Hezonja in 2012 with FC Barcelona B
|No. 8 – FC Barcelona|
|Position||Shooting guard / Small forward|
25 February 1995 |
|Listed height||6 ft 7.5 in (2.02 m)|
|Listed weight||218 lb (99 kg)|
|2012–2013||→ Barcelona B|
|Career highlights and awards|
Mario Hezonja (born 25 February 1995) is a Croatian professional basketball player who currently plays for FC Barcelona of the ACB League. He also represents the Croatian national basketball team internationally. Standing at 2.02 m (6 ft 7 1⁄2 in), he primarily plays at the shooting guard position, but he can also play the small forward position.
Hezonja started playing basketball at the age of 13 in Dubrovnik where he stayed for two seasons. After finishing primary school, in 2010, Hezonja signed a contract with the Croatian club Zagreb. In 2011, he won the Euroleague Basketball Nike International Junior Tournament with Zagreb. He was named the All-Tournament team, alongside with then teammate Dario Šarić. He skipped the 2011–2012 season because of the broken arm and mononucleosis.
In July 2012, Hezonja signed a three-year contract with the Spanish club FC Barcelona. He also has an option to extend for additional four years with the club. Zagreb also got 150 thousand euros in the name of buyout, as he was still under contract. For the 2012–13 season, he was loaned to the reserve team of the club: Barcelona B of the LEB Oro, Spanish second division.
In 2013, Hezonja was invited to be a part of the world team at the Nike Hoop Summit, but couldn't attend because of injury.
Croatian national team
Hezonja was named Most Valuable Player of the 2011 FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship, after leading his team with a double-double in the final, 21 points, 10 rebounds and 3 steals. Over the tournament, he averaged 20 points, 8.2 rebounds and 2.7 assists.
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field-goal percentage||3P%||3-point field-goal percentage||FT%||Free-throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||PIR||Performance Index Rating|
Note: The Euroleague is not the only competition in which the player participated for the team during the season, he also played in domestic competition.
Awards and accomplishments
- Junior club honours
- Senior club honours
Croatian national team
- Junior national team
- 2011 FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship: MVP
- 2011 Nike International Junior Tournament: All-Tournament Team
- Sportske novosti award for Fair Play (2011)
- 2012 FIBA Under-17 World Championship: All-Tournament Team
- 2013 Torneo de L'Hospitalet: All-Tournament Team
- LEB Oro Rising Star (2013)
- Vera, Sergio. "Hezonja, la gran perla que aterriza en Barcelona" (in Spanish). Sport.es. Retrieved 11 July 2012.
- "Valanciunas Young Men’s POY 2012". FIBA Europe.com. 06/02/2013. Retrieved 2013-02-20. Check date values in:
- "Mario Hezonja, jugador de la jornada 19" (in Spanish). ACB.com. 1 February 2015.
- Casey, Dan (7 August 2011). "Super Mario Leads Croatia to Gold". FIBA Europe.com.
- Casey, Dan (07/08/2011). "MVP Hezonja Leads All-Tournament Team". FIBA Europe.com. Retrieved 2013-02-20. Check date values in:
- "Košarkašice i Hezonja uz Ivicu i Blanku" (in Croatian). Kosarka.org. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- Romero, Pablo (2013-06-24). "Un quinteto plagado de ilusiones" (in Spanish). AdeccoOro.com. Retrieved 2013-07-07.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mario Hezonja.|
- Mario Hezonja at acb.com (Spanish)
- Mario Hezonja at draftexpress.com
- Mario Hezonja at eurobasket.com
- Mario Hezonja at euroleague.com