Richard Nixon bibliography
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Richard Nixon bibliography includes publications by Former President Richard Nixon and books and articles about him and his policies.
- Foreign Relations of the United States: Nixon-Ford Administrations
By Richard Nixon
- The Challenges We Face: Edited and Compiled from the Speeches and Papers of Richard M. Nixon (1960) ISBN 0-7581-8739-4
- Six Crises, Doubleday (1962) ISBN 0-385-00125-8. Written following Nixon's 1960 presidential defeat to John F. Kennedy, this memoir includes the six major professional crises of Nixon's life to that point, including—in addition to the campaign against Kennedy—the Alger Hiss trial, the Checkers speech, and the Kitchen Debate with Kruschev.
- "The Second Office", The World Book Encyclopedia Year Book 1964, Field Enterprises Educational Corporation, 1964, ASIN B000K6CGVU.
- RN: The Memoirs of Richard Nixon Simon & Schuster (Reprint, 1978) ISBN 0-671-70741-8
- The Real War. Sidgwich Jackson (1980) ISBN 0-283-98650-6. Written as a cri de coeur against what RN saw as serious threats to U.S. security from Soviet expansionism in the late 1970s
- Leaders. Random House (1982) ISBN 0-446-51249-4. A character study of various leaders that RN came to know during his career.
- Real Peace. Sidgwick & Jackson Ltd (1984) ISBN 0-283-99076-7
- No More Vietnams Arbor House Publishing (1987) ISBN 0-87795-668-5
- 1999: Victory Without War Simon & Schuster (1988) ISBN 0-671-62712-0
- In the Arena: A Memoir of Victory, Defeat, and Renewal Simon & Schuster (1990) ISBN 0-671-72318-9. A more personal memoir than RN: The Memoirs of Richard Nixon, shows RN's reflections on life, politics and personal philosophy
- Seize The Moment: America's Challenge In A One-Superpower World Simon & Schuster (1992) ISBN 0-671-74343-0
- Beyond Peace. Random House (1994) ISBN 0-679-43323-6. Completed two weeks before his death and published posthumously
- Crowley, Monica. Nixon in Winter: His Final Revelations About Diplomacy, Watergate, and Life Out of the Arena (1998).
- Dean, John. Blind Ambition (1976).
- Drury, Allen. Courage and Hesitation: Notes and Photographs of the Nixon Administration (1971).
- Ehrlichman, John D. Witness to Power: The Nixon Years (1982).
- Gergen, David. Eyewitness to Power: The Essence of Leadership (2000).
- Haldeman, H. R. ('Bob') The Haldeman Diaries: Inside the Nixon White House (1994), abridged version; complete diaries were published on CD-ROM by Sony.
- Kissinger, Henry. White House Years (1979).
- Kissinger, Henry. Years of Upheaval (1982).
- Nixon, Edward & Karen Olson. The Nixons: A Family Portrait (2009). ISBN 978-1-935359-05-0.
- Price, Raymond. With Nixon (1977).
- Safire, William. Before the Fall. An Inside View of the Pre-Watergate White House (1975).
- Stans, Maurice H. One of the President's Men: Twenty Years with Eisenhower and Nixon (1995).
- Aitken, Jonathan. Nixon: A Life (1993).
- Ambrose, Stephen E. Nixon: The Education of a Politician 1913–1962 (1987).
- Ambrose, Stephen E. Nixon: The Triumph of a Politician, 1962–1972 (1989).
- Ambrose, Stephen E. Nixon: Ruin and Recovery 1973–1990 (1991).
- Black, Conrad. Richard M. Nixon: A Life in Full (2007).
- Greenberg, David. Nixon's Shadow: The History of an Image (2003). Important study of how Nixon was perceived by media and scholars.
- Hoff, Joan. Nixon Reconsidered (1994).
- Morgan, Iwan. On Nixon (2002).
- Morris, Roger. Richard Milhous Nixon: The Rise of an American Politician (1990) (ISBN 978-0805018349).
- Parmet, Herbert S. Richard Nixon and His America (1990).
