Wilson in October 2012
October 26, 1956
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Occupation||Actress, producer, singer|
|Spouse(s)||Tom Hanks (1988–present)|
|Relatives||Colin Hanks (stepson)|
Rita Wilson (born Margarita Ibrahimoff; October 26, 1956) is an American actress, singer, and producer.
Wilson was born Margarita Ibrahimoff (Bulgarian: Маргарита Ибрахимова; Greek: Μαργαρίτα Ιμπραΐμοβ) in Los Angeles, California. Her mother was a Greek born and raised in (Sotirë) in present-day Albania. Her father, born Hassan Halilov Ibrahimoff (March 21, 1920 – March 6, 2009), worked at a race track; he was a Bulgarian Muslim (Pomak), born in Брещене (Breshtene), in the present-day province of Western Thrace, Greece, and lived in Bulgaria, where his half brother Ferhat still lives.[fn 1] He moved to the United States on May 4, 1949. Wilson's father changed his name from Hassan Ibrahimoff to Allan Wilson in 1960, "Wilson" being the name of a local street in Southern California. Rita was raised Greek Orthodox.
Wilson's career began with a guest appearance on The Brady Bunch in the 1972 episode "Greg's Triangle". She also twice appeared on M*A*S*H in 1982 as Nurse Lacey as well as the sitcoms Three's Company and Bosom Buddies starring her future husband Tom Hanks.
She has appeared in numerous movies, including Volunteers, Teen Witch, The Bonfire of the Vanities, Barbarians at the Gate, Mixed Nuts, Sleepless in Seattle, Now and Then, That Thing You Do!, Jingle All the Way, Runaway Bride, Invisible Child, The Story of Us, Raise Your Voice, It's Complicated, and Larry Crowne. She played Susan Borman, wife of astronaut Frank Borman, in the HBO miniseries From the Earth to the Moon. On television, she guest starred in many television series, including Frasier, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, The Good Wife, Body of Proof, and Girls.
Wilson has performed on Broadway, where she performed the role of Roxie Hart from June–August 2006 in the revival of Chicago.
She is often credited with being the driving force behind Nia Vardalos's movie deal for My Big Fat Greek Wedding, which became the highest-grossing independent film of all time, and for which she served as a producer.
Wilson's long-standing interest in singing led her to record a debut solo album, AM/FM, which she released May 8, 2012, on the Decca Records label. The album featured classics from the 60s and 70s, including a cover of "Wichita Lineman" that she performed with the song's writer-composer, Jimmy Webb.
She has been married to actor Tom Hanks since April 1988, and the couple have two sons, Chester (born 4 August 1990) and Truman Theodore (born 26 December 1995). She also has two stepchildren from Tom Hanks' previous marriage, Colin and Elizabeth Ann.
She contributed to the Moffitt Cancer Center by donating "True Hearts" jewelry made of sterling silver and 14k gold. The proceeds will[when?] benefit several charities. Wilson credits good friend Rosie O'Donnell as inspiration for her charitable work, particularly with cancer and children's charities. She is a devout member of the Greek Orthodox Church.
