Native American Indian Heritage Month
On August 3, 1990 President of the United States George H. W. Bush declared the month of November as National American Indian Heritage Month, thereafter commonly referred to as Native American Heritage Month.  
The Bill read in part that “the President has authorized and requested to call upon Federal, State and local Governments, groups and organizations and the people of the United States to observe such month with appropriate programs, ceremonies and activities”. This was a landmark Bill honoring America’s Tribal people.
This commemorative month aims to provide a platform for Native people in the United States of America to share their culture, traditions, music, crafts, dance, and ways and concepts of life. This gives Native people the opportunity to express to their community, both city, county and state officials their concerns and solutions for building bridges of understanding and friendship in their local area.
Federal Agencies are encouraged to provide educational programs for their employees regarding Native American history, rights, culture and contemporary issues, to better assist them in their jobs and for overall awareness.
History of public observances for American Indians
101st Congress – Public Law 101-343 November 1990 National American Indian Heritage Month
101st Congress – Public Law 101-188 December 3–9, 1989 (American Indian Week)
100th Congress – Public Law 100-450, September 23–30, 1988 (American Indian Week)
100th Congress – Public Law 100-171, November 22–28, 1987 (American Indian Week)
99th Congress – Public Law 99-471, November 23–30, 1986 (American Indian Week)
97th Congress – Public Law 97-445, May 13, 1983 (American Indian Day)
- "National Native American Heritage Month". Library of Congress. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "Presidential Proclamation--National Native American Heritage Month (2010)". Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- Presidential Proclamation -- National Native American Heritage Month, 2011
- "Native American Heritage Month in the Classroom". Lesson Planet. November 22, 2011. Retrieved November 27, 2012.
- Presidential Proclamation - National Native American Heritage Month 2013