A GM GR-12W A626 locomotive prepares to leave at the head of an Express service from La Plata to Constitución.
|Area served||Buenos Aires Province|
Metropolitano S.A. was a privately owned consortium formed in 1994 to take over concessions granted by the Argentine government, through the state-owned company FEMESA as part of railway privatisation during the presidency of Carlos Menem for the operation of commuter rail services in Buenos Aires. These services had previously been run by state-owned companies since nationalisation of the railways in 1948. In spite of the large government subsidies received by the company a serious decline in the standard of their rail services has led to these concessions being revoked and services are now operated by the consortium UGOFE.
The services run by Metropolitano started from termini in or near the city centre and were operated out into Greater Buenos Aires by the following subsidiary companies:
- Transportes Metropolitanos General San Martin S.A. (TMS) operated the Línea San Martín between 1 April 1994 and 7 January 2005.
- Transportes Metropolitanos General Roca S.A. (TMR) operated the Línea Roca between 1 January 1995 and 22 May 2007.
- Transportes Metropolitanos Belgrano Sur S.A. (TMB) operated the Línea Belgrano Sur between 1 May 1994 and 22 May 2007.
In spite of these companies receiving large government subsidies, their services deteriorated to a point where Metropolitano was repeatdly reported by the users, causing the Government of Argentina fined the company several times.
Finally, in 2004 here the concession for the operation of Línea San Martín was revoked in 2004 through National Decree N° 798.
A violent protest of users in Constitución station on May 15, 2007, led to the revocation of the contract of consession that same year through Decrees 591 and 592. The three railway lines were taken over by the consortium UGOFE, formed by private companies Ferrovías, Metrovías and Trenes de Buenos Aires.
- "Una empresa que nació en los años 90", Clarín, 16 May 2007
- "Los que viven del subsidio", Página/12, 16/05/2007
- "Hubo numerosos alertas que no se atendieron", La Nación, 17 May 2007
- "Metropolitano, una compañía con reiteradas sanciones", Terra, 16 May 2007
- "Protestaron contra el ex Roca en Constitución", Clarín, 16 Jan 2007
- "Lo que pasó se veía venir", Página/12, 17 May 2007
- Decreto 798/04: "Sobre Transporte Ferroviario", sitio web Infoleg
- "Caos y furia en Constitución por el atraso en los trenes", Clarín, 16 May 2007
- Decreto 591/07: "Sobre Servicios Ferroviarios de Pasajeros" at Infoleg website
- Decreto 592/07 "Sobre Servicios Ferroviarios de Pasajeros" at Infoleg website