|Headquarters||Reliance Industries Limited, Nariman Point, Mumbai, India|
|Number of locations||1,577 retail stores (as of Mar 2014)|
|Key people||Mukesh Ambani (Chairman and MD)
Rob Cissell (CEO)
Shawn Gray (COO)
|Revenue||108 billion (US$1.8 billion)|
|Parent||Reliance Industries Limited|
|Divisions||Reliance Fresh, Reliance Digital|
Reliance Retail Ltd. is a subsidiary company of Reliance Industries. Founded in 2006 and based in Mumbai, it is the largest retailer in India in terms of revenue. Its retail outlets offer foods, groceries, apparel and footwear, lifestyle and home improvement products, electronic goods, and farm implements and inputs. The company’s outlets also provide vegetables, fruits and flowers. It focuses on consumer goods, consumer durables, travel services, energy, entertainment and leisure, and health and well-being products, as well as on educational products and services.
It has a total of 1,577 stores (as of March 2014) in India with an area of approx. 9 million square feet.
It had a turnover of Rs. 108 billion in the financial year 2012-13. Approx. 56 per cent of this revenue came from its 'value and other' segment that operates grocery chains Reliance Fresh, Reliance Super and Reliance Hyper.
Reliance Retail has announced revenues of Rs. 34.74 billion for the first quarter of 2013, showing 53% jump from 2012. The company also reported operating profit of Rs. 700 million for the same quarter. Reliance reported quarterly profit of Rs. 106 Crore (for Oct 2013 - Dec 2013).
Subsidiaries & divisions
There are over 45 Subsidiaries & divisions of Reliance Retail. Following is the list of major divisions:
- Reliance Fresh - Retail outlets of fruits, vegetables & groceries. This division is yet to become profitable.
- Reliance Digital - Consumer Electronics retail stores. It had 139 stores in Mar 2013.
- Reliance Jewels - Jewellery; It had revenues of approx. Rs. 8 billion in financial year 2012-13.
- Reliance Time Out - Lifestyle store of Books, Music, Movies, Toys, Gaming, Fragrances, Stationery.
- Reliance Trends, Reliance Footprint and Reliance Living - Apparel and Clothing. It had revenues of approx. Rs. 16 billion in financial year 2012-13.
- "Reliance Retail rejig: Ex-Walmart China execs Cissell & Gray to join as CEO & COO". Economic Times. 4 July 2011. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Annual Report 2012-13". RIL.com. 8 May 2013.
- "Ambani tops retailer list, too". Business Standard. Retrieved 19 Aug 2013.
- "Subsidiaries of Reliance Retail Limited". ril.com. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Few RIL retail arms still making losses". Business Standard. 11 May 2013. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Reliance Retail’s growth trail". The Hindu Businessline. 31 July 2013. Retrieved 19 August 2013.