, Amnesia, Pacha, Space and many other clubs all around Europe, Canada, Japan, Brazil, Australia. In November 2010 Kris did a minimix on Annie Mac's Radio1 show and broke the record of amount of used singles with 240 tracks played within 5 minutes.
Kris Menace released his debut album Idiosyncrasies in May 2009 on 3 CDs, followed by the singles "Metropolis" and "Idiosyncrasy". The album received an outstanding rating by international press and was re-released as an "Special Edition" in November 2010.
In January 2010, Kris's track "Lightning" was mashed up with The-Dream's "Walkin' on the Moon" by Vancouver DJ/producer U-Tern. Later UK pop singer Emil resung the samples from "The Dream" and the song became a released as "Walking on the Moon". It entered the official US Billboard Charts at Nr. 8.
In September 2010, Kris released his "Masquerade EP" on Steve Angello's SIZE Label, which was followed up by his "Phoenix & Triangle" release in January 2011 as well as "Alpha Omega" with acid house founder DJ Pierre.
Kris is also part of different projects and released under a number of aliases, including Cut Glass (w/ Maxwell Cooke), Stars on 33 (with Lawrence LT Thompson), Love on Laserdisc (with Ludovic Bordas), Jaunt and Black Van ((DFA) and owns different record labels like Compuphonic or "Work It Baby" where he nurtured artists such as Lifelike, Fred Falke and others.
The first release of his project "Black Van" together with koweSix from Moonbootica was released on LCD Soundsystem's DFA label and became nominated for the nu-disco Track of the Year 2009, based on sales. "Black Van"'s follow up single "Moments of Excellence / The Calling" feat. Holy Ghost! was released November 2010 on the label Permanent Vacation and 'Inside' which entered the Hypem Charts at Nr.1 on the own label Excellent Music. In 2013 they released the 6 Track EP "The B-Sides". Black Van also remixed for the likes of Oliver (Kitsuné), Aeroplane (Eskimo), Robbie Williams (EMI), The Glass (Plant Music), Paul Weller (Universal) and others.
WIth Love On Laserdisc, Kris remixed for Depeche Mode and released an Album, where he teamed up with Pills (Band) ex-member and vocalist Ludovic Bordas, Thomas Azier and Black Hills. Kris is also the co-producer of some Aeroplane remixes like for Rapture or George Michael. His "Menace" project released the first EP Hz & Tones on Fake Blood's label Blood Music.
In April 2012 he released his new album Electric Horizon which features live visuals by London based duo Hexstatic. followed by the Singles Falling Star  and eFeel  One year later he released a Live Album of "Electric Horizon", recorded in Barcelona at the legendary Razzmatazz Club.
In November 2012, Kris released his album Features. The first single & video to "Hide" a collaboration with Miss Kittin received a Vimeo Staff Pick. The video for the single "Lone Runner" was presented by MTV.com on 21 December 2012, followed by 'Trusting Me' in February 2013.
The album includes guest vocals by Julian Hamilton from The Presets, Daft Punk collaborator Romanthony, legendary house music singer Robert Owens, German soul singer Xavier Naidoo, Chelonis R. Jones, Simon Lord, Lawrence LT Thompson, Dodgy and others.
In November 2013 he released the album 'The Entirety Of Matter', including 12 instrumentals and visuals, concepted together with Boston USA based Graphic Motion Designer Matthew DiVito aka Mr. Div.
- The Entirety Of Matter (November 2013)
- Electric Horizon - Live In Barcelona (April 2013)
- Features (November 2012)
- Electric Horizon (April 2012)
- Idiosyncrasies (Special Edition) (April 2010)
- Selected (April 2009) (iTunes Only)
- Idiosyncrasies (April 2009)
- Lifelike & Kris Menace – Discopolis (Vulture / 2005)
- Kris Menace – Voyage (Compuphonic / 2005)
- Lifelike & Kris Menace – Discopolis *Remixes (Vulture/Defected / 2006)
- Kris Menace – Jupiter (Compuphonic / 2006)
- Kris Menace feat. Fred Falke – Fairlight (Compuphonic / 2007)
- Alan Braxe & Kris Menace – Lumberjack (Vulture / 2007)
- Kris Menace – Steamroller (Compuphonic / 2008)
- Kris Menace & Spooky – Stereophonic (Compuphonic / 2008)
- Kris Menace & Felix da Housecat - Artificial (Compuphonic /2008)
- Kris Menace – Scaler (Compuphonic / 2009)
- Black Van - Yearning (DFA / 2010)
- Kris Menace & Douze - Lockhead (Masquerede EP) (Size / 2010)
- Kris Menae - Swarm (Masquerade EP) (Size / 2010)
- Menace - Hz vs Tones (Blood Music / 2010)
- Kris Menace- Walking on the Moon (U-Tern Bootleg) (2010)
- Kris Menace - Phoenix / Triangle (Phoenix EP) (Size / 2010)
- Black Van - Moments of Excellence (Permanent Vacation / 2011)
- Black Van - Moments of Excellence vs. Holy Ghost! (Permanent Vacation / 2011)
- Kris Menace & Dj Pierre - Crank (Different / Pias 2011)
- Menace & Tracid - Buchla 200e (Compuphonic / 2011)
- Rex the Dog & Kris Menace - POW! (Compuphonic / 2011)
- Adam Shaw & Kris Menace - Starchild EP (Compuphonic / 2011)
- Kris Menace - eLove EP (4 Tracks) (Compuphonic / 2011)
- Kris Menace & Douze - Hexo / Overflow (Compuphonic / 2011)
- Stars on 33 - Let the Music Guide You EP (5 Tracks) (Eskimo / 2011)
- Kris Menace - Falling Star (Compuphonic / 2012)
- Kris Menace - eFeel (Compuphonic / 2012)
- The Kiki Twins & Kris Menace - We Are (Compuphonic / 2012)
- Black Van - Inside (Excellent Music / 2012)
- Kris Menace feat. Miss Kittin - Hide (Remixes) (Compuphonic / 2012)
- Kris Menace feat. Unai - Lone Runner (Remixes) (Compuphonic / 2012)
- Kris Menace feat. Robert Owens - Trusting Me (Remixes) (Compuphonic / 2013)
- Kris Menace feat. Chelonis R. Jones - Voodoo Dilate (SAMO) (Remixes) (Compuphonic / 2013)
- Kris Menace feat. Black Hills - Waiting For You (Remixes) (Compuphonic / Ego Music Italy / 2013 )
- Lifelike & Kris Menace - Discopolis (YouTube video)
- Compuphonic on Discogs
- Alan Braxe & Kris Menace - Lumberjack (YouTube video)
- Together with Kris Menace, One Week To Live Interview
- DMC Update
- Compuphonic Webpage
- Kris Menace on Discogs
- Hype Machine
- Discogs.com Lcd Soundsystem
- YouTube Video to FifaSoundtrack 2012
- Kris Menace Homepage
- Annie Mac Radioi1
- Radio FG
- Kris Menace´s Myspace Page
- Kris Menace.com
- Facebook Nervous Records Post
- Kris Menace´s Myspace Detail Board
- Work It Baby on Discogs
- Beatport Beatportal Awards
- Falling Star Video on Youtube.com
- eFeel Video on Youtube.com
- YouTube Documentary
- Official Video for HIDE on Vimeo
- Hide on Youtube.com
- Lone Runner on Youtube.com
- Lone Runner on MTV.com
- Trusting Me on Youtube.com as well as 'Voodoo Dilate' in March and 'Waiting For You' in April.
- Magnetic Magazine Preview