||The examples and perspective in this article deal primarily with North America and do not represent a worldwide view of the subject. (August 2010)|
In sports, a losing streak is an uninterrupted string of contests (whether games, matches, etc.) lost by a team or individual. A losing streak can last as few as two games, or it may last much longer. A losing streak and a winless streak are distinctively different, as a winless streak may include:
- tie games
- in association football, ice hockey and some field hockey leagues, overtime or shootout losses
- in first-class cricket unfinished matches.
Tie games can also be included in an unbeaten streak, as it is in soccer.
Here is a list of the longest team losing streaks of all time in several competitions:
- NCAA Football Division I (FBS): Northwestern Wildcats, 34 games (1979-1982) 
- NCAA Football Division I (FCS): Prairie View A&M Panthers, 80 games (1989-1998)
- NCAA Football Division II: Lock Haven Bald Eagles, 52 games (2007-2012)
- NCAA Football Division III: Macalester Scots, 50 games (1974-1980)
- NCAA Basketball:
- Division I, men: Towson Tigers, 41 games (2011-2012)
- Division I, women: Long Island Blackbirds, 58 games (1986-1989)
- Division II, men: Olivet Comets and Southwest Minnesota State Mustangs, 46 games (1959-1961 & 1971-1973)
- Division II, women: Notre Dame de Namur Argonauts, 70 games
- Division III, men: Caltech Beavers, 207 games (1996-2007) (record for all divisions, men or women)
- Division III, women: Schreiner Mountaineers, 83 games (all-division record for women)
- Note: New Jersey Institute of Technology Highlanders lost 51 games (2007-2009) while in the process of becoming a Division I program, but is not an official record.
- NBA Basketball: Cleveland Cavaliers: 26 games (2010-2011)
- WNBA Basketball: Tulsa Shock: 20 games
- MLB Baseball:
- NHL Hockey: Washington Capitals and San Jose Sharks: 17 games
- NFL Football: Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 26 games
- USL Pro Soccer: Antigua Barracuda FC: 26 games
- CFL Football: Hamilton Tigers/Tiger-Cats: 16 games
- NCAA Men's Tennis Division 1: Wagner College 59 matches 2007-2012
- NCAA Lacrosse Division I: Wagner College: 29 games
- NCAA Lacrosse Division III: City College of New York: 92 games
- CIS Football: University of Toronto Varsity Blues: 49 games
- United States Hockey League: Omaha Lancers: 53 games (entire 1986–87 season, 5 games of the 87–88 season)
- VFL/AFL Australian Football: Melbourne University Football Club: 51 games
- SANFL Australian Rules Football: Glenelg Football Club: 56 games
- WAFL Australian Rules Football: West Perth Football Club and Peel Thunder Football Club: 27 games
- NSWRL and NRL rugby league: Sydney University rugby league team: 42 games
- Test Cricket: Bangladesh – 21 matches (2001–2004)
- One Day International cricket: Bangladesh – 23 matches (1999–2002)
- Twenty20 International: Bangladesh – 12 matches (2007-pres)
- Combined international cricket: Bangladesh – 28 matches (10 tests, 18 ODIs, 2003–2004)
- Twenty20 club or domestic: Quetta Bears – 19 matches (2005-pres)
List of the longest individual losing streaks of all time in each sport:
- MLB Baseball: Anthony Young: 27 consecutive losing decisions
- ATP: Vince Spadea: 21 consecutive matches
- List of Major League Baseball longest losing streaks
- List of National Basketball Association longest losing streaks
- Imperfect season
- Winning streak (sports)
- Sports Illustrated Photo Gallery of the most memorable losing streaks
- Forbes' Worst Losing Streaks in Sports
- Worst college football teams of all time. ESPN.com Page 2,
- NCAA FBS Records, 2012
- "Worst College Football Teams of All Time". ESPN. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- Albright, Bill. "Lock Haven Skid at 50 after Last-Second TD". Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- Scherr, Rich (28 January 2012). "Towson men's basketball team ends record losing streak". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 28 January 2012.
- "Women's Hoops Ends Losing Streak with Victory over N.D. de Namur". Hornetsports.com. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Caltech ends 26-year league drought". NCAA.com. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Inside Schreiner: Women's Basketball". Inside Schreiner. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- Garcia, Marlen. "Towson's losing streak reaches record proportions". USA Today. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- "Games Lost by Teams Records". Baseball Almanac.
- "Memorable Losing Streaks". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- WAFL Footy Facts: Consecutive Games Lost