||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (February 2014)|
|Full name||Nadir Çiftçi|
|Date of birth||12 February 1992|
|Place of birth||Karakoçan, Turkey|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Current club||Dundee United|
|2003–2007||ADO Den Haag|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 15:17, 3 April 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Çiftçi moved from Dutch side ADO Den Haag to Portsmouth at the start of the 2007–08 Premier League season when he was just 15 years of age for a fee of around £80,000. Çiftçi signed professional terms in June 2010. After an impressive pre-season tour of the United States, he made his the first-team debut on 7 August 2010 as a substitute in a 2–0 defeat against Coventry City. On his first competitive start for Portsmouth, Çiftçi scored his first goal for the club against Stevenage on 9 August 2010 in the first round of the League Cup. This goal proved vital for Portsmouth as they won the match 2–1
He scored the opener in Portsmouth's first home game against Reading in the 2010–11 Championship season, his second goal in three competitive games. Following the arrival of Liam Lawrence, Çiftçi's playing time became more limited, but manager Steve Cotterill was reluctant to send him out on loan due to the club's lack of squad depth. He finished the season making 22 appearances (17 as substitute) and scoring two goals in all competitions.
Kayserispor and NAC Breda
On 14 May 2011, Çiftçi turned down the offer of a new contract with Portsmouth and signed with Turkish club Kayserispor. Because of his age, Portsmouth received £100,000 for the transfer. His contract was mutual terminated in June 2012 before trialling at NAC Breda and former club ADO Den Haag.
On 2 July 2013, Çiftçi went on trial to Scottish Premier League side Dundee United. On 25 July, he joined United on a two-year contract. Two days later, he scored for Dundee United with a stunning strike, in a 1–0 win against Wigan Athletic in a pre-season friendly. Çiftçi scored his first competitive goals for Dundee United on 28 August 2013 in their 3–2 win in the League Cup second round tie against Dumbarton. Çiftçi came on as a second half substitute and quickly equalised before going on to score the winning goal in the dying minutes of the game.
On 15 September 2013, Çiftçi scored his first league goal for Dundee United against Ross County. He followed this up 7 days later with another fine finish against Motherwell. On 5 October 2013, Çiftçi produced a piece of pure finesse. A contender for goal of the season as he smashed a 20 yard volley low and hard without the ball hitting the ground which proved to be the winner against Kilmarnock.
On 29 October 2013, Çiftçi was red-carded as Dundee United lost 2–1 against Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the League Cup. On 1 November 2013, with Dundee United having appealed against the ordering off, Çiftçi was then accused of grabbing an assistant referee by the throat and grabbing the face of an Inverness player during the same match. On 7 November 2013, the SFA judiciary panel ruled that the charge of grabbing the opponent was unproven and also reduced his red card to a yellow card. On 3 December 2013, Çiftçi was given a two-match suspension by the SFA, with one of those matches suspended until the end of the season. This was after the initial charge of "seizing hold" of the assistant referee "by the throat" was amended to "excessive misconduct at a match by placing an open hand into the lower area of the assistant referee's throat".
Although Çiftçi has represented the Netherlands at youth level, he has chosen to play for Turkey. In November 2010, Turkey national team coach Guus Hiddink (coincidentally a Dutchman) met Çiftçi to persuade him to switch his national allegiance to Turkey, and subsequently received a call-up after Çiftçi announced his desire to play for the country.
On 8 March 2011, Çiftçi made his debut for Turkey, but on U19 team, in the match against Montenegro. This game ended 3–0.
On 10 March 2011, Çiftçi made his first goal for U19, in the match against Montenegro. This game ended 3–3. On 2 July 2013, Pierre van Hooijdonk revealed that Çiftçi was about to make his senior Turkey debut but his passport application fell through, causing him out to miss out on a first international cap at senior level.
- Portsmouth first team profile
- "Nadir Çiftçi Portsmouth´un Umudu" (in Turkish).
- "Coventry 2–0 Portsmouth (7 August 2010)". BBC News. 7 August 2010.
- "Portsmouth 1–1 Reading (14 August 2010)". BBC News. 14 August 2010.
- "Cotterill still keen for youngster loan move". Portsmouth Today. 2 November 2010. Retrieved 16 November 2010.
- Çiftçi set for Kayserispor The News
- "Kayserispor coach Shota: "We will, to the summit Squad"" [Kayserispor Teknik Direktörü Şota: "Zirve için Kadro Kuracağız"] (in Turkish). Haberler.com. 16 May 2012. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "Çiftçi convinces distressed NAC Breda in trial" [Çiftçi overtuigt noodlijdend NAC Breda in proefperiode] (in Dutch). Voetbal International. 8 August 2012. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "ADO Den Haag is the ideal judge striker in house" [ADO Den Haag vindt de ideale rechterspits in eigen huis] (in Dutch). Voetbal International. 3 August 2012. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "NAC Breda explains attacker Ciftci fixed" [NAC Breda legt aanvaller Ciftci vast] (in Dutch). De Weekkrant. 24 August 2012. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "Nadir Çiftçi away at NAC" [Nadir Çiftçi weg bij NAC] (in Dutch). BN DeStem. 23 May 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "McNamara closes in on young English duo". Herald Scotland. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "Former NAC forward Nadir Ciftci joins Dundee United on a free transfer". STV Sport. 25 July 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "Wigan's pre-season ended in defeat as they went down 1–0 to Dundee United". Sky Sports. 27 July 2013. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- "Dundee Utd's Nadir Ciftci faces ban for 'seizing' official by throat". BBC Sport. 1 November 2013. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- "Dundee United: Nadir Ciftci red card reduced to yellow". BBC Sport. 7 November 2013. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- "Dundee Utd's Nadir Ciftci banned for excessive misconduct". BBC Sport. 3 December 2013. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- "Dundee United punish Rangers' defects to reach Scottish Cup final". BBC. 12 April 2014.
- "Irish Under 15 side Prepare for Dutch Encounter". Football Association of Ireland Official Website. 21 November 2006. Archived from the original on 29 July 2013. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "Turkish delight? Ciftci faces dilemma". Portsmouth Today. 3 November 2010. Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- "Nadir Çiftçi opts for Turkey". Turkish Football Federation. 16 November 2010. Retrieved 16 November 2010.
- – Montenegro 3–0 (Report)
- Turkey – Montenegro 3–3 (Report)
- "Passport blunder’s his Nadir". The Scottish Sun. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2013.