Little Man (2006 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Keenen Ivory Wayans|
|Produced by||Keenen Ivory Wayans
|Written by||Keenen Ivory Wayans
|Music by||Teddy Castellucci|
|Editing by||Nick Moore
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
|Running time||98 minutes|
Little Man (stylized as LiTTLE MAN) is a 2006 American comedy film written, produced and directed by Keenen Ivory Wayans, and also written and produced by Wayans Brothers Marlon and Shawn Wayans, who also both starred in the lead roles. The film co-stars Kerry Washington, John Witherspoon, Tracy Morgan and Lochlyn Munro. The film was released in the United States on July 14, 2006.
Calvin (Marlon Wayans) is a very short thief and convict. With the help of his goofball cohort Percy (Tracy Morgan), Calvin plots a jewellery shop robbery to steal one of the world's largest diamonds. After the successful robbery, the duo are almost arrested, but not before Calvin manages to stash the diamond in a nearby woman's handbag. The thieves follow the handbag's owner to her home where they discover a couple, Darryl (Shawn Wayans) and Vanessa (Kerry Washington), who are eager to have a child.
Calvin and Percy hatch a plot to pass Calvin as a baby left on the couple's doorstep. Darryl and Vanessa, wanting a child, immediately adopt the baby as their own. However, Vanessa's dad Pops (John Witherspoon) has a bad feeling about Calvin. Friends of the couple find Calvin odd as well. A local goon, Walken (Chazz Palminteri), discovers the deception and demands the diamond from Percy. Percy sells out Darryl and now Calvin, in a series of comedic maneuvers, manages to rescue Darryl and have Walken arrested. They are given a substantial reward for the recovery of the diamond.
Before he leaves, Calvin thanks Darryl for taking care of him even though he wasn't really a baby. Calvin is about to be out of Darryl's life for good, as Darryl watches him leave. Calvin is crying hysterically, so Darryl decides to let Calvin stay around and from that point on, the two men become the best of friends. The film ends with Calvin and Pops playing with Darryl and Vanessa's new baby, who looks exactly like Darryl (Shawn Wayans's face on the baby face).
- Marlon Wayans as Calvin Simms
- Shawn Wayans as Darryl Edwards
- Kerry Washington as Vanessa Edwards
- John Witherspoon as Pops
- Tracy Morgan as Percy P
- Lochlyn Munro as Greg
- Chazz Palminteri as Walken
- Molly Shannon as Soccer Mom
- David Alan Grier as Jimmy
- Dave Sheridan as Rosco
- Fred Stoller as Richard
- Brittany Daniel as Brittany
- Linden Porco as Calvin's Body
- Gabe Pimental as Calvin's Body
- Alex Borstein as Janet
- Kelly Coffield Park as The Jewerler
- Damien Dante Wayans as Officer Wilson
- Rob Schneider as D-Rex (uncredited cameo)
- Uriel Garcia as Shaq
Filming began in the Vancouver area on October 17, 2005 and finished on March 1, 2006.
The scenes with Calvin Sims were played twice: once by nine-year-old 75 cm (2 ft 6 in) tall dwarf actor Linden Porco together with the other actors, and once by Marlon Wayans alone, using a "bluescreen" technique with a green background and green clothes. In post-production, Porco's head on the images was replaced by that of Marlon. Porco's body was painted brown in order to match Marlon's face. Shawn Wayans' face was also superimposed in the final scene.
- "My House" by Lloyd Banks and 50 Cent
- "Ridin'" by Chamillionaire and Krayzie Bone
- "The Message" by Echo & the Bunnymen
- "Movin' on Up" by Jeff Berry and Ja'net Dubois
- "Celebration" by Robert Kool Bell
- "Home Sweet Home/Bittersweet Symphony" by Limp Bizkit
- "Lifetime" by Muddy Waters
- "In This Moment" by Ill Niño
- "Purple Haze" by Maxwell
- "Buddy (D-Rex Theme Song)" by Dwayne Wayans and Eric Willis
- "Best Friend" by Harry Nilsson
- "Pump It" by The Black Eyed Peas
- "Happy Birthday to You" by Mildred J. Hill and Patty S. Hill
- "Praise You" by Fatboy Slim
- "Candy Shop" (instrumental) by 50 Cent and Olivia
Little Man film grossed $58,255,287 domestically and a total $101,589,216 worldwide. The film's budget was $64 million.
The film received negative reviews. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes gave the film a rating of 12% based on 86 reviews. The site's consensus is "Another gimmicky comedy from the Wayans brothers, Little Man comes with the requisite raunchiness, but forgot to bring the laughs."
|This section requires expansion. (August 2013)|
It was nominated for seven 2006 Golden Raspberry Awards: Worst Picture, Worst Actor (Marlon Wayans & Shawn Wayans), Worst Actor (Rob Schneider, also nominated for his performance in The Benchwarmers), Worst Director (Keenen Ivory Wayans), Worst Screen Couple (Shawn Wayans & EITHER Kerry Washington OR Marlon Wayans), Worst Screenplay and Worst Remake or Rip-off (of the 1954 Bugs Bunny cartoon Baby Buggy Bunny). It later won three of the awards, Worst Actor, Worst Screen Couple and Worst Remake or Rip-off.
- Box Office Mojo Staff Little Man finance report, BoxOfficeMojo.com
- Little Man (2006 film) at Rotten TomatoesRetrieved on 2009-09-30.
- www.News.com.au - Stone big winner - loser - at Razzies. February 25, 2007
- Official website
- Little Man at the Internet Movie Database
- Little Man at allmovie
- Little Man at Rotten Tomatoes
- Little Man at Box Office Mojo