Nyqvist in 2013
|Born||Rolf Åke Mikael Nyqvist
8 November 1960
|Other names||Michael Nykvist, Micke, Mikael, Michael|
Rolf Åke Mikael Nyqvist (born 8 November 1960) is a Swedish actor. Educated at the School of Drama in Malmö, he became well known from his role as police officer Banck in the first series of Beck films made in 1997. He is most recognized internationally for his role in the acclaimed Millennium series as Mikael Blomkvist, as well as in Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol as Kurt Hendricks, the lead villain.
Nyqvist was born in Stockholm, to a Swedish mother and an Italian father (from Florence). As a baby, he was adopted from an orphanage. At seventeen, he spent a year as an exchange student in the United States in Omaha, Nebraska. He took his first acting classes there, as a senior in high school playing, amongst other things, a small part in the drama Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller. When he returned to Sweden, he was accepted at ballet school, but after one year gave it up. An ex-girlfriend suggested he try theatre instead and at 24 he was accepted to the Malmö Theatre Academy. After graduating, Nyqvist worked mainly in theatre but also landed smaller parts in several different film productions.
Nyqvist's first big breakthrough came in 2000 with the film Together directed by Lukas Moodysson. The movie was set in the 1970s and followed the antics of life in a suburban commune in Stockholm. The movie achieved great international success and earned Nyqvist his first Guldbagge Best Actor nomination for his role as a misguided husband with anger issues. He later played the leading man in the Swedish romantic comedy, The Guy in the Grave Next Door directed by Kjell Sundvall. The film is based on the novel of the same name written by Katarina Mazetti. The film explored the difficulties that arise between a country farmer and a city librarian, highlighting the differences between blue-collar laborers and white-collar administrators. Nyqvist won a Guldbagge Best Actor award for his role as the farmer, Benny.
In 2004 he played the lead role as Daniel Daréus, a conductor and musician, in the Academy Award nominated Best Foreign Film As It Is in Heaven, directed by Kay Pollak. As It Is in Heaven is one of the most watched Swedish films, and the role highlighted Nyqvist's ability to display tenderness and vulnerability at the same time as rage and fear. In 2006 he starred in Suddenly directed by Johan Brisinger. In Suddenly, Nyqvist plays Lasse – a man who must come to terms with the sudden loss of his wife and son. In 2007 Nyqvist portrayed Swedish ambassador Harald Edelstam, in The Black Pimpernel, a hero who saved several people from execution in Chile during and after the military coupe in September 1973.
He has garnered recent international attention starring as Mikael Blomkvist in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Swedish title: Män som hatar kvinnor), The Girl Who Played with Fire (Swedish title: Flickan som lekte med elden) and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (Swedish title: Luftslottet som sprängdes) of Stieg Larsson's Millennium series. Although Nyqvist always was high on the list of potential actors to portray Blomkvist, it was his charisma that got him the role. Director of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Niels Arden Oplev found what he was looking for in Nyqvist – someone with the right looks, charm and likeability.
He starred in Abduction (2011), directed by John Singleton, He is also part of the permanent ensemble at the Royal Dramatic Theatre. Nyqvist appeared in the 2011 action thriller Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, the fourth film of the series, and directed by Brad Bird. In the film, Nyqvist portrays a madman code-named 'Cobalt', who wants to instigate a global war between Russia and the United States that he believes will restore ecological balance to the planet.
Nyqvist has described his childhood and quest to find his biological parents, subsequently in his adult life, in his autobiographical novel, Just After Dreaming (Swedish title: När barnet lagt sig). He is married to scenographer Catharina Ehrnrooth and has two children, Ellen and Arthur.
|1982||Kamraterna||The model||TV movie|
|1987||Jim och piraterna Blom|
|1996||Sånt är livet||Kalle Andersson|
|1997–1998||Beck||John Banck||TV series (7 episodes)|
|1998||Waiting for the tenor||The Director|
|1999||En dag i taget||Henrik||TV series|
|2001||Home Sweet Home||Kent|
|2002||Grabben i graven brevid||Benny|
|2003||Smala Sussie||Mörka Rösten|
|2004||As It Is in Heaven||Daniel Daréus|
|2004||Day and night||Jacob|
|2004||ABBA: Our Last Video Ever|
|2005||Shadow world||Short film|
|2005||Mother of Mine||Hjalmar Jönsson|
|2005||Bang Bang Orangutang||Sven Blomberg|
|2005||Wallander: Mastermind||Lothar Kraftzcyk||TV series (1 episode)|
|2007||The Black Pimpernel||Harald Edelstam|
|2007||Arn: The Knight Templar||Magnus Folkesson|
|2008||The Kautokeino Rebellion||Lars Levi Laestadius|
|2009||The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo||Mikael Blomkvist|
|2009||The Girl Who Played with Fire||Mikael Blomkvist|
|2009||The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest||Mikael Blomkvist|
|2010||The Woman That Dreamed About a Man||Johan|
|2010||Kennedys Hirn||Lars Hakansson||TV movie|
|2010||The Chinese Man||Staffan|
|2011||Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol||Kurt Hendricks|
|2013||Zero Hour||White Vincent||TV series|
|2013||Europa Report||Andrei Blok|
|2013||Days and Nights||Johan|
|2014||John Wick||Viggo Tarasov|
|2014||The Girl in the Book||Milan Daneker||Post-production|
|2014||100 Code||Mikael Eklund||TV series|
|2015||The Girl King||Chancellor Axel Oxenstierna||Completed|
|2015||Frank & Lola||Alan||Post-production|
- Best Male Actor at the Guldbagge, the Swedish Oscar 2002
- Filmstar of the year 2002 and 2004 by Aftonbladet, a Swedish newspaper
- Best Male Actor 2003 by Nöjesguiden
- Price winner The Golden Sun, 2004
- Best Actor in the International Film Festival in Gijon 2003
- As It Is in Heaven was nominated as Best Foreign Film at the Academy Awards in 2004
- Best Male Actor in the International Film Festival in Minsk 2006
- Won the Audience Price at the Gulbagge Gala 2006
- Dansa för oss (2013)
- När barnet lagt sig (2011)
- "Swedish star Michael Nyqvist's beautiful personal drama". Vancouver Observer. 2010-12-14. Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- Erfors, Staffan (11 June 2010). "Michael Nyqvist aktuell för Hollywoodfilm". Dagens Media (in Swedish). Retrieved 28 September 2010.
- Søndberg, Ole (26 April 2010). "Michael Nyqvist to star in The Man From Beijing". YellowBird (in Swedish). Retrieved 28 September 2010.
- Sneider, Jeff (24 September 2010). "Update: 'Dragon Tattoo' Star Michael Nyqvist Will Play Villain in 'M:I:4'". The Wrap (California). Retrieved 24 September 2010.
- Ebert, Roger (2011-12-14). "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol Movie Review (2011)". Roger Ebert. Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- "Jag kan göra det bättre". Dagens Nyheter (DN) (in Swedish). 14 March 2013. Retrieved 5 October 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Michael Nyqvist.|
- Michael Nyqvist at the Internet Movie Database
- Michael Nyqvist at the Royal Dramatic Theatre
- Larsson Trilogy from Quercus, publishers of Stieg Larsson
- The official Millennium site of Nordstedt Publishing (Swedish)