|Traded as||OMX: SAA1V|
|Key people||Jaakko Rauramo (Chairman), Harri-Pekka Kaukonen (President and CEO)|
|Products||Magazines and press distribution, publishing|
|Revenue||€2.761 billion (2010)|
|Operating income||€392.7 million (2010)|
|Profit||€299.6 million (2010)|
|Total assets||€3.203 billion (end 2010)|
|Total equity||€1.376 billion (end 2010)|
|Employees||15,405 (FTE, end 2010)|
|Divisions||Sanoma Magazines, Sanoma News, Sanoma Learning & Literature, Sanoma Entertainment, Sanoma Trade|
Sanoma Oyj (formerly SanomaWSOY) is a leading media group in the Nordic countries with operations in over 10 European countries, based in Helsinki. The group is also among the top five European magazine publishers and has a strong position, in addition to its native Finland, in Belgium, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia and Ukraine.
SanomaWSOY was formed in 1999 with the merger of Sanoma Corporation, WSOY (Werner Söderström Osakeyhtiö; Werner Söderström Corporation) and Helsinki Media Company. The group reverted to the name Sanoma Corporation in October 2008. On 5 March 2012, the group announced that it had sold R-Kioski, a Finland based Finnish–Baltic kiosk chain with 1,048 outlets, to Norway's Reitan Group for roughly 1 billion Norwegian krone. The group had been working on the purchase for a decade, but previous negotiations had stranded as Sanoma had demanded a merger where they owned 51 percent. The purchase brought the Reitan Group to 2,500 kiosk outlets, making it the second-largest kiosk group in Europe.
The company consists of five divisions:
- Sanoma Magazines: Magazine publishing and online operations
- Sanoma News: Newspaper publishing, online operations and printing
- Sanoma Learning & Literature: Educational publishing, publishing, and business information and services
- Sanoma Entertainment: TV, online gaming services, and radio
- Sanoma Trade: Kiosk operations, press distribution, bookstores and entertainment
Sanoma's stock is listed on the Helsinki Stock Exchange. Its biggest owners include Aatos Erkko and other members of the Erkko family. The newspaper Helsingin Sanomat that was founded in 1889 as Päivälehti, is one of the single most significant products of the group.
- "Annual Results 2010". Sanoma Corporation. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- "Media in Finland". University Network for Communication Studies. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "SanomaWSOY Becomes Sanoma 1 October 2008" (Press release). Sanoma Corporation. 2 April 2008. Retrieved 25 July 2009.
- "Blir Europas nest største kioskselskap". Dagens Næringsliv (in Norwegian). 5 March 2012. Archived from the original on 5 March 2012. Retrieved 5 March 2012.
- "Group Structure". Sanoma Corporation. Retrieved 25 July 2009.