|Born||May 1977 (age 36)
|Alma mater||Sharif University of Technology
|Doctoral advisor||Curtis McMullen|
|Notable awards||Blumenthal Award (2009)|
Maryam Mirzakhani (Persian: مریم میرزاخانی ; born May 1977) is an Iranian mathematician, Professor of Mathematics (since September 1, 2008) at Stanford University. Her research interests include Teichmüller theory, hyperbolic geometry, ergodic theory, and symplectic geometry. She is an alumna of the National Organization for Development of Exceptional Talents (NODET), in Tehran, Iran. She studied at Farzanegan high school.
She found international recognition as a brilliant teenager after receiving gold medals at both the 1994 International Mathematical Olympiad (Hong Kong) and the 1995 International Mathematical Olympiad (Toronto), where she finished with a perfect score.
Mirzakhani obtained her BSc in Mathematics (1999) from the Sharif University of Technology. She holds a PhD from Harvard University (2004), where she worked under the supervision of the Fields Medallist Curtis McMullen. She was a Clay Mathematics Institute Research Fellow and a professor at Princeton University.
Awards and honours
- The 2013 AMS Ruth Lyttle Satter Prize in Mathematics. "Presented every two years by the American Mathematical Society, the Satter Prize recognizes an outstanding contribution to mathematics research by a woman in the preceding six years. The prize was awarded on Thursday, January 10, 2013, at the Joint Mathematics Meetings in San Diego."
- Full professor of Mathematics at Stanford University at age of 31, 2008.
- AMS Blumenthal Award 2009
- Clay Mathematics Institute Research Fellow 2004.
- Harvard Junior Fellowship Harvard University, 2003.
- Merit fellowship Harvard University, 2003.
- IPM Fellowship The Institute for theoretical Physics and Mathematics, Tehran, Iran, 1995-1999.
- She gave an invited talk at the International Congress of Mathematicians in 2010, on the topic of "Topology and Dynamical Systems & ODE".
- Curriculum Vitæ, Maryam Mirzakhani, Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- The Mathematics Genealogy Project, Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- Curriculum Vitæ, Maryam Mirzakhani (older version, at CMI), Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- Stanford Report, April 9, 2008 - Report of the President to the Board of Trustees
- Hall of fame at IMO website, Retrieved 2007-11-26.
- American Mathematical Society Retrieved 2009-01-06
- "ICM Plenary and Invited Speakers since 1897". International Congress of Mathematicians.
- Maryam Mirzakhani at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- PopSci's Fourth Annual Brilliant 10 : Maryam Mirzakhani (Popular Science 2005)
- 'Brilliant' minds honored: Maryam Mirzakhani (USA Today 2005)