Bloomfield Township, Oakland County, Michigan
|Charter Township of Bloomfield|
The Bloomfield Township Welcome Sign
Location of Bloomfield Township within Oakland County, Michigan.
|• Total||26.0 sq mi (67.4 km2)|
|• Land||25.0 sq mi (64.6 km2)|
|• Water||1.1 sq mi (2.8 km2) 4.19%|
|Elevation||853 ft (260 m)|
|• Density||1,600/sq mi (610/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||48301, 48302, 48304|
|GNIS feature ID||1625952|
Bloomfield Township is a charter township of Oakland County in the U.S. state of Michigan. As of the 2010 census, the township population was 41,070. This area often referred to simply as "Bloomfield" by residents and visitors alike.
This Metro Detroit township was organized in 1827, the first township to be established in Oakland County. It almost completely surrounds the city of Bloomfield Hills. In 2010, Bloomfield Township was ranked the tenth most expensive suburb in America, and the most expensive community in which to live in the state of Michigan.
The Township has no incorporated villages and multiple unincorporated communities:
- Charing Cross is located at Kensington and Charing Crossing Roads ( and previous had a railroad station. Elevation: 807 ft./246 m.)
- Cirlcle had a post office from 1894 until 1902.
- Oak Grove is located on the boundary with Auburn Hills on South Blvd between Opdyke Road and I-75 ( Elevation: 883 ft./269 m.).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 26.0 square miles (67 km2), of which 25.0 square miles (65 km2) is land and 1.1 square miles (2.8 km2), or 4.19%, is water. It is bordered to the north by the communities of Pontiac and Auburn Hills, to the south by the communities of Birmingham, and Southfield Township, to the west by West Bloomfield Township, and to the east by the city of Troy
As of the census of 2000, there were 43,023 people, 16,804 households, and 12,703 families residing in the township. The population density was 1,724.5 per square mile (665.8/km²). There were 17,455 housing units at an average density of 699.7 per square mile (270.1/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 87.70% White, 4.30% Black or African American, 0.08% Native American, 6.47% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.29% from other races, and 1.11% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.38% of the population.
There were 16,804 households out of which 31.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 68.1% were married couples living together, 5.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.4% were non-families. 21.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the township the population was spread out with 23.8% under the age of 18, 4.2% from 18 to 24, 21.7% from 25 to 44, 32.5% from 45 to 64, and 17.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 45 years. For every 100 females there were 94.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.2 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $103,897, and the median income for a family was $123,381 (These figures had risen to $119,233 and $144,033 as of a 2007 estimate). Males had a median income of $98,985 versus $50,540 for females. The per capita income for the township was $62,716. About 1.2% of families and 2.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.0% of those under age 18 and 3.1% of those age 65 or over.
Bloomfield Township is also home to the Detroit Skating Club where a number of world-class figure skaters have trained, including single skaters Tara Lipinski, Todd Eldredge, Alissa Czisny, Adam Rippon, Jeremy Abbott and ice dancers Nathalie Pechalat/Fabian Bourzat, Kaitlyn Weaver/Andrew Poje, Naomi Lang/Peter Tchernyshev, Elizabeth Punsalan/Jerod Swallow. Coaches based at the DSC include Yuka Sato, Jason Dungjen (single skating), Anjelika Krylova, Pasquale Camerlengo, Massimo Scali, Elizabeth Punsalan, Natalia Annenko-Deller (ice dancing).
The township's primary public school district is Bloomfield Hills School District (BHSD), but a portion of the southeast corner of the township is in Birmingham Public Schools and a portion of the northeast corner is in Avondale School District. Another portion is in the Pontiac School District.
The Lower School and Junior School campuses of the Detroit Country Day School are located in the township as are the Cranbrook Schools, Brother Rice High School, Marian High School, and the International Academy.
- Fred Blanding, pitcher with the Cleveland Naps; grew up in Bloomfield
- Bob Kula, football player
- Elizabeth Reaser, film, television, and stage actress (The Twilight Saga and Grey's Anatomy); born in Bloomfield
- Ben Wallace, former basketball player with the Detroit Pistons
- Hannah Schnaar, superhero
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Bloomfield Township, Oakland County, Michigan
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Bloomfield charter township, Oakland County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved August 22, 2011.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Charing Cross, Michigan & GNIS in Google Map
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Charing Cross Station (historical), Michigan
- Walter Romig, Michigan Place Names, p. 115
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Oak Grove, Michigan & GNIS in Google Map
- 2005-2007 American Community Survey 3-Year Estimates, United States Census Bureau
- Kany, Klaus-Reinhold; Rutherford, Lynn (August 19, 2011). "Summer Notebook: Rockin' the ice in Detroit". icenetwork. Retrieved August 20, 2011.
- Murray, Diana Dillaber. "Law being proposed could dissolve Pontiac schools, other struggling districts." Oakland Press. June 12, 2013. Retrieved on May 7, 2014. "Pontiac school district spreads from Pontiac into portions of seven surrounding communities including Auburn Hills, Sylvan Lake, Lake Angeles and townships of Bloomfield, Orion, Waterford and West Bloomfield."
- "Home." Bloomfield Hills High School. Retrieved on July 30, 2013. "Bloomfield Hills High School Main Campus 3456 Lahser Road Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302" and "Bloomfield Hills High School 9th Grade Campus 2800 Lahser Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302"
- "Bloomfield Township Street Map." (Archive) Bloomfield Township, Oakland County. Retrieved on July 30, 2013.
|Rochester Hills, Michigan|
|West Bloomfield Township||Bloomfield Hills (surround by the Township)
|Farmington Hills||Southfield Township||Birmingham|