Location of Lakeland, Tennessee
|• Total||18.0 sq mi (46.7 km2)|
|• Land||17.6 sq mi (45.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.1 km2)|
|Elevation||397 ft (121 m)|
|• Density||389.5/sq mi (150.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1313627 |
Lakeland is a city in Shelby County, Tennessee, and a suburb of Memphis. The population was 12,430 at the 2010 census. It was the location of the now defunct Lakeland Amusement Park. It had two railroads within the park property, including the 3 ft (914 mm) narrow gauge Huff 'n' Puff Railroad and a separate 16 in (406 mm) miniature railway railroad made by the Allan Herschell Company.
Lakeland is located at United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 18.0 square miles (47 km2), of which 17.6 square miles (46 km2) is land and 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2) (2.33%) is water.. According to the
Current population from the 2010 census is 12,430. As of the census of 2000, there were 6,862 people, 2,748 households, and 2,025 families residing in the city. The population density was 389.5 people per square mile (150.4/km²). There were 2,904 housing units at an average density of 164.8 per square mile (63.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 91.56% White, 5.22% African American, 0.13% Native American, 1.78% Asian, 0.50% from other races, and 0.82% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.47% of the population.
There were 2,748 households out of which 34.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.9% were married couples living together, 7.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.3% were non-families. 22.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.50 and the average family size was 2.94.
In the city the population was spread out with 24.6% under the age of 18, 6.4% from 18 to 24, 37.2% from 25 to 44, 23.8% from 45 to 64, and 7.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 95.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $58,897, and the median income for a family was $64,444. Males had a median income of $46,750 versus $32,366 for females. The per capita income for the city was $28,956. About 2.2% of families and 3.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.4% of those under age 18 and 2.8% of those age 65 or over.
Assigned schools include:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lakeland, Tennessee.|
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Lakeland". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-02-07.
- Surviving Steam Locomotive Search
- Website with picture of Lakeland Amusement Park's smaller railroad
- Allan Herschell catalog with model of Lakeland Amusement Park's smaller railroad listed
- "Census of Population and Housing: Decennial Censuses". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Lakeland, Tennessee is at coordinates .
- Lakeland's Racing Past: Lakeland International Raceway