|Elevation||308 m (1,010 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Murtajapur is located at an average elevation of 308 metres (1210 feet). It is an important railway junction station in Akola district and is under Bhusawal-Badnera Section of Bhusawal Division of Central Railway.
As of 2001[update] India census, Murtijapur had a population of 48,551. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Murtijapur has an average literacy rate of 76%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 80%, and female literacy is 72%. In Murtijapur, 13% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Murtajapur railway station is the junction station of the 762mm narrow gauge railway known locally as the [Express]. This line is composed of two legs intersecting with the Howrah-Nagpur-Mumbai line at Murtajapur — the 76 km northern leg to Achalpur and the 113 km southeastern leg to Yavatmal. As of 2004 this line was still owned by a London-based company which had leased the line to India's Central Railway since 1903.
Murtajapur has a post office with PIN code as 444107. The PIN code is shared with other post offices in the tehsil viz Murtizapur City, Ambhora, Bhatori, Ghota, Ghunshi, Hirpur, Kherda Vilegaon, Kinkhed, Kajaleshwar, Kanadi, Kanzara, Lakhpuri, Mangrul Kambe, Nimbha, Sirso, Wai Pargane Mana, Sonori.
Murtajapur has schools from pre-primary to graduation in arts and commerce. Still there is a scope for colleges to provide education in science, engineering and medicine. There is clearly a lack of public interest for developing Murtajapur with respect to education. Local leaders need to put more efforts and focus in this area.
There are lot of young citizens of Murtajapur who have left the town for education and employment and have settled in the metro areas of Maharashtra like Pune, Mumbai and Nagpur. Several highly educated youths are even working abroad in the Multinational companies.
New government ITI has now started its building is hightech with its turbo ventilation system. Now just before two years there is establishment of polytechnic colleges in this town but still there is no medical or Engineering college.
The town has primary healthcare centres run by the State Government and a few privately run clinics. The town still lacks good healthcare services.
Mostly dependent on agriculture. Few small industries like oil mills and cotton pressing factories can be seen in MIDC. Town also has small traders in the market. Despite of having a good connectivity to the major cities like Mumbai, Hyderabad and Nagpur, one can see the lack of growth in this old town. Usually people go to nearby cities like Akola, Paratwada and Amravati for shopping, medical facilities and purchase of automobiles.
Places of interest
- Katepurna- Famous for temple of Goddess Durga
- Pundalik Nagar - Famous for temple of Sant Pundalik Maharaj
- Shree Tuljabhavani Mandir Virahit
- Lakhpuri Famous temple of lord shiva
- Shree Akkalkot Swami Samatha Santhan
- Shree Maruti Devasthan Devarn
- Shree Ramkrushna Mandir Mana
- Shri Badri Baba samadhi Mandir
- Shree Kartik swami Mandir
- Shree Markandeshwar Mandir Murtizapur
- Shree Vittalrao Jamadar Samadhi
- Shri Mahadev mandir Rajanapur Khinkhini
Notable people from Murtajapur
- Mr. Nanasaheb Raurale ex joint secretary in mantrayala mahrashtra has done lot of social work for upliftment of downtrodden people. has started government hostel facility for girls and boys. started cpmetetive coaching classes in many rural villages like shelu bazar..
- Dr. Vijay P. Bhatkar- is an IT computer scientist India. He is best known as an architect of the PARAM series of Supercomputers.
- Dr. Shrikant Tidke (Secretary of the World Marathi Academy)
- Late Dr. Capt. S.L. Dhami (1917–1997) medical practitioner and educationist known for his selfless social service in the rural area of Murtajapur taluka.
- Bhushan Mahadani -an internationally acclaimed film maker, writer and entrepreneur.
- Shri. Nanasaheb Ambekar (1934-2011), Head Master in Hindi-Urdu medium High school. Educationist, Social Worker.
- Late Dr. Vishnupant Nanoti he is famous Ayurveda doctor and social work
- Sunilkumar Harishankar Sharma awarded M.Sc. (Agri ) Worked as Production Manager in Birla seeds Bangalore, worked as Master trainer in Integrated pest Management and Now working as District Agri Business Expert Yavatmal.He is connected with famous shree swami samath Mandir.
- XOANON IT SOLUTIONS PVT. LTD. :- First IT company in Murtizapur. To provide live platform for the engineering and technology students.
We're try our best to improve the quality and ability of students from rural areas. Visit Us : https://xoanon.co.in
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Murtajapur
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "Satellite Map of Murtajapur Railway Station". India Rail Info. Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- "Indian Narrow-Gauge Lines 2002-2003". Simon Mortimer. Indian Railways Fan Club. February 13, 2004.
- Pin codes of Akola district, Akola pincodes, Maharashtra zip code