|Directed by||Bill Condon|
|Produced by||Iain Canning
|Screenplay by||Bill Condon
|Based on||A Slight Trick of the Mind
by Mitch Cullin
|Starring||Sir Ian McKellen
|Music by||Carter Burwell|
|Cinematography||Tobias A. Schliessler|
|Edited by||Virginia Katz|
|Distributed by||FilmNation Entertainment (International)
Miramax Films (United States)
Mr. Holmes (previously known as A Slight Trick of the Mind) is an upcoming crime drama mystery film directed by Bill Condon, based on the 2005 novel A Slight Trick of the Mind written by Mitch Cullin. The film stars Sir Ian McKellen as Sherlock Holmes and Laura Linney as housekeeper Mrs. Munro.
Principal photography began on July 5, 2014, in London. The film is scheduled to be released in 2015. It had been selected to be screened out of competition at the 65th Berlin International Film Festival and had its premiere on 7 February 2015.
The film will be released in British cinemas on June 19, 2015.
In 1947, the long-retired Sherlock Holmes, aged 93, lives in a remote Sussex farmhouse with his housekeeper, Mrs. Munro, and her young son, Roger. Holmes reflects on his life while writing in his journals, tending to his bees, and dealing with the deterioration of his once incredible mind. The film, like the novel, uses flashbacks to reveal events of the past, when he was still at the height of his fame and mental ability at his Baker Street consulting rooms, and during a visit to Japan.
- Sir Ian McKellen as Sherlock Holmes
- Colin Starkey as Dr. John Watson
- Laura Linney as Mrs. Munro
- Hattie Morahan as Ann Kelmot
- Hiroyuki Sanada as Matsuda Umezaki
- Patrick Kennedy as Thomas Kelmot
- Roger Allam as Dr. Barrie
- Phil Davis as Inspector Gilbert
- Frances de la Tour as Madame Schirmer
- Milo Parker as Roger Munro
- Nicholas Rowe as "Matinee Sherlock" (Cameo)
On September 5, 2013 it was announced that Mitch Cullin's 2005 book A Slight Trick of the Mind will be adapted into a film with Ian McKellen as a long-retired Sherlock Holmes. Bill Condon would direct and adapt the screenplay along Jeffrey Hatcher. AI-Film was on board to finance and co-produce the film, Anne Carey would produce through her Archer Gray Productions, Iain Canning and Emile Sherman would produce through See-Saw Films, and BBC Films would also co-finance the film. FilmNation Entertainment would handle the international sales for the film. On May 7, 2014, Laura Linney and Hattie Morahan were added to the cast, in which Linney was set to play Mrs. Munro, the housekeeper to Holmes. On July 9, Hiroyuki Sanada was added to the cast to play Matsuda Umezaki, a Prickly Ash plant enthusiast who Holmes visits in Japan. On July 10, more cast revealed which includes Patrick Kennedy, Roger Allam, Phil Davis, Frances de la Tour and Milo Parker to play Mrs. Munro's son. On August 22, it was revealed that Nicholas Rowe who portrayed Holmes in the cult classic Young Sherlock Holmes will have a cameo role in the film. On September 3, Miramax acquired the United States' distribution rights to the film.
The principal photography began on July 5, 2014, in the United Kingdom. On July 9, actor McKellen tweeted his picture as Sherlock Holmes in the film. The film was set for a seven-week shoot on location in London and on the south coast of England.
- "Jafar Panahi’s New Film in Competition". berlinale.de. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Queen of the Desert". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 30 January 2015. Retrieved 28 January 2015.
- Kemp, Stuart (September 5, 2013). "Toronto: Ian McKellen to Play Retired Sherlock Holmes in Bill Condon's 'A Slight Trick of the Mind'". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- McNary, Dave (May 7, 2014). "Laura Linney Joins Ian McKellen in ‘A Slight Trick of the Mind’". variety.com. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- Yamto, Jen (July 9, 2014). "Hiroyuki Sanada Joins Sherlock Holmes Drama ‘A Slight Trick Of The Mind’". deadline.com. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- Barraclough, Leo (July 10, 2014). "First Image of Ian McKellen in Bill Condon’s ‘Mr. Holmes,’ Further Cast Revealed". variety.com. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- "Exclusive: Nicholas Rowe To Cameo In Mr Holmes - Movie News - Empire". empireonline.com. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- Hall, Gina (September 3, 2014). "Miramax Acquires Elderly Sherlock Tale ‘Mr. Holmes,’ Starring Ian McKellen and Laura Linney". thewrap.com. Retrieved September 3, 2014.
- "Principal photography began in UK 5 July 2014". mckellen.com.
- "ON THE SET FOR 7/07/14: OWEN WILSON & KRISTEN WIIG START RELATIVITY ARMORED CAR PROJECT, MEL GIBSON WRAPS ON BLOOD FATHER". studiosystemnews.com. July 7, 2014. Retrieved July 9, 2014.
- Fletcher, Harry (July 9, 2014). "See Ian McKellen as a 93-year-old Sherlock Holmes". digitalspy.co.uk. Retrieved July 9, 2014.
- "Carter Burwell to Score Bill Condon’s ‘Mr. Holmes’". filmmusicreporter.com. July 14, 2014. Retrieved July 14, 2014.