SHARE Inc. is a volunteer-run user group for IBM mainframe computers that was founded in 1955 by Los Angeles-area IBM 701 users. It evolved into a forum for exchanging technical information about programming languages, operating systems, database systems, and user experiences for enterprise users of small, medium, and large-scale IBM computers such as IBM S/360, IBM S/370, zSeries, pSeries, and xSeries.
A major resource of SHARE from the beginning was the SHARE library. Originally, IBM distributed its operating systems in source form and systems programmers commonly made small local additions or modifications and exchanged them with other users. The SHARE library and the process of distributed development it fostered was one of the major origins of open source software.
SHARE later incorporated as a non-profit corporation based in Chicago, Illinois and as of 2013[update] is located at 330 N. Wabash Ave. The organization produces a newsletter and conducts two major educational meetings per year.
In September 1999, GUIDE International, the other major IBM mainframe users group, ceased operation. Although SHARE did not formally take over GUIDE, many of the activities and projects that were undertaken under the aegis of GUIDE moved to SHARE, and GUIDE suggested to its members that they join SHARE. In August 2000, SHARE took over the guide.org domain name.
In 2005 SHARE's membership of 20,000 represented some 2,300 enterprise IBM customers.
- Varian, Melinda (August 1997). "VM and the VM Community: Past, Present, and Future". Princeton University. p. 54. Archived from the original on May 13, 2006.
- "MEMO OCO:BDAY - Today is OCO's tenth birthday". February 8, 1993.
- Dave Pitts' IBM 7090/7094 Page – An example of distributed source: Page contains a link to IBM 7090/94 IBSYS source, including COBOL and FORTRAN compilers.
- Gardner, David (August 17, 2005). "SHARE, IBM User Group, To Celebrate 50th Anniversary". TechWeb News. Archived from the original on March 24, 2006.
- Thibodeau, Patrick (March 2, 2005). "Share user group looks back at 50 years with buttons, ditties". Computerworld.
- Official website
- SHARE Library
- SHARE Reference Manual for the IBM 704 (1959)
- Index of SHARE, Inc. Records, 1955-1994 at Charles Babbage Institute, University of Minnesota.
- Index of GUIDE International Records, 1970-1992 at Charles Babbage Institute, University of Minnesota.
|This article about a scientific organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|