Lemon Cove, California
Location in Tulare County and the state of California
|• Total||0.834 sq mi (2.159 km2)|
|• Land||0.834 sq mi (2.159 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|• Density||370/sq mi (140/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
Geography and ecology
There are numerous flora and fauna species in the vicinity of Lemon Cove. The local Lime Kiln Creek watershed contains many wildflowers of numerous taxa; included in these are the Yellow Mariposa Lily, Calochortus luteus.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 0.8 square miles (2.1 km2), all of it land.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Lemon Cove had a population of 308. The population density was 369.5 people per square mile (142.7/km²). The racial makeup of Lemon Cove was 261 (84.7%) White, 0 (0.0%) African American, 5 (1.6%) Native American, 3 (1.0%) Asian, 2 (0.6%) Pacific Islander, 12 (3.9%) from other races, and 25 (8.1%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 76 persons (24.7%).
The Census reported that 308 people (100% of the population) lived in households, 0 (0%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 120 households, out of which 39 (32.5%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 53 (44.2%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 19 (15.8%) had a female householder with no husband present, 7 (5.8%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 4 (3.3%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 0 (0%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 37 households (30.8%) were made up of individuals and 10 (8.3%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57. There were 79 families (65.8% of all households); the average family size was 3.16.
The population was spread out with 82 people (26.6%) under the age of 18, 32 people (10.4%) aged 18 to 24, 58 people (18.8%) aged 25 to 44, 92 people (29.9%) aged 45 to 64, and 44 people (14.3%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39.6 years. For every 100 females there were 106.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 107.3 males.
There were 153 housing units at an average density of 183.5 per square mile (70.9/km²), of which 77 (64.2%) were owner-occupied, and 43 (35.8%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 0%; the rental vacancy rate was 6.0%. 202 people (65.6% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 106 people (34.4%) lived in rental housing units.
As of the census of 2000, there were 298 people, 121 households, and 76 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 355.5 people per square mile (137.0/km²). There were 145 housing units at an average density of 173.0 per square mile (66.6/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 87.25% White, 0.67% African American, 4.70% Native American, 2.01% Asian, 4.70% from other races, and 0.67% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 12.08% of the population.
There were 121 households out of which 26.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.1% were married couples living together, 7.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.4% were non-families. 34.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.46 and the average family size was 3.18.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 26.2% under the age of 18, 6.7% from 18 to 24, 26.8% from 25 to 44, 24.8% from 45 to 64, and 15.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 101.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.2 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $28,333, and the median income for a family was $36,607. Males had a median income of $20,938 versus $30,625 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $16,200. About 21.9% of families and 32.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 54.2% of those under the age of eighteen and 16.7% of those sixty five or over.
In the state legislature Lemon Cove is located in the 18th Senate District, represented by Republican Roy Ashburn, and in the 34th Assembly District, represented by Republican Bill Maze. Federally, Lemon Cove is located in California's 21st congressional district, which has a Cook PVI of R +13 and is represented by Republican Devin Nunes.
- Willard Hershberger, baseball player.
- U.S. Census
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- C. Michael Hogan. 2009. Yellow Mariposa Lily: Calochortus luteus, GlobalTwitcher.com, ed. N. Stromberg
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Will Gerrymandered Districts Stem the Wave of Voter Unrest?". Campaign Legal Center Blog. Retrieved 2008-02-10.