Capital Region of Denmark
|Capital Region of Denmark|
|Region of Denmark|
|• Chairman||Vibeke Storm Rasmussen (Social Democrats)|
|• Total||2,568.29 km2 (991.62 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2013)|
|• Density||670/km2 (1,700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
The Capital Region of Denmark (Danish: Region Hovedstaden) is the easternmost administrative region of Denmark, established on January 1, 2007 as part of the 2007 Danish Municipal Reform, which replaced the traditional counties (Danish plural:"amter";singular:"amt") with five larger regions. At the same time, smaller municipalities were merged into larger units, cutting the number of municipalities from 271 to 98. The reform was implemented in Denmark on January 1, 2007.
The Capital Region of Denmark consists of the municipalities of Copenhagen and Frederiksberg, the former counties of Copenhagen and Frederiksborg, and the regional municipality of Bornholm. In Danish the name is Region Hovedstaden, which is one of five regions in Denmark.
Without the remote island municipality Bornholm, located 140 km (87 mi) southeast of Copenhagen, the population is around 1,700,000 on an area of 1,978.91 km² (764 sq. m.) with a density of around 850 per km² (2,200 per sq m), as opposed to around 670 (1,700) with all 29 municipalities included.
The primary function of Capital Region of Denmark, as with all the regions of Denmark, is to run the hospitals of the region.
The following hospitals sort under Capital Region of Denmark.
- Amager Hospital on the island of Amager, Copenhagen
- Bispebjerg Hospital in Copenhagen
- Bornholms Hospital on the island of Bornholm
- Frederiksberg Hospital in Frederiksberg
- Gentofte Hospital in Gentofte
- Glostrup Hospital in Glostrup
- Herlev Hospital in Herlev
- Hvidovre Hospital in Hvidovre
- Nordsjællands Hospital in Esbønderup, Frederikssund, Hillerød, Elsinore, and Hørsholm
- Region Hovedstadens Psykiatri – psychiatric hospital with many centers around the region
- Rigshospitalet in Copenhagen
- Sct. Hans Hospital in Roskilde
Media related to Region Hovedstaden at Wikimedia Commons