Oakwood Health System
The Oakwood Health System is a group of 4 hospitals and dozens of medical clinics across the Metro Detroit Area. This health system has been awarded many awards and recognitions for their use of technology in the medical field including the award for best hospital for heart care and also in pediatrics.
The hospitals within the Oakwood Health System include:
- Oakwood Hospital and Medical Center 18101 Oakwood Boulevard Dearborn, Michigan 48124
- Oakwood Annapolis Hospital 33155 Annapolis Street Wayne, Michigan 48184
- Oakwood Heritage Hospital 10000 Telegraph Road (US 24) Taylor, Michigan 48180
- Oakwood Southshore Medical Center 5450 Fort Street (M-85) Trenton, Michigan 48183
Since the early 1980s Oakwood Community Outreach has reflected their core values of Compassion, Respect, Excellence, Diversity and Ownership, and has maintained a seamless dialogue between healthcare professionals and consumers.
Teen Health Centers
Youth in the community can receive healthcare through the Oakwood Teen Health Centers. They provide a wide variety of services through school-based and school-linked programs. The mission of the Oakwood Teen Health Centers is to positively impact the health of adolescents and young adults in partnership with them and their families, schools and communities.
There are three teen health centers and two elementary school clinics:
- Oakwood Inkster Teen Health Center 734.729.3650
- Oakwood Romulus Teen Health Center at Romulus High School 9650 South Wayne Road Romulus, Michigan 48174 734.941.1400
- Oakwood Taylor Teen Health Center 19275 Northline Southgate, Michigan 48195 734.287.2076
- Jefferson-Barns Elementary School Clinic in Wayne-Westland, 734.721.4295
- Lincoln Elementary School Clinic in Wayne-Westland, 734.728.2423
General Medical Services
Healthcare services available to youth ages 10-21. Available services include:
- Primary healthcare
- Sports, school, and work physicals
- Diagnosis and treatment of routine illnesses and injuries
- Pap smears and pelvic exams
- Testing and treatment of sexually transmitted infections
- HIV testing and counseling
- Referrals to other services
- No abortions
Through a variety of innovative and award-winning programs, the Oakwood Teen Health Centers help young people make healthy choices.
-Peer education programs related to nutrition and fitness, substance abuse, violence, sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy prevention
-Presentations by Teen Center staff and teen peer educators to school, community, religious, professional and parent groups on topics such as:
- Alcohol, tobacco, and other drug prevention
- Nutrition, fitness and obesity prevention
- HIV/AIDS prevention and risk reduction
- Adolescent development and other health topics
- Violence Prevention
-After-school and summer youth programs – giving teens healthy ways to spend their free time
-Health insurance outreach, education and application assistance
Mental Health/Counseling Services
The Oakwood Teen Health Centers offer a wide variety of mental health/counseling services designed to help teens and young adults face the many challenges in their lives – addiction, violence, grief, depression, abuse.
-Individual and family counseling
-Anger management groups
-First-time and early juvenile offender diversion program
-Referrals to other services
Family Planning Program - Taylor
Family planning services are provided at the Taylor Teen Health Center only – a non-school-based health center. Family planning services cannot be offered in school-based clinics.
The family planning program offers:
-General health assessments
-Information on all contraceptive choices, including abstinence
-A full range of contraceptive methods available through the program or by referral
-Pregnancy testing and referrals for prenatal care