Bilson on the set of Jumper, 2006
|Born||Rachel Sarah Bilson
August 25, 1981
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Rachel Sarah Bilson (born August 25, 1981) is an American actress. Bilson grew up in a California show business family, and made her television debut in 2003, subsequently becoming well known for playing Summer Roberts on the prime-time drama series The O.C. Bilson made her film debut in the 2006 film The Last Kiss and starred in the 2008 action/science fiction film Jumper. From 2011 to 2015, she starred as Dr. Zoe Hart on The CW's Hart of Dixie.
Bilson was born in Los Angeles, the daughter of Janice Stango, a sex therapist, and Danny Bilson, a writer, director, and producer. She has an older brother, and two younger half-sisters. Her mother is an Italian-American who was raised Catholic, while her father is Jewish. Bilson's father comes from a show business family: Her paternal grandfather is producer-director Bruce Bilson, she has a producer aunt who worked with Errol Morris on Fog of War, a great-grandfather, George Bilson, born in Leeds, UK, who ran the movie-trailer department at RKO Pictures, and a screenwriter great-grandmother, Hattie, whose credits include Pal, Canine Detective (1950).
Bilson had what has been described as a "self-destructive, rebellious period" during her teen years. When she was 14 or 16, (sources vary) she and a group of her brother's friends were involved in a head-on collision car accident on the Pacific Coast Highway. As a result, Bilson says she "basically died and then came back", has a scar above her right eye, and sometimes suffers from migraines and memory loss. She said the experience "changed" her, encouraging her to "stop... getting into trouble" and stopping her from "going down that road". As a high school senior, Bilson was an acquaintance of future singer Katharine McPhee, then a freshman.
Bilson attended Grossmont College, a community college in a suburb of San Diego, but dropped out after one year, taking her father's advice to pursue a professional acting career. She then made several appearances in commercials, including advertisements for Subway restaurants, Raisin Bran and Pepto-Bismol. She made her screen acting debut in early 2003, appearing in one episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter. Bilson was subsequently cast in The O.C., which debuted in August 2003. Her character, Summer Roberts, was initially intended to appear in only a few episodes, but became a series regular after a successful run, as Bilson's on-screen romance with Seth Cohen (Adam Brody) became a noted aspect of the series.
At the 2005 Teen Choice Awards, Bilson collected three awards: "Choice Hottie Female", "Choice TV Actress (Drama)" and "Best Onscreen TV Chemistry" (jointly won with Adam Brody). In 2005, Maxim magazine named her sixth in their annual "Hot 100 List"; in 2006, the publication awarded her #14. The UK edition of FHM Magazine named her 28th in the 2006 100 Sexiest Women in the World list, while the US Edition Ranked her 77th in 2005. Bilson was also named one of People magazine's "100 Most Beautiful People" in 2006.
Bilson's first film role was in The Last Kiss, a romantic comedy-drama also starring Zach Braff in 2006. She played a college student who seduces Braff's character. It was reported that she called for a body double during the sex scenes because she was uncomfortable being nude in front of the camera. One review of the film noted that Bilson played the role with "surprising depth", although another critic described her role as "Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction as an airhead valley girl with a hot bod".
In September 2006, Bilson refuted rumors she had been cast to star in a film version of the comic book character Wonder Woman; In late 2006, Bilson was cast in the film Doug Liman's thriller Jumper, as the replacement for actress Teresa Palmer; the film was released on February 14, 2008. She also appeared in a two-episode arc on The O.C. creator Josh Schwartz's NBC comedy, Chuck, and in the film New York, I Love You, and appeared in the 100th episode of How I Met Your Mother ("Girls Versus Suits") as Ted Mosby's latest love interest. In September 2008, she started shooting the indie romantic film Waiting For Forever, directed by James Keach. In September 2009 Rachel appeared as a celebrity guest judge in the third episode of Project Runway (season 6).
In 2011, Bilson starred in a The CW television show called Hart of Dixie executive produced by The O.C. creator Josh Schwartz where she plays Dr. Zoe Hart, a New Yorker who, after her dreams of becoming a heart surgeon fall apart, accepts an offer to work as a general practitioner in the fictional Gulf Coast town of Bluebell, Alabama. On May 7, 2015, the CW officially cancelled the show after four seasons.
