|Elevation||262 m (860 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||HR 34|
Mahendragarh is a town and a municipal committee in Mahendragarh district in the north Indian state of Haryana. It takes only 2 hours to reach Mahendragarh and is 115.0 KM away from Gurgaon and comes under National Capital Region (India).
Origin of name
The district is named after Mahendragarh town, which was previously known as Kanaud. The previous name was derived from the Kanaudia group of Brahmins.
There is a fort at Mahendragarh which was built by Maratha ruler, Tantia Tope during the 19th century. This fort was named as Mahendragarh in 1861 by Narendra Singh, the ruler of Patiala, in honour of his son, Mahendra Singh and consequently the town came to be known as Mahendragarh. The name of Narnaul Nizamat was changed to "Mahendragarh Nizamat".
Other nearby fort is Madhogarh Fort on top of the hill near Madhogarh village.
Mahendragarh is located at  It has an average elevation of 262 metres (859 feet). Mahendragarh district is bounded on the north by Bhiwani and Rohtak districts, on the east by Rewari district and Alwar district of Rajasthan, on the south by Alwar, Jaipur and Sikar districts of Rajasthan, and on the west by Sikar and Jhunjhunu districts of Rajasthan. It has 2 tehsils of Narnaul and Mahendergarh..
It is named after Maharaj Mahendra singh who was the ruler during the Mughal era. It is situated at the bank of Dohan river (which was a seasonal river),which is at the verge of extinction.
With various leading schools and colleges, Mahendragarh has become as the education hub of India. Central University has been established in Mahendergarh having campus area of 488 acre. Mahendragarh has various engineering colleges as well. Mahendergarh is hub of international level schools with ultra modern aminities with high class of study level where students from Delhi, rajshthan, UP, Panjab etc getting education to achieve their dreams. Mahendergarh have maximum no. of education college in haryana state. There are Engineering colleges in this district as given below- Yaduvanshi college of Engineering & Technology, Narnaul, Haryana
As of 2001 India census, Mahendragarh had a population of 23,977. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Mahendragarh has an average literacy rate of 67%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 76%, and female literacy is 57%. In Mahendragarh, 14% of the population is under 6 years of age. Hindus constitute 98% of the population.
In spite of being a district headquarters, there is no administrative office. All the relevant work is done in Narnaul. The very first guggul (Commiphora wightii) vatika (place where medicinal plants are planted) was established here.
Now many government offices have opened in Mahendragarh near Government Boys college in new Court.
According to Haryana District Gazetteers: Mahendragarh Ahirs and Rajputs form the agricultural backbone of the district.However Yaduvanshi Ahirs are in majority in the district. Electionresults are mainly influenced by Ahirs.
- Ramdev - Yoga Guru
- Ram Bilas Sharma - Politician(Current Education Minister of Haryana
- J. N. Singh Yadav - Historian
- Rao Dan Singh - Politician
- Rao Tula Ram - Freedom Fighter
- Sher Shah Suri- Fonder of Sur Empire.
- Rao Kulvir Singh Bohra-Social activist and founder of Mahendragarh Vikas
- "Gurgaon per capita income 10 times that of Mahendragarh". Indian Express. 2013-01-19. Retrieved 2014-07-06.
- "Mahendragarh, Bhiwani included in NCR". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 2014-07-06.
- "Gurgaon Mahendragarh Distance|Distance Between Gurgaon And Mahendragarh|Gurgaon Mahendragarh Road Distance|Mahendragarh Gurgaon Distance|Mahendragarh Gurgaon Driving Distance". Distancesbetween.com. Retrieved 2014-07-06.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Mahendragarh
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "Haryana District Gazetteers: Mahendragarh - Haryana (India) - Google Books". Books.google.co.in. 2008-09-02. Retrieved 2014-07-06.
- Haryana District Gazetteers: Mahendragarh-page-67