Sand Island (Hawaii)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2006)|
It was known as Quarantine Island during the nineteenth century, when it was used to quarantine ships believed to carry contagious passengers.
During World War II, Sand Island was used as an Army internment camp to house Japanese Americans as well as expatriates from Germany, Italy, and other Axis countries living in Hawaii. The camp was closed in March 1943, and most of the internees moved to the Honouliuli Internment Camp.
During the 1970s, over 100 homeless native Hawaiians cleaned up the garbage that filled the island, built homes and took up residence. In the early 1980s, 180 acres of the island were reclaimed by the State of Hawaii for industrial and recreational development. Those who had taken up residence were evicted without compensation.
Geography and population
Sand island climate is mild year round with very little seasonal difference in temperatures, however there is a very distinct difference between the wet and dry season. Summer high temperatures range from upper 80's to low 90's °F, with winter highs range from upper 70's to mid 80's °F. Precipitation is light year round, more so in the Summer. There is approximately 3,100 hours of sunshine annually.
- Kashima, Tetsuden (2003), Judgment without trial: Japanese American imprisonment during World War II, The Scott and Laurie Oki series in Asian American studies, University of Washington Press, ISBN 978-0-295-98299-1
- Sand Island: Blocks 9000 thru 9006, Census Tract 57, Honolulu County, Hawaii, Census 2000, United States Census Bureau, retrieved 2009-12-29 Unknown parameter
|bo=ignored (help); Unknown parameter
|b=ignored (help); Unknown parameter
|dh=ignored (help); Unknown parameter
|ft=ignored (help); Unknown parameter
|pz=ignored (help); Unknown parameter
|dt=ignored (help); Unknown parameter
|ms=ignored (help); Unknown parameter
|cy=ignored (help); Unknown parameter
|cx=ignored (help); Unknown parameter
|g=ignored (help); Unknown parameter
|t=ignored (help); Unknown parameter
|if=ignored (help); Unknown parameter
|zf=ignored (help); Unknown parameter
|l=ignored (help); Unknown parameter
|bl=ignored (help); Unknown parameter
|dw=ignored (help); Unknown parameter
|zl=ignored (help); Unknown parameter
- Keith, Victoria and Rochford, Jerry, "The Sand Island Story", Honolulu, HI. Nā Maka o ka 'Āina. 1981. (VHS video)
- U.S. National Park Service
- Honolulu Star Bulletin.com June 2, 2004
- Honolulu Advertiser.com September 4, 2006
- Honolulu Advertiser.com December 6, 2006
- Sand Island State Recreation Area - official site