Bilson and Adam Brody, her co-star on The O.C., dated for three years, ending in 2006. The following year, she met Hayden Christensen on the set of Jumper and they became engaged in 2008. In mid-2010, the couple split up but were dating again a few months later. Bilson and Christensen had their first child, daughter Briar Rose, on October 29, 2014.
Bilson has been recognized by several media sources as being a "fashion junkie". She has described herself as having a "vintage" sense of style, and has noted Kate Moss and Diane Keaton as inspirations. She approached DKNY Jeans in late 2007 with a view to design a clothing line with the fashion brand. Together they created Edie Rose. The collection was launched in September 2008. It consisted of mainly black and white separates with a splash of yellow that could easily work with an existing wardrobe. Her idea was to keep fashionable items accessible to young women by keeping the prices of each piece under $100. An advertising image was released in July 2008 which featured Bilson modelling her Edie Rose collection. She said she wanted to keep her fashion line "as separate as possible from Rachel Bilson the actress. I'm hoping people will appreciate it for the clothes, not the person behind them." Much of her fashion collection was lost when her home was burglarized in May 2009. Bilson's fashions and sense of style made her the unwitting target of the Bling Ring, who burglarized her home on several occasions.
|2006||The Last Kiss||Kim||Nominated—Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie Breakout – Female|
|2008||Jumper||Millie Harris||Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie Actress – Drama/Action Adventure|
|2009||New York, I Love You||Molly|
|2010||Waiting for Forever||Emma Twist|
|2013||The Bling Ring||Herself||Archived footage|
|2013||The To Do List||Amber Klark|
|2003||8 Simple Rules||Jenny||Episode: "Career Choices"|
|2003||Buffy the Vampire Slayer||Colleen||Episode: "Dirty Girls"|
|2003–07||The O.C.||Summer Roberts||Won—Teen Choice Award for Choice TV Actress Drama
Teen Choice Award for Choice TV Actress – Drama/Action Adventure
Teen Choice Award for Choice TV Chemistry (shared with Adam Brody)
Nominated—Teen Choice Award for Choice Breakout TV Star – Female
Teen Choice Award for Choice TV Actress – Drama/Action Adventure
|2004||That '70s Show||Christy||Episode: "5:15"|
|2007||Chuck||Lou Palone||Episodes: "Chuck Versus the Truth", "Chuck Versus the Imported Hard Salami"|
|2010, 2013, 2014||How I Met Your Mother||Cindy||4 episodes:
"Girls Versus Suits", "Big Days",
"Band or DJ?", "How Your Mother Met Me"
|2011–2015||Hart of Dixie||Dr. Zoe Hart||Lead role
Nominated—Teen Choice Award for Choice TV Actress Drama
|2012||Gossip Girl||Herself||Episode: "New York, I Love You XOXO"|
- Rachel Bilson at People.com
- Heidner, Dana (n.d.). "Exclusive: A Talk with Rachel Bilson’s mother Janice Stango". DanasHollywood.com. Retrieved 2014-05-22.
- Silverman, Stephen M (2007-02-22). "Rachel Bilson: My mama Gave Me Advice". People.
- Spencer, Amy (September 7, 2008). "Rachel Bilson‘s Divine Inspiration". New York Post. Archived from the original on September 10, 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-09.
- Gostin, Nicki (2011-11-11). "Rachel Bilson Talks 'Hart Of Dixie,' Kugel And Justin Bieber". Huffington Post.
- Editors, Parade (2011-10-06). "Rachel Bilson's Cozy Chicken Sputnik". Dashrecipes.com. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- Bried, Erin (May 2006). "Just beachy". Self (magazine): 36–38.
- Elsworth, Catherine (February 17, 2008). "Rachel Bilson: The OC star lands on her feet". The Daily Telegraph (UK). Retrieved 2014-05-22.
- "Rachel Bilson's car crash wake up". Monsters and Critics. 2006-09-20. Retrieved 2007-01-20.
- "'Bilson 'Died' In Car Accident". ContactMusic.com. World Entertainment News Network. May 5, 2006. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- "Bilson Relives Car Crash Terror". Teen Hollywood. 2006-10-10. Retrieved 2007-01-20.
- "Bilson Backed schoolmate McPhee During American Idol". ContactMusic.com. World Entertainment News Network. September 7, 2006. Retrieved 2007-01-20.
