Maria Gaidar, Moscow, 28 September 2006
|Born||Maria Yegorovna Smirnova
21 October 1982
|Parents||Yegor Gaidar (deceased)
Maria Yegorovna Gaidar (Russian: Мари́я Его́ровна Гайда́р; 1990-2004 Smirnova (Russian: Смирно́ва); born 21 October 1982, Moscow) is a Russian political activist and the founder of the Youth movement "DA!" ("Yes!") (Russian: "ДА!"). She is the daughter of former Russian Prime Minister, Yegor Gaidar. On July 23, 2009 she was confirmed as a deputy governor in Kirov Oblast.
She was one of the leaders of The Other Russia organization and Union of Rightist Forces party. She has been a fierce critic of Putin's government and has been briefly detained for involvement in peaceful dissenters' marches and for placing a propaganda poster under a bridge using mountaineering gear. In connections with her arrests, she said that "Politics is becoming more dangerous. I think this is a message people want to put across - if you come to such an event, then you are risking your life".
She was actively involved in Russian presidential election, 2008 and manufactured numerous video materials where Vladimir Putin is painted as anti-Christ who leads the world to the nuclear Apocalypse.
In February 2009 she became an advisor to the new governor of Kirov Oblast Nikita Belykh and on July 23 she was confirmed as a deputy governor in Kirov Oblast. Gaidar had previously stated that Nikita Belykh had "sold his soul to the devil" when he accepted the post as governor from president Dmitry Medvedev.
- Daughters of two Putin opponents take on Kremlin, The Sunday Times, August 7, 2005, by Mark Franchetti
- Eye on Russia: Guests CNN June 29, 2007
- Kasparov arrested in Moscow by Megan K. Stack, LA Times
- Dissenters Crushed by Ekaterina Savina and Andrei Kozenko, Kommersant
- Last samurais without Khakamada by Sergei Mulin, Novaya Gazeta
- Two election law protesters detained near Kremlin Sputnik News November 23, 2006
- Putin critics, fans battle on the Internet, The Daily Telegraph[dead link]
- To Dismay of Some, Bush Takes Gentler Approach Toward Putin, The Washington Post
- Jon Skillings When computers write obits by Jonathan Skillings CNET December 13, 2006
- Parties start media battle ahead of elections, Russia Today November 6, 2007
- "Мария Гайдар утверждена заместителем губернатора Кировской области". Kommersant. July 23, 2009. Retrieved July 28, 2009.
- "Oppositionist politician is new governor of Kirov Region". Russia Today. December 18, 2008. Retrieved December 20, 2008.[dead link]
- Weblog of Maria Gaidar