Prepon in 2008
March 7, 1980 |
Watchung, New Jersey, U.S.
|Occupation||Actress, model, film producer|
|Height||5' 10" (1.78 m)|
Laura Prepon (/ /; born March 7, 1980) is an American actress, known for her role as Donna Pinciotti in all eight seasons of the Fox sitcom That '70s Show. She is also known for the role of Hannah Daniels on the ABC drama October Road and her role as Alex Vause in the Netflix original series Orange Is the New Black. She has voiced characters in animated TV series such as American Dad! and King of the Hill, as well as a character in the video game Halo 2.
Following That '70s Show, Prepon worked mainly in television, guest-starring in episodes of How I Met Your Mother, Medium, and Castle. In 2011, Prepon was cast in the lead role of Chelsea in the short-lived sitcom Are You There, Chelsea?, based on Chelsea Handler's 2008 book Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea.
Prepon was born in Watchung, New Jersey, the youngest of five children of Marjorie (née Coll), a high school teacher, and Michael Prepon, an orthopedic surgeon. Her father was of Russian Jewish descent and her mother is of English and Irish Catholic background. Her maternal great-great-great-grandfather was Union Army General Joseph Bradford Carr. Prepon's father died during heart surgery in 1993 at age 49; Prepon was thirteen years old at the time. She attended Watchung Hills Regional High School. She studied at Caroline Thomas' Total Theater Lab in New York City.
Prepon appeared in such plays as A Woman of Property and Ascension Day while in New York. In 1996, she studied drama with acting teacher Caroline Thomas at Thomas' Total Theatre Lab. Also in 1996, she appeared in the Sneaker Pimps music video for the song "6 Underground". Later, in September 1997, she premiered on a Levi Strauss-developed show called They Go On, an Internet-based soap opera. Prepon has also worked as a model and has done photo shoots in Paris, Milan, and Brazil.
During her hiatus from That '70s Show, Prepon worked on the independent film The Pornographer: A Love Story. The film tells the story of an obsessive relationship between a director and an actress. She was also in the film Slackers, which is about two best friends trying to scam their way through college that eventually get caught. She was nominated for a Teen Choice Award in 2002 for her role in That '70s Show. In 2001 she got her first chance to get in front of a movie camera in the independent film Southlander, a comedy/music film by Steve Hanft starring Beck, Beth Orton and Hank Williams III, in which she played a young TV telepathic named Seven=Five.
She was a presenter at many different award shows including, Second Annual TV Guide Awards, in 2000, the 2000 Teen Choice Awards, and the 28th Annual American Music Awards in 2001. She has graced the cover of Maxim twice—once with red hair and once with her hair dyed blonde—and has done a TV advertisement for Gap clothing, although it was never aired. Prepon was named one of Stuff magazine's "102 Sexiest Women In The World" in 2002 and one of Maxim magazine's "Hot 100" in 2005. Prepon also had a cameo voice appearance as a United Nations Space Command marine in Halo 2, which was released in 2004. Her first notable film role came in 2004, with the dark drama Lightning Bug which also starred Bret Harrison, Kevin Gage, and Ashley Laurence. Branching into other arenas than acting, Prepon also served as executive producer of the film.
That '70s Show
Prepon is best known for her starring role as Donna Pinciotti on the Fox television series That '70s Show, from 1998 to 2006. Donna was Eric's girlfriend and next door neighbor. Randy, who was introduced in the eighth and final season of the series, was Donna's second love interest after Eric was written out of the series.
In 2005, Prepon starred in the film Karla, the true story of Paul Bernardo and his wife Karla Homolka, a couple who kidnapped, sexually abused and murdered three young girls, marking a contrast to her usual lighthearted roles. She was also an executive producer of E! Hollywood Hold'em the same year. Prepon was a cast member of the ABC show October Road, which debuted March 15, 2007. The show was canceled by ABC on May 12, 2008, despite strong ratings and a grassroots campaign from the show's fanbase to keep the show alive. In April 2007, she starred in a short film Once Upon a Time. She also appeared in the 2005 Oxygen film Romancing the Bride. She also was the original voice for Hayley Smith on American Dad! and voiced her in an unaired pilot. She appeared as Lauren, Mary's long-lost sister, on USA Network's In Plain Sight in the episode "A Frond in Need". On February 5, 2010, it was announced that Prepon signed on for Awkward Situations for Men, a pilot on ABC. In 2009, Prepon appeared in How I Met Your Mother as Karen, one of Ted's girlfriends, in the episode "Sorry, Bro". She was also in episodes "The Front Porch" in 2009, "Say Cheese" in 2010 and appeared in the episode "Private Lives", (House M.D.).
In early 2011, Prepon was on an episode of Castle, playing an actress studying for the role of Nikki Heat, a character created by Castle. In February 2011, Prepon was cast as main character Chelsea Newman on the NBC sitcom Are You There, Chelsea?, based on Chelsea Handler's 2008 book Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea. NBC cancelled the show on May 11, 2012. She then went on to guest star opposite former That '70s Show cast member Danny Masterson in his show Men at Work. In mid-2012, Prepon signed on to play Alex Vause, a former drug dealer and Piper Chapman's ex-girlfriend, in the Netflix original series Orange Is the New Black, which premiered in July 2013. Prepon was a regular in season 1, but appeared in only a few episodes of season 2. She has since stated that she will return in every episode of season 3.