- O'Toole, Lesley (2006-10-31). "Rachel Bilson: She's the one". London: The Independent. Retrieved 2007-01-20.
- AP (2005-08-15). "Teen Choice awards". Melbourne: TheAge.com. Retrieved 2007-01-20.
- "Maxim Magazine Unveils Their "Hot 100" for 2005; Eva Longoria Crowned #1 This Year" (Press release). Maxim. 2005-05-10. Retrieved 2007-01-20.
- "Maxim Magazine Unveils Their 'Hot 100' for 2006" (Press release). Maxim. 2005-05-15. Retrieved 2007-01-20.
- "FHM 100 Sexiest Women in the World 2006". MyKensington.co.uk. 2006. Archived from the original on January 18, 2007. Retrieved 2007-01-20.
- "FHM 100 Sexiest Women 2005". FreeJose.com. 2005. Retrieved 2007-01-20.
- "RACHEL BILSON". People Magazine. 2006. Retrieved 2007-01-20.
- Wang, Li (2006-09-15). "Goofy Braff gets serious for mature take on modern relationships". PennLive.com. Retrieved 2007-01-20.
- Verniere, James (2006-09-15). "Boys don’t cry". The Boston Herald. Retrieved 2007-01-20.[dead link]
- Bilson, on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, September 15, 2006
- Tyler, Josh (2006-10-16). "Rachel Bilson Is A Jumper". Cinema Blend. Retrieved 2007-01-20.
- "Rachel Bilson ('The O.C.') to guest-star as potential love interest in multi-episode arc on NBC's new action-comedy series 'Chuck'" (Press release). NBC. 2007-09-13. Retrieved 2008-02-01.
- Joyce Eng (2 October 2009). "Rachel Bilson Appearing on How I Met Your Mother — As the Mother?". TVGuide.com. Retrieved 2009-10-02.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 7, 2015). "‘Hart Of Dixie’ Officially Cancelled After 4 Seasons". Deadline.com. Retrieved May 7, 2015.
- "Rachel Bilson to launch shoe range". Indiavision news. October 12, 2011.
- Rachel Bilson and Adam Brody split. Accessed 2009-11-15.
- Rachel Bilson and Hayden Christensen are engaged. Accessed 2009-04-20.
- "Engaged Rachel Bilson, Hayden Christensen "Taking a Break"". US Weekly. Retrieved 2010-06-18.
- "Rachel Bilson 'taking a break' from fiance Hayden Christensen". New York Post. 2010-06-17. Retrieved 2010-06-18.
- Shira, Dahvi (August 9, 2010). "Hayden Christensen & Rachel Bilson Called off the Engagement". People.com. Retrieved August 10, 2010.
- . Accessed 2010-11-09.
- "Rachel Bilson and Hayden Christensen 'dating again' months after calling off engagement". NY Daily News. 2010-11-09. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- Pearson, Ryan (2006-09-20). "Rachel Bilson, fashion junkie". PE.com. Retrieved 2007-01-20.[dead link]
- Fischer, Paul (2006-08-22). "Interview: Rachel Bilson "The Last Kiss"". Dark Horizons. Retrieved 2007-01-20.
- Guest (October 2006). "Rachel Bilson The Last Kiss Q&A". FutureMovies. Retrieved 2007-01-20.
- "Rachel Bilson to design Edie Rose collection for DKNY Jeans". Sassybella.com. 2008-03-13. Retrieved 2008-10-25.
- "Rachel Bilson Launches Edie Rose For DKNY Jeans". accesshollywood.com.
- "Rachel Bilson models her Edie Rose line for DKNY Jeans". Sassybella.com. 2008-03-13. Retrieved 2008-10-25.
- Rachel Bilson Edie Rose Interview. Accessed 2009-04-10.
- Chiu, Alexis. "Rachel Bilson's L.A. Home Is Burglarized". People.
- ABC News: "Exclusive: Inside Hollywood's 'Bling Ring'" page 1
- Vanity Fair: "The Suspects Wore Louboutins" Page 4
- "Rachel Bilson Believes Her Body Is Sacred & Only for Boyfriend To See". StarPulse.com. 2006-10-10. Retrieved 2007-01-20.
- "Behind The Design // Rachel Bilson + Ben Lovett design T-Shirts for Invisible Children".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rachel Bilson.|