Mount Agassiz (California)
Mount Agassiz from Bishop Pass Trail.
|Elevation||13,899 ft (4,236 m) NAVD 88|
|Prominence||893 ft (272 m)|
|Parent peak||North Palisade|
|Fresno and Inyo counties, California, U.S.|
|Range||Palisades, Sierra Nevada|
|Topo map||USGS North Palisade|
|First ascent||August 30, 1925 by Norman Clyde|
|Easiest route||West slope, scramble, (class 2)|
Agassiz is at the north end of the Palisades in the eastern Sierra Nevada, near Bishop Pass. It stands on the boundary between Kings Canyon National Park and Inyo National Forest, and Fresno and Inyo counties.
The peak is named after Swiss-American scientist Louis Agassiz. The name Agassiz Needle was originally applied to another nearby peak in 1879, likely Mount Winchell, but at some point the name moved to the current peak.
There are three major routes to Agassiz's summit. The easiest is the west slope, both for its non-technical ascent and proximity to the Bishop Pass Trail. From South Lake, the trail climbs gently to Bishop Pass, and the summit route begins there. An attempt to ascend from the west via a chute can lead off route, to areas requiring more technical mountaineering skills and equipment.
Another class 2 scrambling route is the southeast face by the south ridge, from Agassiz Col.
See also 
- "Mount Agassiz, California". Peakbagger.com. Retrieved 2007-08-18.
- "Mount Agassiz". ListsOfJohn.com. Retrieved 2012-04-01.
- "Sierra Peaks Section List". Angeles Chapter, Sierra Club. http://angeles.sierraclub.org/sps/spslist.pdf. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- "Mount Agassiz". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2007-08-18.
- Secor, R.J. (2009). The High Sierra Peaks, Passes, and Trails (3rd ed.). Seattle: The Mountaineers. pp. 261–262. ISBN 9780898869712.
- Farquhar, Francis P. (1926). Place Names of the High Sierra. San Francisco: Sierra Club. Retrieved 2010-07-22.
- William Bright; Erwin Gustav Gudde (1998). 1500 California place names: their origin and meaning. University of California Press. p. 10. ISBN 978-0-520-21271-8. Retrieved 2012-01-20.
- Gudde, Erwin G. (1949). California Place Names. Berkeley: Univ. of California Press. p. 3.