List of anthropology journals
|Social and cultural subfields|
Academic anthropological knowledge is the product of lengthy research, and is published in recognized peer-review periodicals. As part of this peer-review, theories and reports are rigorously and comparatively tested before publication. The following publications are generally recognized as the major sources of anthropological knowledge.
Four-field journals 
These journals publish articles in the four fields of anthropology: archaeology, biological, cultural, and linguistic.
- American Anthropologist: premier journal of the AAA, incorporating all four fields.
- Current Anthropology: Published by the University of Chicago Press and sponsored by the Wenner-Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research.
Cultural anthropology journals 
- American Ethnologist: published by the American Ethnological Society, a sub-section of the AAA. The American Ethnologist is a quarterly journal concerned with ethnology in the broadest sense of the term.
- Anthropological Quarterly: Since 2001, the journal has been published by the George Washington University Institute for Ethnographic Research.
- Cultural Anthropology: The quarterly journal of the Society for Cultural Anthropology.
- Ethnology: published by the University of Pittsburgh. It specializes in ethnographic articles and cross-cultural studies.
- General Anthropology
- Public Culture: Published by Duke University Press for the Institute for Public Knowledge, the journal seeks to address "the cultural transformations associated with cities, media and consumption, and the cultural flows that draw cities, societies and states into larger transnational relationships and global political economies."
Journals on cultural anthropology topics 
- Annals of Anthropological Practice
- Anthropology of Consciousness: publication of the Society for the Anthropology of Consciousness, by American Anthropological Association since 1990.
- Anthropology of Work Review
- Anthropology & Education Quarterly
- Anthropology & Humanism
- City & Society
- Culture, Agriculture, Food and Environment
- Human Organization: is the journal of the Society for Applied Anthropology. Its primary objective is the scientific investigation of the principles controlling the relations of human beings to one another and the wide application of these principles to practical problems.
- Journal of Contemporary Ethnography: published by SAGE Publications, it covers research in ethnography.
- Medical Anthropology Quarterly is published for the Society for Medical Anthropology by the American Anthropological Association. It addresses topics in human health and disease from anthropological perspectives.
- Museum Anthropology
- PoLAR: Political and Legal Anthropology Review
- Transforming Anthropology
Historical anthropology journals 
- Comparative Studies in Society and History: Published quarterly by Cambridge University Press on behalf of the Society for Comparative Study of Society and History.
- Ethnohistory: published quarterly by Duke University Press on behalf of the American Society for Ethnohistory.
- Focaal: Journal of Global and Historical Anthropology: published by Berghahn Books focused on the conjunction of anthropology and history as well on the incorporation of local research settings in the wider spatial networks of globalization or empire.
- History and Anthropology: Published quarterly by Routledge. Addresses the intersection of history and social sciences, focusing on the interchange between anthropologically-informed history, historically-informed anthropology and the history of ethnographic and anthropological representation.
Journals by geographic area of coverage 
- Anthropological Journal of European Cultures: published by Berghahn Books. The journal covers research addressing the cultural and social changes of the societies in contemporary Europe.
- The Australian Journal of Anthropology: published triannually by Wiley-Blackwell on behalf of the Australian Anthropological Society, it covers anthropological topics including theoretically focused analyses and ethnographic reports in the Pacific and Asian regions neighbouring Australia.
- Bijdragen tot de Taal-, Land- en Volkenkunde: published in english by the Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies. It focuses in particular on linguistics, anthropology, and history of Southeast Asia, and more specifically of Indonesia
- Journal de la Société des Américanistes: ' (English: Journal of the Society of Americanists) covers the cultural anthropology of the Americas.
- Journal of Latin American and Caribbean Anthropology
- North American Dialogue
- Oceania: publishes contributions in the field of social and cultural anthropology, and its primary regional orientation is to the peoples of Oceania, primarily comprising Australia, Melanesia, Polynesia, Micronesia and southeast Asia.
Social anthropology journals 
- Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute: Published by Wiley-Blackwell on behalf of the Royal Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland.
- L'Homme: L'Homme. Revue française d'anthropologie, is a French anthropological journal established as a French counterpart to Man and American Anthropologist.
- Social Analysis: published by Berghahn Books it presents contributions directed toward a critical and theoretical understanding of cultural, political, and social processes.
- Social Anthropology: Published since 2007 by Wiley-Blackwell on behalf of the European Association of Social Anthropologists. It was established in 1992 and originally published by Cambridge University Press.