- Reeves, Richard. President Nixon: Alone in the White House (2002).
- Wicker, Tom. One of Us: Richard Nixon and the American Dream (1991).
- Bochin, Hal W. Richard Nixon: Rhetorical Strategist (1990)
- Dallek, Robert (2007). Nixon and Kissinger: Partners in Power. Harper Collins. ISBN 0-06-072230-4.
- Evans, Rowland and Robert D. Novak. Nixon in the White House: The Frustration of Power (1971).
- Friedman, Leon and William F. Levantrosser, eds. Richard M. Nixon: Politician, President, Administrator (1991), essays by scholars
- Friedman, Leon and William F. Levantrosser, eds. Watergate and Afterward: The Legacy of Richard M. Nixon (1992), essays by scholars
- Genovese, Michael A. The Nixon Presidency: Power and Politics in Turbulent Times (1990)
- Greene, John Robert The Limits of Power: The Nixon and Ford Administrations (1992)
- Gellman, Irwin The Contender: Richard Nixon: The Congress Years, 1946 to 1952 (1999)
- Mason, Robert. Richard Nixon and the Quest for a New Majority (2004). 289 pp.
- Matusow, Allen J. Nixon's Economy: Booms, Busts, Dollars and Votes. U. Press of Kansas, 1998. 323 pp.
- Marvillas, Anthony Rama. "Nixon in Nixonland" Southern California Quarterly 2002 84(2): 169–181. ISSN 0038-3929
- Perlstein, Rick. Nixonland: The Rise of a President and the Fracturing of America (2008) 881 pp.
- Reichley, A. James Conservatives in an Age of Change: The Nixon and Ford Administrations (1981)
- Schudson, Michael. Watergate in American Memory: How We Remember, Forget, and Reconstruct the Past (1993)
- Small, Melvin. The Presidency of Richard Nixon (2003)
- Summers, Anthony. The Arrogance of Power The Secret World of Richard Nixon (2000)
- White, Theodore. The Making of the President 1968 : A narrative History of American politics in Action (1969)
- White, Theodore. The Making of the President, 1972 (1973)
- Wills, Garry. Nixon Agonistes: The Crisis of the Self-Made Man (1969)
- Woodward, Bob and Carl Bernstein. All The President's Men
- Woodward, Bob and Carl Bernstein. The Final Days
- Bundy, William. A Tangled Web: The Making of Foreign Policy in the Nixon Presidency. 1998. 647 pp. online review
- Daum, Andreas W.; Gardner, Lloyd C.; Mausbach, Wilfred, eds. America, the Vietnam War, and the World : Comparative and International Perspectives (Publications of the German Historical Institute) (2003)
- Gaddis, John Lewis Strategies of Containment: A Critical Appraisal of Postwar American National Security Policy 1982.
- Goh, Evelyn. "Nixon, Kissinger, and the 'Soviet Card' in the U.S. Opening to China, 1971–1974." Diplomatic History 2005 29(3): 475-502. ISSN 0145-2096 Fulltext in Ingenta and Ebsco; Kissinger's use of the "Soviet card" in relations with China between 1971 and 1974 offers diplomatic historians an interesting, if not yet conclusive, perspective on the rise and fall of détente and the problems of "triangular diplomacy." Kissinger sought to play up the Soviet threat to the Chinese as a way of promoting closer relations with the PRC. While at times he suggested a U.S.-PRC alliance, declassified sources indicate that his suggestions were more hyperbole than actual U.S. policy. He was really using the Soviet threat as a means to a closer relationship with China, but one that was still subordinated to improved U.S.–Soviet relations. Unfortunately for Kissinger and the Nixon administration, the triangular diplomacy failed because of Chinese suspicions and the Watergate crisis.
- Herschensohn, Bruce. An American Amnesia: How the U.S. Congress Forced the Surrenders of South Vietnam and Cambodia (2010)
- Kimball, Jeffrey P. Nixon's Vietnam War (2002)
- Levantrosser, William F. ed. Cold War Patriot and Statesman, Richard M. Nixon (1993), essays by scholars and senior officials.
