List of air carriers banned in the European Union
The list of air carriers banned in the European Union is a list of airlines failing to meet regulatory oversight standards of the EU, and which are banned from entering the airspace of any member state. The first version of the list was published in 2006, on the legal basis of the Regulation No. 474/2006 of the European Commission, issued on 22 March of that year.
The current version of the list was published on 10 April 2014.
The process by which an air carrier is listed is laid out in Regulation (EC) No 2111/2005 of the European Parliament and Council. It involves consultation between the regulatory agencies of the member states, the institutions of the European Community, the authorities with responsibility for regulatory oversight of the air carrier concerned, and the air carrier itself. Before being listed, each air carrier has the right of appeal. The list is subject to periodical review.
List of air carriers
||TAAG Angola Airlines is subject to restrictions under Annex B|
|Republic of the Congo||
|Democratic Republic of the Congo||
||Nouvelle Air Affaires Gabon are subject to restrictions under Annex B|
||Air Astana is is subject to restrictions under Annex B|
|São Tomé and Príncipe||
Annex B: List of air carriers of which operations are subject to operational restrictions in the EU
Annex B of the EU list covers airlines which are restricted to operating only certain aircraft within the EU. Air carriers listed in Annex B could be permitted to exercise traffic rights by using wet-leased aircraft of an air carrier which is not subject to an operating ban, provided that the relevant safety standards are complied with. It includes the following airlines, with the airline license having been issued in the respective countries:
|Country of operator||Restricted airlines||Aircraft permitted||Country of aircraft registry||Notes|
|Angola||TAAG Angola Airlines||5 Boeing 777s registered D2-TED,-TEE,-TEF,-TEG,-TEH; 4 Boeing 737-700s registered D2-TBF,-TBG,-TBH,-TBJ||Angola|
|Comoros||Comores Air Services||1 Let L-410 Turbolet registered D6-CAM||Comoros|
|Gabon||Nouvelle Air Affaires Gabon||1 Bombardier Challenger 600 registered TR-AAG, 1 HS-125 registered ZS-AFG|| Gabon/
|Ghana||Airlift International||2 Douglas DC-8s registered 9G-TOP,-RAC||Ghana|
|Iran||Iran Air||14 Airbus A300s registered EP-IBA,-IBB,-IBC,-IBD,-IBG,-IBH,-IBI,-IBJ,-IBM,-IBN,-IBO,-IBS,-IBT,-IBV; 8 Airbus A310s registered EP-IBX,-IBZ,-ICE,-ICF,-IBK,-IBL,-IBP,-IBQ; 1 Boeing 737 registered EP-AGA||Iran||Iran Air is allowed to operate to the European Union using the specific aircraft under the conditions set out in recital (69) Regulation (EU) No 590/2010, OJ L 170, 6.7.2010, p. 15.|
|Kazakhstan||Air Astana||All Boeing 757, Boeing 767, and Airbus A320 family aircraft on its air operating certificate||Aruba||Air Astana must notify Eurocontrol of any changes to its Boeing or Airbus fleet, and all Air Astana Boeing or Airbus planes operating into the EU must be registered in Aruba.|
|Madagascar||Air Madagascar||2 Boeing 737-300s registered 5R-MFH,-MFI; 2 ATR 72s registered 5R-MJE,-MJF; 2 ATR 42s registered 5R-MJG,-MVT; 3 Twin Otters registered 5R-MGC,-MGD,-MGF||Madagascar|
|North Korea||Air Koryo||2 Tupolev Tu-204s registered P-632,-633||North Korea|
- Regulations establishing the list
- Regulation (EC) No 2111/2005 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 14 December 2005 on the establishment of a Community list of air carriers subject to an operating ban within the Community and on informing air transport passengers of the identity of the operating air carrier
- Commission Regulation (EC) No 474/2006 of 22 March 2006 establishing the Community list of air carriers which are subject to an operating ban within the Community referred to in Chapter II of Regulation (EC) No 2111/2005 of the European Parliament and of the Council
- "List of airlines subject to an operating ban or operational restrictions within the European Union". European Commission for Transport. European Commission. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- Fly Well portal at the European Commission Directorate-General for Energy and Transport
- Questions and answers on the list of air carriers subject to an operating ban in the EU (the "black list")