|Alex Gorsky at Wharton School global forum|
|CEO of Johnson & Johnson|
|Preceded by||William C. Weldon|
March 20, 1960
|Residence||New York City, New York|
|Alma mater||West Point
Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
Alex Gorsky graduated in 1982 with a bachelor's of science from the U.S. Military Academy at Westpoint, New York. He spent six years in the United States Army, finishing his career with the rank of captain and earning the Ranger tab and Airborne wings. He served in Europe, the United States, and Panama. In 1996, he obtained a master's in business administration from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
He spent eight years (having started in 1988) in various sales, marketing, and management roles at Janssen Pharmaceutica, a Johnson & Johnson unit based in New Jersey. He joined Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation in 2004 as Chief Operating Officer and Head of General Medicines.
He was appointed Head of Pharma North America and Chief Executive Officer of Novartis in fall 2005. He oversaw the growth of its cardiovascular franchise, which included products Diovan and Lotrel, and the launch of Enablex, a product for overactive bladder. He was also involved in the launch of Focalin XR for ADHD. During his tenure, he developed Novartis' Medicare strategy and created several Novartis awards.
He rejoined Johnson & Johnson, where he served as the worldwide chairman of the surgical care group at Johnson & Johnson and as the chairman of the company's pharmaceutical business in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. He was the worldwide chairman of the medical devices and diagnostics group at Johnson & Johnson, serving in that role until September 2009. He now serves as CEO.
- "Johnson & Johnson - Investor Relations - Management Team". Investor.jnj.com. 2012-04-26. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "J&J Names Alex Gorsky CEO to Replace William Weldon". Bloomberg. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- "Alex Gorsky-10 Fortune 500 military CEOs". CNN Money. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- Alex Gorsky. "Alex Gorsky: Executive Profile & Biography - Businessweek". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "Stock Quotes & Company News". Reuters.com. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "Alex Gorsky, MBA". Stanford University. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- "Biography of Alex Gorsky : The Wharton Global Alumni Forum-Zürich". Whartonzurich07.com. Retrieved 2012-08-13.