- Shawcross, William. Sideshow: Kissinger, Nixon, and the Destruction of Cambodia (1979), Simon and Schuster. Strong critique of Cambodia policy. Kissinger responds directly to Shawcross' claims in appendix to Years of Upheaval.
- Thornton, Richard C. The Nixon-Kissinger Years: Reshaping America's Foreign Policy (1989)
- Tucker, Nancy Bernkopf. "Taiwan Expendable? Nixon and Kissinger Go to China" Journal of American History 2005 92(1): 109–135. ISSN 0021-8723 Fulltext in History Cooperative and Ebsco. Analyzes U.S. policy toward China and finds that Nixon and Kissinger pursued a deeply flawed and ultimately harmful path toward establishing relations with Communist China. Nixon and Kissinger operated in secrecy in order to hide the "collateral damage" of their China policy, particularly the damage it did to the former U.S. client state of Taiwan.
- Warner, Geoffrey, “Nixon, Kissinger, and the Breakup of Pakistan, 1971,” International Affairs (London), 81 (Oct. 2005), 1097–1118.
Domestic policy and matters
- Burke, Vincent J. Nixon's Good Deed: Welfare Reform (1974)
- Flippen, J. Brooks. Nixon and the Environment (2000).
- Hood, J. Larry. "The Nixon Administration and the Revised Philadelphia Plan for Affirmative Action: A Study in Expanding Presidential Power and Divided Government" Presidential Studies Quarterly 23 (Winter 1993): 145–67
- Kotlowski, Dean J. Nixon's Civil Rights: Politics, Principle, and Policy (2001).
- Kotlowski, Dean J. ; "Richard Nixon and the Origins of Affirmative Action" The Historian. Volume: 60. Issue: 3. 1998. pp. 523 ff.
- Kotlowski, Dean J. "Deeds Versus Words: Richard Nixon and Civil Rights Policy." New England Journal of History 1999–2000 56(2–3): 122–144. Abstract: Political considerations and his own personal views gave President Nixon a mixed record in the area of civil rights, which included such advances as the implementation of affirmative action, school desegregation, and other types of economic support promoting racial equality, but opposed busing, ignored women, and made compromises to placate Southern conservatives.
- Kutler, Stanley I. The Wars of Watergate: The Last Crisis of Richard Nixon. (1990).
- McAndrews, Lawrence J.; "The Politics of Principle: Richard Nixon and School Desegregation" The Journal of Negro History, Vol. 83 #3, 1998 pp 187+
- Olson, Keith W. Watergate: The Presidential Scandal That Shook America. (2003). 220 pp.
- O'Reilly, Kenneth Nixon's Piano: Presidents and Racial Politics from Washington to Clinton (1995)
- Matusow, Allen J. Nixon's Economy: Booms, Busts, Dollars, and Votes (1998)
- Schell, Jonathan "The Time of Illusion" Vintage (1976)
- Sussman, Glen and Daynes, Byron W. "Spanning the Century: Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt, Richard Nixon, Bill Clinton, and the Environment." White House Studies 2004 4(3): 337–354. ISSN 1535-4768
- Feeney, Mark. Nixon at the Movies: A Book About Belief. Chicago: University of Chicago, 2004.
- Frick, Daniel. Reinventing Richard Nixon: A Cultural History of An American Obsession.
- Part One of Booknotes interview with Nixon on Seize the Moment, February 23, 1992.
- Part Two of Booknotes interview with Nixon on Seize the Moment, March 1, 1992.
- Booknotes interview with Bruce Oudes on From: The President, Richard Nixon's Secret Files, April 16, 1989.
- Booknotes interview with Tom Wicker on One of Us: Richard Nixon and the American Dream, April 7, 1991.
- Booknotes interview with Monica Crowley on Nixon off the Record: His Commentary on People and Politics, September 29, 1996.
- Booknotes interview with Fred Maroon on The Nixon Years, 1969-1974, White House to Watergate, November 14, 1999.