In a December 2007 interview in Women's Health, Prepon stated that she is a Scientologist. Prepon dated Christopher Masterson (brother of her That 70's Show co-star Danny Masterson) for seven years, before splitting from him in 2007.
|2001||Southlander||Seven Equals Five|
|2004||Lightning Bug||Angevin Duvet||Also executive producer|
|2004||Pornographer: A Love Story, TheThe Pornographer: A Love Story|
|2005||Romancing the Bride||Melissa||Television film|
|2006||Come Early Morning||Kim|
|2007||Once Upon a Time||The Witch||Short film|
|2007||Chosen One, TheThe Chosen One||Rachel Cruz (voice)|
|2011||Killing Game, TheThe Killing Game||Eve Duncan||Television film|
|2012||Lay the Favorite||Holly|
|2012||Kitchen, TheThe Kitchen||Jennifer|
|1998–2006||That '70s Show||Donna Pinciotti||200 episodes
Nominated – Teen Choice Award TV Choice Actress, Comedy (2002)
Nominated – Youth in Film Award for Best Performance in a TV Series: Young Ensemble (1999)
Nominated – Teen Choice Award TV – Breakout Performance (1999)
|2004||King of the Hill||April (voice)||Episode: "Talking Shop"|
|2005||American Dad!||Hayley Smith (voice)||Unaired pilot|
|2007–2008||October Road||Hannah Jane Daniels||19 episodes|
|2009–2010||How I Met Your Mother||Karen||3 episodes|
|2009||In Plain Sight||Lauren Hefferman||Episode: "A Frond in Need"|
|2010||Medium||Kira Hudack||Episode: "How to Beat a Bad Guy"|
|2010||House||Frankie||Episode: "Private Lives"|
|2010||Celebrity Ghost Stories||Herself||Episode #2.9|
|2011||Castle||Natalie Rhodes/Nikki Heat||Episode: "Nikki Heat"|
|2011||Love Bites||Alex||Episode: "Keep on Truckin'"|
|2012||Are You There, Chelsea?||Chelsea Newman||12 episodes|
|2012||Men at Work||Hannah||Episode: "Plan B"|
|2013–present||Orange Is the New Black||Alex Vause||17 episodes
Satellite Award for Best Cast – Television Series (2014)
Satellite Award for Best Supporting Actress – Series, Miniseries or Television Film (2014)
|2011||Neighbros||L Boogie||Also director, writer, and editor|
- "Laura Prepon | Biography, Photos, Movies, TV, Credits". Hollywood.com. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- Laura Prepon. "Laura Prepon Photos, Gossip, Bio & Reviews". AskMen.com. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- Young, Paul (January 2001). "Great Prepon". Maxim magazine (#37). (text can be found here )
- "OBITUARIES / Natalie Carr Hoisington, 84". Pqasb.pqarchiver.com. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Lynch, Jason (1999-09-27). "She's All That - That '70s Show, Laura Prepon". People.com. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- "Laura Prepon News, Laura Prepon Videos, and Laura Prepon Photos". Hollywood.premiere.com. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- "Laura Prepon Biography - Yahoo! Movies". Movies.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- "Laura Prepon." Total Theatre Lab.
- "The Fall Girls." Maxim. September 1998.
- "Laura Prepon". AskMen. 1980-03-07. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- "Laura Prepon Biography". tvguide.com. Retrieved 5 January 2011.
- "Laura Prepon's bio". Celebritybazar.com. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- "Laura Prepon Biography (1980-)". Filmreference.com. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- "Laura Prepon Biography". Perfect People. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- "Laura Prepon Biography". Absolutely.net. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- "Laura Prepon Biography | Laura Prepon Actress | Laura Prepon News | Laura Prepon Pictures". Yuddy.com. 1980-03-07. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- "Home-Game Honey." Card Player. April 2005.
- "Breaking News - USA Network Again Reclaims Sunday Nights This Spring with Hit Original Series Law & Order: Criminal Intent and in Plain Sight". TheFutonCritic.com. 2009-02-17. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- Name * (2010-02-05). "TV Central | Blog | Pilot casting: Laura Prepon, Bret Harrison and Michael Kelly". Tvauscast.com. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- "Laura Prepon Joins Castle as Nikki Heat". TVGuide.com. Retrieved October 29, 2010.
- Serpe, Gina (February 17, 2011). "Laura Prepon Is the New Chelsea Handler—but What Does Chelsea Handler Think of That?". E! Online. Retrieved May 19, 2011.
- Masters, Megan (June 21, 2012). "PHOTOS: Laura Prepon on Men at Work Season 1". TVLine. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- Ausiello, Michael (September 17, 2012). "Exclusive: Laura Prepon Joins Weeds Creator's New Netflix Drama Series Orange is the New Black". TVLine. Retrieved September 17, 2012.
- Michael Callahan, "A Conversation with Laura Prepon", Women's Health, December 2007.
- "Tom Cruise denies romancing fellow Scientologist Laura Prepon... but he 'will date again and has been talking with women'". dailymail.co.uk. 2013-11-27. Retrieved 2014-06-13.
- "Tom Cruise dines with actress Laura Prepon: Actor’s rep denies he’s romancing ‘Orange is the New Black’ star". nydailynews.com. 2013-11-28. Retrieved 2014-06-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Laura Prepon.|
- Laura Prepon at the Internet Movie Database
- Biography from the That '70s Show website
- Notable Names DataBase- Laura Prepon