|1966||Spinout||Bit Girl (uncredited)|
|1972||The Brady Bunch||Pat Conway||Television program
Episode: "Greg's Triangle"
|1979||Day It Came to Earth, TheThe Day It Came to Earth||Debbie|
|1980||Cheech & Chong's Next Movie||Actress|
|1981||Bosom Buddies||Cindy||Television program
Episode: "All You Need is Love"
|1982||M*A*S*H||Nurse Lacey||Television program
Episodes: "Blood and Guts"
"Hey, Look Me Over"
|1983||Three's Company||Agnes Platt||Television program
Episode: "Alias Jack Tripper"
|1986||227||Dr. Peterson||Television program
Episode: "Mary Nightingale"
|Bonfire of the Vanities, TheThe Bonfire of the Vanities||P.R. Woman|
|1991||Tales from the Crypt||Jess Gilcrist||Television program
Episode: Mournin' Mess
|1993||Sleepless in Seattle||Suzy|
|1994||Mixed Nuts||Catherine O'Shaughnessy|
|1995||Now and Then||Chrissy DeWitt Williams|
|1996||No Dogs Allowed|
|That Thing You Do!||Marguerite|
|Jingle All the Way||Liz Langston|
|1999||Runaway Bride||Ellie Graham|
|Invisible Child||Annie Beeman|
|Story of Us, TheThe Story of Us||Rachel|
|2001||Perfume||Roberta||aka Dress to Kill|
|Glass House, TheThe Glass House||Grace Avery-Baker||(uncredited)|
|2002||Auto Focus||Anne Crane|
|2004||Raise Your Voice||Francis Fletcher|
|2005||Chumscrubber, TheThe Chumscrubber||Terri Bratley|
|Magnificent Desolation: Walking on the Moon 3D||Beta Station Commander||Voice only|
|2006||Beautiful Ohio||Judith Messerman|
|2009||My Life in Ruins||Elinor|
|2011||Art of Getting By, TheThe Art of Getting By||Vivian Sargent|
|Larry Crowne||Wilma Gammelgaard|
|Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Bree Mazalon||Television program
|The Good Wife||Viola Walsh||Television program
Episodes: "Net Worth"
"Live from Damascus"
"Two Girls, One Code"
"Outside the Bubble"
|2013||The Tutor||Tina||Short film|
|Girls||Evie Michaels||Television program
Episodes: "It's About Time"
"Truth or Dare"
As a producer
|2002||My Big Fat Greek Wedding||Producer||Producers Guild of America Visionary Award
Nominated — Producers Guild of America Award for Motion Picture Producer of the Year
|2003||My Big Fat Greek Life||Executive producer||Television program|
|2004||Connie and Carla|
|2009||My Life in Ruins|
- 2012: AM/FM (Audio CD: May 8, 2012)
- "All I Have to Do is Dream"
- "Never My Love"
- "Come See About Me"
- "Angel of the Morning"
- "Walking in the Rain"
- "Wichita Lineman"
- "You Were on My Mind"
- "Good Times Charlie"
- "Love has No Pride"
- "Please Come to Boston"
- "Will You Love Me Tomorrow"
- "Faithless Love"
- Ferhat is an Arabic and Turkish name, and was misspelled "Fairhat" in the reference given.
- Birth date confirmed at the State of California, California Birth Index, 1905–1995. Center for Health Statistics, California Department of Health Services, Sacramento, California. Date of birth for Margarit Ibrahimoff in Los Angeles, California is October 26, 1956.
- Welkos, Robert (2002-10-06). "Sending up the Greek in spirit". The Age. Retrieved 2008-10-10. "...my father is Bulgarian."
- Rita Wilson, Who Do You Think You Are?. tracing-the-tree, 31 March 2012. Retrieved 3 April 2012.
- Stated on Who Do You Think You Are?, March 30, 2012
- Tom Hanks' wife Rita Wilson breaks down after discovering she had a brother who died as a baby on Who Do You Think You Are. Mail Online, 31 March 2012. Retrieved 3 December 2012.
- "My Big, Fat, Greek Mystery" – Terry Mattingly on religion.
- "TV Review - My Big Fat Greek Life". Entertainment Weekly. 2003-04-07. Retrieved 2008-09-28.
- Rita Wilson to Debut Solo Album, E! Online, ANTOINETTE BUENO, February 09, 2012
- Rita Wilson to Debut Solo Album AM/FM. PR Newswire, 9 February 2012. Retrieved 11 February 2012. Rita Wilson was referenced in the fourth episode of Arrested Development, Key Decisions.
- H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute
- "Спектар : Живот и стил : Православни Холивуд : ПОЛИТИКА". Politika.rs. 2010-02-28. Retrieved 2012-02-09.
- Rita Wilson: "AM/FM". Artist notes and product description (Amazon.com). Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- Rita Wilson at the Internet Movie Database
- Rita Wilson at the Internet Broadway Database
- Rita Wilson at the Internet Off-Broadway Database
- Rita Wilson on Twitter